You Guys/Gals Are in for Another Treat

The whole impetus for this was I was doing some critical listening and I noticed that certain amp models didn't have the same distortion "texture" as the real amp.
"Distortion texture" may be the phrase I've been trying to think of for many years when I try to describe "that sound" I'm chasing that I hear in an amp of someone else playing but can't seem to get myself. Sometimes I think of it as a "brushy, airy" texture or even some "hair" on a tone instead of a more "clean, solid" sounding tone.

You have a child under the age of 1 too?

Hey, if you have a kid under the age of 1 that can do more liguistically than string a series of incoherent sentences together, they're definitely in the top percentile!

Last edited:
Despite it sounding like chit, the current firmware has been excellent ;D I look forward to playing some country licks on these new amps so I can hear it YeeHaw
In fact this is what I feel sometimes about these update like “forget what you have this one is 10 times better “ . So the sound we have with the 3 actually was not so good so ? 😶

I'm working on it. Every amp model needs to be reentered. Lot of work. So far it is sounding fantastic. It's hard to keep focused as I get distracted playing.

It can be a bit shocking at first. Those "vintagey" amps are quite a bit different in some cases. Spitty, gnarly, nasty, angry sounding. The "polished" sound is gone. The low end is tighter. High gain amps growl and chug with a vocal quality. Medium gain amps purr like a big cat. Low gain amps sound big and chimey.

The whole impetus for this was I was doing some critical listening and I noticed that certain amp models didn't have the same distortion "texture" as the real amp. The amps sounded like rubbing two rocks together while the models sounded more like sandpaper. There was also a vocal quality. The amps went "chug, chug, yowwwwww" while the models went "chit, chit, yeeeeee". That led to a complete rewrite of the preamp algorithms. What I learned from that I applied to improvements in the power amp algorithms.
I actually could feel what you're talking about. Especially in the ENGL Savage and ENGL Powerball that felt pretty mushy and crackly. At least for me. I'm interested if you finally got that JP2C from sweetwater to check that "SHRED" mode if it actually adds gain or simply a high treble boost

In fact this is what I feel sometimes about these update like “forget what you have this one is 10 times better “ . So the sound we have with the 3 actually was not so good so ? 😶

You have to understand that Cliff (and others) have honed their critical listening skills to a fine point, so an update that you feel is being portrayed as a massive difference is often likely to be heard as a rather trivial (or imperceptible) difference when listening casually. If you're viewing an object through a macro lens at 10x magnification, you'll see differences that are unlikely to be obvious to a casual observer. Make no mistake, subtle changes do add up over time, but generally speaking, to hear a difference with regard to a particular firmware often requires decent critical listening skills and a proper A/B. More importantly, some changes are less about tone and more about feel.

Having said that, I'm definitely interested in test driving the new firmware.

I'm excited for this next release - as it does sound that it will be quite a step forward from what we have. With that said, I'm not letting myself build up expectations so great only to be "disappointed" when it doesn't meet them!

Then, if it blows away my exceptions! The more the better!

I actually could feel what you're talking about. Especially in the ENGL Savage and ENGL Powerball that felt pretty mushy and crackly. At least for me. I'm interested if you finally got that JP2C from sweetwater to check that "SHRED" mode if it actually adds gain or simply a high treble boost
The shred mode add gain and some light trebles. It act like an overdrive boost in the end. And I agree with both engl (brrrr )

I'm also not expecting a huge change. We've all agreed Axefx is VERY accurate, so, that being true, there simply is no room for big changes in the accuracy department. Will be interesting to see what this is.

I'm also not expecting a huge change. We've all agreed Axefx is VERY accurate, so, that being true, there simply is no room for big changes in the accuracy department. Will be interesting to see what this is.
Well, I agree it's very accurate. The additional "perfectly accurate" claim has been around as long as I can remember, and every firmware seems to get perfecter. So...

Many firmware ago, in the ultra ages, I was able to tell what and where there was difference between emulation and real. With Ares sometimes I "feel" something "wrong" but to me it is very hard, or impossible, to tell which are the difference! I understand what Cliff explained, yeah... sometimes I got the taste of different texture... but if Cliff asked me to tell him what it is (the high? the mid? the low? the gain?)... I can't tell!

Reactions: Rex
From the company?
From lots of people. But mainly I'm saying that I think Cliff still has some tricks up his sleeve. And I also appreciate that the Fractal crew tends to think beyond merely reproducing old classics, and looks to what can be done better in the digital realm.

Many firmware ago, in the ultra ages, I was able to tell what and where there was difference between emulation and real. With Ares sometimes I "feel" something "wrong" but to me it is very hard, or impossible, to tell which are the difference! I understand what Cliff explained, yeah... sometimes I got the taste of different texture... but if Cliff asked me to tell him what it is (the high? the mid? the low? the gain?)... I can't tell!
+1000 this. I sometimes take friends to see the local community orchestra (vs. the top-tier one in the region) and they enjoy the show, while I'm cringing internally at the musical mistakes and intonation issues. They just can't hear it. It takes time to learn how to hear, and from what I can tell, the Fractal team (mostly Cliff?) have spent a great deal of time learning how to hear in ways most of us just can't, for lack of that same time spent learning.

I don’t know...Cliff saying that some amps are going to be really different makes me think that some amps are going to be really different.
So the forever “perfectly accurate” thing, falls down . I m not against differences . But I dislike the fact that users are always wrong when they notice a difference or something they dislike . And this is like this since axe 2 (and maybe before ) . If you said that is perfect and then change all the poweramp and preamps one by one 🙄 . Hm. Don’t know. If we just can have a “warmer feel “ and more dimension to the sound I ll take it 🌹

Last edited:
So the forever “perfectly accurate” thing, falls down . I m not against differences . But I dislike the fact that users are always wrong when they notice a difference or something they dislike . And this is like this since axe 2 (and maybe before ) . If you said that is perfect and then change all the poweramp and preamps one by one 🙄 . Hm. Don’t know . We will see . If we just can have a “warmer feel “ and more dimension to the sound I ll take it 🌹
This one is certain to be perfectly accurater

Back
Top Bottom