Axe-Fx III and Headphones

I happen to like headphones and have quite a few to play with.

My general pair that I'm using that are my favorite with the AXE (but a very pricey option) are Beyerdynamic T1s. The T1s take a lot to drive decently and the AXE does a nice job of it.

At a much more reasonable price, but at the cost of time to insert / remove, my Etymotic ER4sr IEMs work great with the added bonus that you won't be able to hear anything at all around you while you are playing.

Back from the dead! Hello again Axe III users, OP here and after 2 years and after heavy use I can vouch for the Blue Mix-Fi's. They sound great with the Axe III, and that's an understatement. Skip this next part if you only want to read about the Blues. I also have two other open ear sets being the AKG 7xx which sound nice but lack bass, as do most open backs. The problem with these is their design, cheap super thin wire (24G or smaller) and one of the wires came disconnected after only 2 months. While trying to fix another wire came off, and another. Of the 4 internal connections 3 came off, and they're not the easiest to get to. So onto my 3rd set of cans, the Phillips Fidelio X2. I was looking for something with more treble response, i read tons of reviews and these were it, they have treble and detail in spades. Great for listening to high quality recordings, horrible for poorly recorded live recordings. Bass response is much better than the AKG's and they have higher highs, I just wanted to hear the hi-hat and cymbals and these were a great choice.

Ok Blue Mix-Fi's formerly Mo-fi's
I've never listened to any elite high priced cans like Senn HD800, Audeze LCD " , or anything by Stax :oops:. But in the $300 range I have a pretty good idea what's decent. While the above Open-backed cans sound great for well recorded music, I wouldn't recommend them for just guitar, not unless you want that fuzzy, buzzy, ice picky, sound you get with an FRFR without a cab in the chain. So forget those. The Blue Mix-Fi's are much more subdued in the highs, they are still there, just not as "in your face." In a nutshell bass mid and treble are well balanced, great for this app, nicely detailed, can get ripping loud! So be careful with the amp on. I highly recommend them for the Axe, the just sound great, plenty of punch for a headphone, especially with the bass boost which I only use listening to poorly recorded concerts on Youtube. They've been really durable, the ear cups are holding up well despite some reviews I've seen. One con, they're a bit heavy. Difference between Mix'Fi and Sadie? $100. I would hope the Sadies sound better. The Blue ads say they do. Also look at used or open box models on eBay. I paid $125 for a new open box deal and they were flawless. Good luck.

..... so I think I ll do the purchase today ... still hesitating a bit between Lola and Sadie .... really hard to make the choice as I don t think preamp is useful with the Axe ...
Really don t know which sounds better and why ...
Last advises ...?????
Thanks

Sadie is heavy! Especially for playing guitar and tilting your head forward, it adds stress to your neck. The other problem I had with the Sadie (I think the Lola is the same way), that they sit on your ear and not around. The clamping force is so strong that, although the last time I used them was a few days ago, the cartilages still hurt in my ears.
Also, your ears could sweat because they don't ventilate.
The sound is good! :D

Sadie is heavy! Especially for playing guitar and tilting your head forward, it adds stress to your neck. The other problem I had with the Sadie (I think the Lola is the same way), that they sit on your ear and not around. The clamping force is so strong that, although the last time I used them was a few days ago, the cartilages still hurt in my ears.
Also, your ears could sweat because they don't ventilate.
The sound is good! :D
Can you tell me about the sound ..??
Differences between them ....

Better confort i suppose ,
Can you tell me a little of the sound compare to blue products ?
Thanks

The Sadie, has powerful bass, too much for me. High mids have a dip which I miss having with the guitar.

HD650 has a much smoother, more balanced tone overall. The stereo image is much better and you can hear more details.
You can hear above 10KHz with it, which means presets could have buzz and fizz. It could be annoying, but I prefer it, so I know what I need to dial out.

You can get them for $399 at sweetwater for like $17/month.
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...open-back-audiophile-and-reference-headphones

The Sadie, has powerful bass, too much for me. High mids have a dip which I miss having with the guitar.

HD650 has a much smoother, more balanced tone overall. The stereo image is much better and you can hear more details.
You can hear above 10KHz with it, which means presets could have buzz and fizz. It could be annoying, but I prefer it, so I know what I need to dial out.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...open-back-audiophile-and-reference-headphones
Thanks , very clear and useful ....

The other problem I had with the Sadie (I think the Lola is the same way), that they sit on your ear and not around. The clamping force is so strong that, although the last time I used them was a few days ago, the cartilages still hurt in my ears.
Did they change the cups? I have the Blue Mo-Fi, and they sit around my rears — not on them.

Just one more question on the impedance ,
How do you usually set output 1 when you use them ...???

Back
Top Bottom