"Input clipping"-like Issue When Picking Hard

Hi All,

Not sure what's going on, and it might be me doing something idiotic, but on any given clean amp factory preset such as "Double Verb" (I don't use distortion much), my sound "flubs" out whenever I dig into the strings a bit for a harder pick attack, or when playing with fingers, I "pop" the strings for a stronger attack. What I mean by "flub" is that the initial attack sounds similar to input clipping, but the input signal meter shows I am not close to clipping. Interesting bit of info is that when I turn the power amp modelling off, the issue goes away. I don't recall messing with the stock preset settings, but maybe I'm losing my memory. I'm playing through Yamaha HS8s.

I'll try to post a sound clip of the issue as well as an example preset as soon as I figure out how to do so, but I was hoping in the meantime someone might be able to point out a quick fix. I tried searching the forum, but I am not sure what to call this since it is not actual input clipping? Or is it?

FYI I have power amp modelling and cab sims turned on, and instrument input in global settings is at about 50%. I'm playing a Fender tele, and at first I thought maybe it's the guitar (pickup height) or cable, but I plugged into my tube amp with the same cable and the issue is not present, and then also with the power modelling factor above, I'm thinking it's not the guitar or cable.

I have mostly humbucker guitars but my input is set to 11.5% to tickle the red. 50% sounds high to me...

Not sure if this is the same issue you're having. I was having problems with my Tele as well and when I turned off power amp modeling it seemed to fix the issue... I also use Yamaha HS8s...
It was kind of like a sheen/ring when picked harder. The problem ended up being my pickups, they were too low. I have them fairly high now (fender spec basically) and the problem went away. The low pickups were making me compensate with too much BMT and gain to get a proper balance with the amp models. Maybe mess with the pickup heights and see if it fixes the problem?
Also 50% isn't that high my SG likes 10% and my Tele like 100% so...

Check if speaker drive parameter is turned up, or if the preamp in the cab block is active

Hi Shoerider,
Have you had the chance to listen to it through headphones? That would isolate the issue to the axe fx.
thanks
Pauly
Hi All,

Not sure what's going on, and it might be me doing something idiotic, but on any given clean amp factory preset such as "Double Verb" (I don't use distortion much), my sound "flubs" out whenever I dig into the strings a bit for a harder pick attack, or when playing with fingers, I "pop" the strings for a stronger attack. What I mean by "flub" is that the initial attack sounds similar to input clipping, but the input signal meter shows I am not close to clipping. Interesting bit of info is that when I turn the power amp modelling off, the issue goes away. I don't recall messing with the stock preset settings, but maybe I'm losing my memory. I'm playing through Yamaha HS8s.

I'll try to post a sound clip of the issue as well as an example preset as soon as I figure out how to do so, but I was hoping in the meantime someone might be able to point out a quick fix. I tried searching the forum, but I am not sure what to call this since it is not actual input clipping? Or is it?

FYI I have power amp modelling and cab sims turned on, and instrument input in global settings is at about 50%. I'm playing a Fender tele, and at first I thought maybe it's the guitar (pickup height) or cable, but I plugged into my tube amp with the same cable and the issue is not present, and then also with the power modelling factor above, I'm thinking it's not the guitar or cable.

Not sure if this is the same issue you're having. I was having problems with my Tele as well and when I turned off power amp modeling it seemed to fix the issue... I also use Yamaha HS8s...
It was kind of like a sheen/ring when picked harder. The problem ended up being my pickups, they were too low. I have them fairly high now (fender spec basically) and the problem went away. The low pickups were making me compensate with too much BMT and gain to get a proper balance with the amp models. Maybe mess with the pickup heights and see if it fixes the problem?
Also 50% isn't that high my SG likes 10% and my Tele like 100% so...
if you're going direct, you should def leave PA modeling on.

I actually noticed this recently too. It started in one of the 12.xx firmware versions? Having a compressor didn't help. It seems to be clipping before it even enters the grid?? My pickups are hot. The 'Input 1/Instrument' A/D parameter was set to 7.5%. Tried lowering it to 2% and it seems a little better? But it didn't do this before. The FM3 is doing it too..

I wanted to do some more testing before bringing it up, but figured I would mention it since this thread already existed.

Last edited:
Did you guys check if disabling the input gate fixes it?
I noticed that if release time is set too low it makes some weird noises that might be confused for clipping (especially with the noise reducer type)

Last edited:
Did you guy check if disabling the input gate fixes it?
I noticed that if release time is set too low it makes some weird noises that might be confused for clipping (especially with the noise reducer type)
I will check this out. There have been some changes to the Gate recently.

Thanks to the forum members here who have chimed in. I'll try out all of the suggestions.

I managed to record a snippet of what I'm talking about. Also I'm attaching the preset I'm using. Wouldn't be surprised if it's a simple turn of a knob to fix this issue! I get easily confused between the interplay of things like Master Volume, output, trim, and gain.

Attachments

• Deluxe Verb.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 3
Is the preset itself clipping? Look at the Meters on the Layout Zoom out view.

Yes I was looking at this view and could see no clipping.

Hi Shoerider,
Have you had the chance to listen to it through headphones? That would isolate the issue to the axe fx.
thanks
Pauly

Yes, it's there with the headphones as well.

I have messed with it in the past, but it wouldn't explain why I don't hear it through my amp?

Thanks to the forum members here who have chimed in. I'll try out all of the suggestions.

I managed to record a snippet of what I'm talking about. Also I'm attaching the preset I'm using. Wouldn't be surprised if it's a simple turn of a knob to fix this issue! I get easily confused between the interplay of things like Master Volume, output, trim, and gain.

Hmmm. That doesn't sound anything as extreme as what I am getting. But in my case it is most likely exaggerated because of increased treble in my Acoustic Sim presets.

Use a compressor at the start of your preset or turn down the input trim. That will stop it from clipping.

I have a compressor on the front end, but you are right the input trim looks to be a major factor. Surprised because I haven't had this issue in the past this is the same guitar I've used since I bought the 3. Nonetheless turning the trim down even further seems to help quite a bit. I wonder why - is the trim control now more "sensitive"?

Hmmm. That doesn't sound anything as extreme as what I am getting. But in my case it is most likely exaggerated because of increased treble in my Acoustic Sim presets.

It gets much worse if I push the trim back to 12 o'clock (where it is in the factory default for this preset).

With only an input and an output block on the grid, I get + 7-10 dB clipping.

I have to turn the instrument input level almost all the way down.

I checked 12.08b(1-3), 12.07 and 12.06. It's happening in all of them.

Back
Top Bottom