Axe-Fx III Firmware Release Version 12.08 Public Beta 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ugh. This is Joel de Guzman's company. That guy is a bit naive about DSP and signal processing in general. He came on here years ago trying to tell me that video cards were the future of audio DSP. I tried to explain to him that audio DSP is inherently a sequential problem and that massive parallelism doesn't help you. It's the assembly line conundrum. Parallelism makes more shoes per minute but it doesn't make the pair you want any faster.

A couple years ago he was trumpeting his pitch detection "invention" based on bitwise autocorrelation using XOR. He said "I can't believe how great it works and how no one else has ever thought of this because it's so simple and elegant". I didn't have the heart to tell him:

1. It's not a new idea. The very first digital guitar tuners used precisely this technique. There's a patent from the early 80s. So, no, not new. Been around for about 40 years.

2. It doesn't work well. It's extremely prone to false octaves. You have to heavily filter the signal to prevent octave errors and even then it's not great. It useless for trying to find the period of a chord, even a simple one.

3. It exhibits considerable frequency error unless your sample rate is upwards of a MHz. Those old guitar tuners did essentially that. They used a single bit A/D (comparator) running at a very high sample rate. The error is up to one half the sample period. At 48 kHz your period error would be up to 10.4 us. At 440 Hz that's around 5 cents of error.

4. In general, if something seems simple and you "can't believe no one else has ever thought of this" it's almost assured that someone else has, in fact, thought of it. Only after doing this for nearly 40 years now am I at the point where I believe some of my ideas are actually unique. Over the years I've thought I was being clever only to find out someone had already done it before.

I could read stuff like this all damn day.

I'm in the process of converting a guitar to use Cycfi Nu v2 pickups.

As for hex processing, you don't need 6 Axe-Fx's really. I've experimented with the Roland GK3 into a breakout box into the 2, 3, and 4 stereo inputs on the Axe-Fx III. The problem is that those pickups don't sound very good on their own so you chew up a lot of filter and EQs trying to get a good fundamental signal before you even begin to do anything interesting.

Three Axe-Fx's would be plenty because there are multiple inputs and at least 2 instances of everything relevant. I've actually been on the lookout for some deals on a few Axe-Fx's just so I can experiment with this some.

Ugh. This is Joel de Guzman's company.

Wow... what a small world. I used to chat with Joel back on the Boost mailing list 17 or 18 years ago when I was heavy into building compilers with C++. Never expected to see his name again, much less on a forum dedicated to guitar processors.

Very Nice Fremen...I see in your video though you dont have chorus or delay on, or a 2nd pitch block detuning, which are 3 things I find add 'fullness' to an acoustic type sound. I struggle with them when using VC...adds strange oversounds is it just me or do u find them an issue when using the VC ?

I in fact moved the Pitch block used for detuning at the beginning of the chain, in the original preset it's where the volume block is. I have scenes where the detuning/chorus/delay are activated, but here I wanted to test the pure sound. I made that test because of the comments regarding strange artefacts with acoustic sounds (even if it's acoustic simulation here) ; yes, there are some, you hear it if you play alone, but in a band setup like in my video, it works. Of course, virtual capo works better with simple power chords and high gain !

Fremen, that hi Gain AMP sound massive, awesome !!!

Is that because you are using 2 amps ? thanks !

Thank you ! ENGL Savage panned hard left, FAS Modern III panned hard right. No post-processing whatsoever ; those two amps works very well together

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom