Several included presets are too much for the FM3?

Lionfeather

Inspired
I'm wondering if something might be wrong with mine? Quite a few factory presets will actually mute the output.

I was watching Coopers video on the 10 best high gain presets, I noticed the Friedman BE-100 preset the CPU hovers around 56%.
On my unit it's 85% and output is muted. Edit: Just noticed Cooper's Vid is on the Axe III, but still I find it odd that some included factory presets on the FM3 are too much for itself.

Firmware currently on 1.04 beta

Last edited:
I'm wondering if something might be wrong with mine? Quite a few factory presets will actually mute the output.

I was watching Coopers video on the 10 best high gain presets, I noticed the Friedman BE-100 preset the CPU hovers around 56%.
On my unit it's 85% and output is muted. Edit: Just noticed Cooper's Vid is on the Axe III, but still I find it odd that some included factory presets on the FM3 are too much for itself.

Firmware currently on 1.04 beta
The factory presets were exhaustively tested before they were released. Then something interesting happened. New firmware was released. Again and again. Each new firmware brought improvements, and some of those improvements ate up more CPU. That pushed some of the factory presets over the top.

This will be addressed in future firmware and preset releases.

Just turn off the verb or lower the echo density and it will drop the usage. This is the main reason a lot of people are using an outboard reverb like an H9 as the verbs chew up a lot of CPU.

Does that mean that they will optimize the CPU usage, or lower the quality settings, or simply remove blocks? Just wondering...
Generally speaking, CPU is constantly worked on to optimize on all devices. Right now it seems they’re porting as much from the 3 to the FM3 so it’s a work in progress as the platforms are slightly different. From there we’ll do what’s needed to adjust the factory presets keeping as much as possible.

7 years with the Axe-FX II and even when I first bought it, I immediately wiped the factory presets as they are full of all the blocks while only using some of them, and started creating my own, and I recommend you do the same. Start with a simple amp and cab block and only add what you need.

even over the years as the Beta guys updated the factory presets, usually by the time they are updated and released you'd get like a week before the FW had a major improvement revision deeming them pretty much useless (IMO).

Back
Top Bottom