FM3 General Discussion Thread

Here's how it should go admin:
1 FM3 unit to AX8 waitlist & then 10 FM3 units to FM3 waitlist.
Wash/Rinse/Repeat:cool:

If you want to control the FM3 via MIDI from a computer, you can use a simple USB<->MIDI connector and connect the FM3 via 5-pin MIDI. They are readily available for around $15 on Amazon.
Excellent suggestion. Iā€™ll just use my trusty old MIDI Sport from way back in my Ultra days.

I am so close to buying an AxeFX 3. Someone push me off the ledge. I need a Fractal unit in my life even if it's more equipment then I should reasonable budget for as a bedroom noodler.

Hobbies are not about needs. if the cost isnā€™t a strain on your finances itā€™s great for home studio. And you wonā€™t outgrow it any time soon.

I'm trying to DL the manual on my phone but it just takes me back to the home page?

The blocks guide and footswitch guides download no problem.

Using chrome.

Tried with samsung internet browser, same result

Downloaded it earlier on my home PC, no issues.

Guys I hope you realize how incredible this is. According to the audio blocks guide, the AMP block in the FM3 is identical to the Axe-Fx III other than the bias tremolo feature and the fact you can only run one instance. It is also then mentioned that the sound of the bias tremolo be replicated within the tremolo block on the FM3 though. Other than that the only differences in the CAB block are only one instance, 2 vs 4 IRs and then no smoothing parameter or ir speed control. All the misinformation and speculative rumors were untrue. Thank you Fractal! The only hard part is waiting now but it will be well worth it :)

Hobbies are not about needs. if the cost isnā€™t a strain on your finances itā€™s great for home studio. And you wonā€™t outgrow it any time soon.

Very true. So I decided to buy the AxeFx 3 on Sunday. I was prepared for this to possibly happen but the sale they are running is substantial so I don't feel cheated or anything. I did spend a lot more money than anticipated, however, I am taking delivery tomorrow and not waiting for the list to clear which I am far down on. I love the form factor of the floor unit, but the extra horsepower that the 3 offers will be great too. I can always sell it and trade down if I find that it's too much for me.

So here are the parts of the FM3 manual that say Axe Fx III only. This reminds of the differences between the AX8 and Axe Fx II.

So no surprises here. We do have USB audio now.

One question is about the USB type A slot on FM3. Anyone? This is not mentioned in the manual.

INPUT USB (AXE-FX III ONLY)
The Input USB block is fed signal from the USB Outputs 7+8 ports of a connected computer. There are many
creative applications for the Input USB block such as creating ā€œhardware pluginā€ chains via USB, or processing
backing tracks and live guitar through ā€œmasteringā€ effects. See your Ownerā€™s Manual for more on USB Audio.

INPUT 1/INSTRUMENT IMPEDANCE (AXE-FX III ONLY)
The Input Instrument Impedance parameter appears on the Input 1 block. This parameter changes the actual
analog circuitry of the INSTR input jack to interact differently with your guitar pickups. This recreates the way that
some classic effects (e.g. ā€˜Vibe) ā€œload downā€ the pickups, causing a change in frequency response. In ā€œAUTOā€
mode, the impedance is set automatically, based on the first active effect to follow the input. Normally the setting
of ā€œAUTOā€ is best, but you may also select any of the following values. This setting is saved with the channel.
1MĪ©
1MĪ©+ Capacitor
230kĪ©
230 kĪ© + Capacitor
90 kĪ©
90 kĪ© + Capacitor
70 kĪ©
70 kĪ© + Capacitor
32 kĪ©
32 kĪ© + Capacitor
22 kĪ©
22 kĪ© + Capacitor

Bias Trem Frequency, Bias Trem Depth ā€“ (Axe-Fx III Only) These create true bias tremolo by varying the bias
of the virtual power tubes. Bias Tremolo varies based on a multitude of variables including power amp settings,
damping, bias parameters, and more. It is also ā€œself-duckingā€ and decreases as you play harder. On some amp
types, extreme bias depth can result in excessive crossover distortion. On other amps the amount of tremolo can
vary greatly between loud and soft playing. All this, however, is part of the allure of bias tremolo as it results in a
particularly organic sound. The sound of Bias Trem is available on the FM3 via the Tremolo/Pan block (p. 91).

Smoothing ā€“ (Axe-Fx III Only) Reduces the prevalence of notches and peaks that are characteristic of a micā€™d
speaker. Some may find this effect brings the sound closer to that of a cab ā€œin the room.ā€

IR Length ā€“ (Axe-Fx III Only) Sets the length of the IR. Lower values can result in decreased low end detail and
resonance, but will also reduce CPU and potentially increase clarity by eliminating any reflections in the IR itself.

THE CROSSOVER BLOCK Axe-Fx III Only

THE IR PLAYER BLOCK Axe-Fx III Only

Looper
On the Axe-Fx III, the maximum time is 300 seconds. On the FM3 the maximum time is 120 seconds.

THE REALTIME ANALYZER BLOCK Axe-Fx III Only

THE TONE MATCH BLOCK Axe-Fx III Only

THE VOCODER BLOCK Axe-Fx III Only

Back
Top Bottom