How’s Win 10 treating you?

Windows is visual... Many people are looking for an app icon and may not know the name.

Many Windows admins and power users don't bother with control panel when they can just start the applet or snap-in for a particular thing... But you have to know the actual command name to do that.

I haven't used Windows 7 Start menu in a while but how would someone find an icon if they don't know what they're looking for? Don't they have to click the Windows 7 Start menu, Click All Programs, Scroll through all the app folders? I know they can pin icons to the top of the start menu but you can pin to the Windows 10 Start menu too. I'm not arguing, just trying to get more info bc I work in IT support and it's always helpful trying to understand how different people work and access things. Thanks!

Bummer it’s having that effect on you - makes it hard to concentrate when the underlying environment is giving you the shits. Re the adds thing - have you minimized the adds by the numerous tweaks described on the interweb?
I can’t believe you are playing minesweeper ;-)
thanks
pauly

It sucks. Worse OS since ME. I don't buy the search excuse. It's just that: an excuse for not organizing things properly in the first place. And how do you search for something if you don't even know what to call it? The control panel I was looking for I'm still not sure what it's called. And every other update breaks the search anyways.

And... ADS!!!! F*cking ads in paid software. What greedy pricks... "Hey, we see you're using the snip tool. Well guess what, we're taking it away but you can buy a new version from our store". "Freecell, oh you like that game, great! Here's 30 seconds of advertisements before you can play another round. Oh, you want to play again? You have to buy a subscription".

Some other nice "touches": MS Word doesn't remember window settings. Close the program and the next time you open the document the window size is different. Something in the OS is causing a 1/2 second lag with OrCad. When I click on a component or net it doesn't register for about 1/2 second which gives the impression the click didn't take. Just long enough to be really irritating.

Every now and then it just refuses to find our NAS so I have to reboot. Never had that problem on Win7.

Everything, EVERYTHING, feels like a step backwards and just a way to extract more money out of their customers. It also feels "lazy". Like no one really cares and the upper management making the decisions only cares about money. It feels like it was designed by committee and then subcontracted to the lowest bidder. So nothing really works as well as it could and there's no continuity.

Upgraded cuz I had too. Not a fan...luckily I spend most of my time in Linux or OSX.

I haven't used Windows 7 Start menu in a while but how would someone find an icon if they don't know what they're looking for? Don't they have to click the Windows 7 Start menu, Click All Programs, Scroll through all the app folders? I know they can pin icons to the top of the start menu but you can pin to the Windows 10 Start menu too. I'm not arguing, just trying to get more info bc I work in IT support and it's always helpful trying to understand how different people work and access things. Thanks!
I haven't either... And I'm also an IT guy... But yes, that's the kind of thing I've seen.

And it was easier to do that in Win 7 or Vista than on Win 10.

Maybe the classic shell helps with that. I've never tried it.

One of the biggest annoyances I have with MS software (Windows, Office Suite, etc) is that they seem to feel the need to constantly change the UI for no apparent benefit.

Humans don't like change, and computers are challenging for many people. It can take a lot of work to learn where something is to do a particular task, and then suddenly it's no longer there... Frustrating.

One of the biggest annoyances I have with MS software (Windows, Office Suite, etc) is that they seem to feel the need to constantly change the UI for no apparent benefit.

Humans don't like change, and computers are challenging for many people. It can take a lot of work to learn where something is to do a particular task, and then suddenly it's no longer there... Frustrating.

100% agreed! I'm dyslexic, so I rely on icon graphics rather than the text. Every couple months MS Office completely changes the UI, which drives me crazy. The most recent update made the Word and Outlook icons look too similar :mad:

There's a problem with your hardware, never experienced any reboot doing this...
It doesn't cause the computer to reboot. You HAVE to reboot to get the port back. Do this: insert a USB drive into a USB port. View the contents. Pull the USB drive without ejecting it using "Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media". Now the port is locked. The only way to use it again is to reboot.

It doesn't cause the computer to reboot. You HAVE to reboot to get the port back. Do this: insert a USB drive into a USB port. View the contents. Pull the USB drive without ejecting it using "Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media". Now the port is locked. The only way to use it again is to reboot.
I'm on win10 1809 though...

@FractalAudio

Cliff, run these commands from an elevated command prompt and then restart your PC. I posted earlier that I'm going to share my Windows 10 tweaks. I probably won't have time today but hopefully in the next couple days.

Code:
POWERCFG -H OFF
REG ADD "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Power" /V HiberbootEnabled /T REG_DWORD /D 0 /F
REG ADD "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power" /V HibernateEnabled /T REG_DWORD /D 0 /F
REG ADD "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System" /V EnableLUA /T REG_DWORD /D 0 /F
REG ADD "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System" /V ConsentPromptBehaviorAdmin /T REG_DWORD /D 0 /F
REG ADD "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System" /V PromptOnSecureDesktop /T REG_DWORD /D 0 /F
SC CONFIG WSearch start= disabled
NET STOP "WSearch"
RD /S /Q "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Search"
SC CONFIG CscService start= disabled
NET STOP "Offline Files"

Oh, and don't forget to eject your USB FLASH drives before physically removing them because if you don't Windows 10 will not release the USB port and you'll have to reboot.

That's never happened to me. But on the Mac if I pull a USB drive out without ejecting it forces me to run disk repair the next time it is inserted.

hi @metalboy
Why are you removing the windows search directory? I miss line by line commenting that explains things ;-)
thanks
pauly

@FractalAudio

Cliff, run these commands from an elevated command prompt and then restart your PC. I posted earlier that I'm going to share my Windows 10 tweaks. I probably won't have time today but hopefully in the next couple days.

Code:
POWERCFG -H OFF
REG ADD "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Power" /V HiberbootEnabled /T REG_DWORD /D 0 /F
REG ADD "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power" /V HibernateEnabled /T REG_DWORD /D 0 /F
REG ADD "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System" /V EnableLUA /T REG_DWORD /D 0 /F
REG ADD "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System" /V ConsentPromptBehaviorAdmin /T REG_DWORD /D 0 /F
REG ADD "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System" /V PromptOnSecureDesktop /T REG_DWORD /D 0 /F
SC CONFIG WSearch start= disabled
NET STOP "WSearch"
RD /S /Q "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Search"
SC CONFIG CscService start= disabled
NET STOP "Offline Files"

I feel like the Windows 10 debate is like the tubes vs Axe-Fx or the amp in the room debate. Most of the Windows XP/7, tube and amp in the room users are talking with their backs to us. Please turn around and stop talking out of your ass! It's clear some people don't like change or adapting to new things. Before complaining, please learn the ins and outs of what you're complaining about. Yes, sometimes you may have to make tweaks and customization.

I've never understood the Windows 7 vs 10 Start menu argument. Has anyone who doesn't like the Windows 10 Start menu actually watched a YouTube video about how it works? What's so hard about clicking on the start menu and not clicking on anything else and just start typing what you're looking for? It finds what you're looking for after just a few characters. Also, that feature works in Windows 7 and 10. I find it time consuming having to click through all the Windows 7 Start menu tiers. Also, on the Windows 10 Start Menu you can click on any of the character headings to open a menu to quickly go to the letter you want.

+ Example 1: (Fastest way to use the Windows 10 Start Menu)
++ Click the Start menu and don't click anything else and just start typing: axe
++ Axe-Edit and Axe-Edit III are at the top of the menu
++ You can either hit your ENTER key to open the top selected app or use the down arrow key to select a different app and press ENTER or click on the app you want to open
++ Try the same thing above but type: fra
+++ Fractal-Bot is at the top of the menu
++ Try the same thing above but type: cab
+++ Cab-Lab is at the top of the menu

+ Example 2:
++ Click the Start menu, click the first letter heading like "A", click the letter "F" from the list, click on Fractal Audio, Now you can click to open Axe-Edit, Axe-Edit III, Cab-Lab, Fractal-Bot

Some of the issues people have with Windows 10 is because of the extra security but 99% of them can be disabled and made less secure like Windows XP and Windows 7. Also, for people who bought a new PC with Windows 10 64bit, a lot of older hardware, software and drivers don't work because they were made for 32bit. In that case, install Windows 10 32bit. Windows XP 64bit and Windows 7 64bit also had this same issue.

I probably won't have time today but I'm going to share my Windows 10 tweaks, so maybe some of you struggling with Windows 10 will feel more comfortable using it. Oh and the old saying still stands, if at first you don't succeed, RTFM!!! or RTFHelp Files, Search YouTube or go to the Companies support page ;)

I've got a Win7 classic start menu shell installed. Had that since one of my previous laptops had Windows 8 on it. I don't think I've ever used the Win10 start menu, other then when first time booting up the PC and installing that shell.
I love that like in XP and Win7 I can pin my favorite programs to the start menu.

Can't say that has happened to me as well.

I'm young, but I've been a primarily Windows based dev since XP. I worked for MS, and had source code access for a few years. I was never really sold on the Mac/Linux stuff, and I survived even through the twin depressions of Vista and W8, both of which were rough patches. And yet somehow I'm much more miserable on Win10 than perhaps any of its predecessors. The combination of general incompetence and active user hostility has become extremely tiresome, and configuring most anything in the OS programmatically has become nigh on impossible. The incessant bullshittery of Windows Update has become agonizing, and the number of routine performance regressions is unreal. Sleep doesn't work half the fucking time, and yes I know the stupid command line incantations to find out why, half the time they return no data too.

I've defended and stuck to Windows and MS for like twenty years but I'm at the end of my rope... it's really a pity that I still dislike Mac so much.

Just so you guys know, Microsoft has moved on. There's no longer a separate Windows division, and 70% of their cloud is Linux (probably more by now). Windows is on life support - maintained just well enough to sell Office, which does actually make a lot of money.

hi @metalboy
Why are you removing the windows search directory? I miss line by line commenting that explains things ;-)
thanks
pauly

I disable windows search bc the database gets corrupt and doesn't always find what you're searching for. It may take a couple more seconds to search but it finds what you're looking for just like Windows XP used to. It helps with searching Outlook too. Also, when Windows Search is enabled, it sometimes tries to index external drives which causes them to not be able disconnect/eject and the error that something is using the drive.

Sorry, I didn't include any comments but I will when I share all my Windows 10 tweaks. I just wanted to share those commands, so Cliff or anyone else can resolve their issue quickly.

Just so you guys know, Microsoft has moved on. There's no longer a separate Windows division, and 70% of their cloud is Linux (probably more by now). Windows is on life support - maintained just well enough to sell Office, which does actually make a lot of money.

Here's more info about that:

Why does Microsoft Windows 10 have so many bugs? Ex-Employee tells you why!

Back
Top Bottom