Am I missing something?

The factory presets are great, but don't work out of the box for everyone.
Because my setup is not the norm, I stopped worrying about the real world settings and cut my bass down to 3.5 and as low as 2.5. I keep the bright switch on, and in my cab blocks, I match the speaker range to my actual speakers I'm using. Then to shape a little more I have PEQ block at the end, right before the out block. It is set to around a starting point of 80hz cut and 8k cut, with a couple little small cuts around 1 to 2k. This tightens up the bottom and gives me the right amount of bass, while getting rid of those peircing shimmers.
Everyone's final EQ is going to be different, depending on guitar, amp, speakers used. So you have to experiment with settings until you get the sound you want.

standard tuning... guitar is suhr standard pro... basically a HSS strat.
im kind of a noobie at the DAW stuff... downloaded the reaper trial to make the clips i posted... how do i record a DI?

what i'm experiencing is just a lot of low end that I cant seem to dial out. makes everything really bassy and muddy.

I'll try and post a patch with a DI if i can figure out how to do so.

FAS presets are incredible, and everything you need for a good base

With that said, if you play a certain genre, I suggest looking into preset packs. For example, most popular is Austin buddy, and it is worth every penny. On top of that, I HIGHLY suggest SUS for metal.

Check out google “[x genre] axe iii preset packs” and see what you find, and YouTube too..

Not to knock any of the factory presets but I find a lot of them don't work for me. There are some that are what I am looking for, but for the most part I usually dual up my own so I can dial them in how I like them.
Something that really helped me at first since I had never actually played half the amps loaded in the beautiful box is this. I would go to you tube and look for videos of guys going through tones on an amp and then I would try out the settings on the amp in the fractal so I could familiarize myself with the amp. It really helped me with a bunch of the amps.

Are you certain you aren't overloading or clipping the monitors? What is your setting on the xlr output? Is it still at the factory default of -10 dbV? If so you should flip it to +4dBu. I saw in the Adam manual that you have some controls for bass levels so maybe adjust there?

Hey guys, here are a couple DI recordings. made them with input 1 straight into output 1, recorded to reaper over usb. They sound pretty horrible imo lol. hopefully this helps. first one is neck single coil, second is bridge humbucker.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/z4i2s23vadaxjou/DI1.wav?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/en5vmrwawqkdvon/DI2.wav?dl=0
Hey, whats up? I sent your humbucker di track through my III, using the same patch I shared and it sounds just great.....sounds pretty much like if I was plugged in, so no problem there.

I listened to your recording of the BE-100, and I gotta say, my rig sounds just about like that through that patch if I don't tweak it to my liking.
BUT! If I select the same two stock IRs for the BE-100 patch as I have in the STIHL patch, man it comes alive with minimal tweaking!

So it sounds like you just need to find the IRs that you like and create your own sounds. As others have said, there's certainly nothing wrong with the stock presets, but it's so subjective as to what sounds best, and they aint gonna please everybody!

So I've had the AXE FX 3 since april, and ive really struggled with getting a decent sound. I just cantg seem to dial out all the low end, and as a result a lot of the amps are unuseable, and even what I can come up with that's decent, is quite a bit thicker than it probably should be.

I just assumed everything was fine, and that I just needed to learn how to use this thing, but after watching some videos of people unboxing their unit, and immediately getting great sounds out of just the stock presets, I thing something is amiss.

So, I took my rig to the local guitar store, and my guitar sounds fine when plugged into a real amp, and 2 different guitars (a strat and a les paul) both sound super bassy through the axe fx.

to cover the basics... amp modeling and power amp modeling are both on, global EQ is flat, fresh install of FW11, the new FW 11 presets are installed. input level is set to 50%, and hits the red only when I play extra hard, I bought the unit new, but went ahead and did a reset anyway, ive used 3 guitars with 3 cables and have gotten the same results, and have used low cut in cab block as well as input eq low cut in the amp block.

Here are some simple recordings I made of the stock presets. (I used stock presets because we all have them for a base of reference)
1 is preset 19 "Shiver"
2 is preset 1 "59 Bassguy"
3 is preset 24 "BE-100"

https://www.dropbox.com/s/e4b2wru3d4x5qym/test1.wav?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/p5hrcljtb02vweb/test2.wav?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/yb80hl2p38qnygq/test3.wav?dl=0

forgive the playing, I'm just demonstrating the sound, not trying to show off or something. the first 2 are neck single coil, and the last is a bridge humnbucker.

Is there some parameter I'm missing? does the input have some kind of high pass filter I'm missing? It feels like the extra lows are before the amp... like a mesa with the bass too high that's flubbing out the preamp or something.

I'm using Adam A7X monitors that I also use as PC speakers with the axe fx as basically a sound card. Music sounds great through them, as well as other people playing their AXE FX's through youtube lol it just is too bassy when I plug my guitar into it. Input 2 on the back does the same thing too.

If anyone here can shed some light on this, I would surely appreciate it.
You have the best setup! Axe Fx+Adam A7. Did you think of buying an SUS Recto pack! If its not on sale Black Friday, or cyber monday, i would check that out...they sound great if you cant make your own sounds...

I got my Axe III more than a year ago. First digital device I have ever owned. As soon as I tried the first random presets, I felt they sound too bassy. And not particularly good as far as tone is concerned, to be honest. I went like “Seriously? Is this €3000 unit sounding like this for real?”.

So I wiped out all the factory presets and started from scratch. I tweaked some Marshall amps, loaded few custom IRs (RedWirez sound great to me) and severely cut lows on the amp block if necessary.

Now, 15 months and several firmware updates later, I can definitely say the Axe-FX III sounds amazing and kicks ass to any other digital device. So, probably nothing is wrong with your setup, you just need to tweak the presets to your taste.

hi dhamiii
is it at all possible, that somewhere in the recording process, you have some plugins affecting the sound? Like in your recording channel, or output bus etc? Eq, compression etc etc
thanks
pauly

Hey guys, here are a couple DI recordings. made them with input 1 straight into output 1, recorded to reaper over usb. They sound pretty horrible imo lol. hopefully this helps. first one is neck single coil, second is bridge humbucker.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/z4i2s23vadaxjou/DI1.wav?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/en5vmrwawqkdvon/DI2.wav?dl=0

hi dhamiii
is it at all possible, that somewhere in the recording process, you have some plugins affecting the sound? Like in your recording channel, or output bus etc? Eq, compression etc etc
thanks
pauly

Nah... I don’t own any plugins :)
Just downloaded reaper yesterday to post these.

Nah... I don’t own any plugins :)
Just downloaded reaper yesterday to post these.

I'm about to reamp the DI's you uploaded, but just looking at the waveforms, DI2 is much louder than DI1 (by approx. 10 dB). Did you boost the level of DI2? Is it a different guitar/pickups?

Back
Top Bottom