Wish: FC footswitch to change exp pedal assignment

pauliusmm

Fractal Fanatic
I wish we could set 1 expression pedal to do multiple things.
I want to set a footswitch on FC which would toggle between 3 settings (steps):

Step 1 : pedal controls external controller 1

Step 2 : pedal controls external controller 2

Step 3 : pedal controls external controller 3

So this way it could be wah on step 1 ( white color led), whammy on second step (red color) and delay mix on third step ( green color).

The number of steps could be selectable. Also colors for each step could be selectable.

There's alternative approach. Use the MUX (multiplexer) to switch between rows/blocks/exp.pedal.

Here's my main preset as an example. I use the MUX to switch between Wah, Whammy, RingMod and Volume Pedal.

Schermafbeelding 2019-02-06 om 21.45.29.png

I transferred all my presets to the III.

I steered away from sharing them, because there didn't seem to be much interest anymore. And the III doesn't yet offer a convenient way to unlink all Global Blocks in a preset, which makes sharing more difficult. Also, so many people already share (and sell) stuff.

I transferred all my presets to the III.

I steered away from sharing them, because there didn't seem to be much interest anymore. And the III doesn't yet offer a convenient way to unlink all Global Blocks in a preset, which makes sharing more difficult. Also, so many people already share (and sell) stuff.
I think there will always be demand for @yek presets. They earned that demand over the years. I understand the complications involved, though.

Reactions: yek
There's alternative approach. Use the MUX (multiplexer) to switch between rows/blocks/exp.pedal.

Here's my main preset as an example. I use the MUX to switch between Wah, Whammy, RingMod and Volume Pedal.

View attachment 52402

This is a workaround, but its not really the same thing.
My whamny is before the amp and delay is after the amp so this would not work in my scenario.
Thanks for suggestion though, this might be useful in other cases.

Reactions: yek
I wish we could set 1 expression pedal to do multiple things.
I want to set a footswitch on FC which would toggle between 3 settings (steps):

Step 1 : pedal controls external controller 1

Step 2 : pedal controls external controller 2

Step 3 : pedal controls external controller 3

So this way it could be wah on step 1 ( white color led), whammy on second step (red color) and delay mix on third step ( green color).

The number of steps could be selectable. Also colors for each step could be selectable.
What would you expect to happen to the value of the other external controllers when you moved the pedal to the next external controller?

What would you expect to happen to the value of the other external controllers when you moved the pedal to the next external controller?

I would expect it to stay the same where it was left when you swich to the other controller. When you come back to it it would follow the pedal position.

I would expect it to stay the same where it was left when you swich to the other controller. When you come back to it it would follow the pedal position.
This, is, I think the hardest part to get right with this idea. Lots of step-function jumps are possible in this scenario which doesn't play well with things like delay times, for example. And if you return the controller to zero when you change the pedal, I think it's much less useful. It's (waves hands in air) a fairly hairy problem to solve in a way that I think would satisfy more than a very small number of use cases.

Give the option (per Ext Ctrl per preset) of going to a certain value or keeping last pedal value. Add option for instant jump on pedal movement vs. waiting to reach new Ext Ctrl's current value before gaining control.

This, is, I think the hardest part to get right with this idea. Lots of step-function jumps are possible in this scenario which doesn't play well with things like delay times, for example. And if you return the controller to zero when you change the pedal, I think it's much less useful. It's (waves hands in air) a fairly hairy problem to solve in a way that I think would satisfy more than a very small number of use cases.

I dont see the problem here.
When you go to next step - you no longer control the first parameter - its as if you dont move the pedal at all. So the value stays where you left it last before switching to the next step.
Its like physically unplugging the pedal.

I dont see the problem here.
When you go to next step - you no longer control the first parameter - its as if you dont move the pedal at all. So the value stays where you left it last before switching to the next step.
Its like physically unplugging the pedal.
But when you come back and the pedal is in a different physical position what happens? Does the value immediately update to the new position? Physically unplugging the pedal would peg the value to min or max — that’s what happens now.

What @Bakerman suggested with having to move the pedal through the saved position before it starts to work again makes sense. I have an empress pedal with analog controls that behaves this way for preset recall and update and it’s predictable on changes.

Curious to know how Mission Engineering deals with the problem in their expression pedal multiplexer box. They’re dealing with it in the analog domain on the box I believe.

I just tested this on my Liquid Foot Mini- It has this exact feature.
When you come back to the first step you get no change until you move the pedal - then it jumps to the value of the pedal.
Works fine and i think its really useful.

It was fairly easy to use with my Gordius controller... Granted I was using it for auto-engaged wah (pre amp block) and an auto-engaged pitch block (post amp block).

I suggested a similar feature to Admin M@ while I was proofing the FC manual prior to release. He seemed to think it was a good idea and could be implemented.

I just tested this on my Liquid Foot Mini- It has this exact feature.
When you come back to the first step you get no change until you move the pedal - then it jumps to the value of the pedal.
Works fine and i think its really useful.
Yea, thinking about the idea on the commute home, this feels like a really nice way to implement it.

(Total tangent incoming) What do you use the RingMod for in a typical night?

@iaresee

I incorporate a couple of "EDM" effects in my rig. One of these is the RingMod (with the pedal attached to Mix), to add a metallic effect to a rif. Makes heads turn.

Here's an example:

I do the same with filters. Example:

P.S. Ian, weird, can't use forum tags to play an MP3 directly.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom