Aligning LFOs with the band

Mutha Goose

Inspired
Is there a way to align the timing of the LFOs (controllers) so that they begin when I engage a scene?

I have an effect parameter tied to an LFO (Saw Up). When I turn that effect on, I want that LFO to be at the 1st step of it's climb.

I have tried a few ways with the LFO but I can't seem to control it. Re-tap-tempo with 4 clicks, trying to align the "1s" did not work.

(I can do it with the sequencer, but I'd like to find a way to do it with the LFO)

Is there a way to align the timing of the LFOs (controllers) so that they begin when I engage a scene?

I have an effect parameter tied to an LFO (Saw Up). When I turn that effect on, I want that LFO to be at the 1st step of it's climb.

I have tried a few ways with the LFO but I can't seem to control it. Re-tap-tempo with 4 clicks, trying to align the "1s" did not work.

(I can do it with the sequencer, but I'd like to find a way to do it with the LFO)
I think the Run switch in the LFO is what you want.

I think the LFO starts at the beginning of the cycle when you engage it, but I'm not positive.

If it does, you can assign a Scene Controller as a modifier on the Run switch.

I think the Run switch in the LFO is what you want.

I think the LFO starts at the beginning of the cycle when you engage it, but I'm not positive.

If it does, you can assign a Scene Controller as a modifier on the Run switch.

There isn't a "run" switch in the LFO.

Ok, I wanted to make sure I wasn't losing it. So, maybe it's a difference between AX8 and Axe Fx, but it's there on the Axe Fx:

F1136DD7-90CB-4DE8-8C8A-F51D69A897AB.jpeg

This also confirms that it restarts the LFO.

axedit-gif.51398
Thank you @unix-guy . I see that there is a reference to a "RUN" modifier for the LFO in the AX8 manual and in axe-edit, but I don't see how I can access it. This is how it looks in axe-edit (see pict)

There is no "run" option in the pull down menu either

Attachments

• AXEDIT.GIF
    AXEDIT.GIF
    151 KB · Views: 185
Click (left or right click will work in this case) on the modifier bracket symbol next to the LFO type. Or tab/click to outline the the type parameter and press M.

To access modifier on hardware, navigate to LFO type and press enter.

That does bring up the menu, and I can now assign CS1 to "run". Unfortunately, this is stopping the oscillator, and is just toggling the value from min to max. i.e. when CS1 is on value is max, when CS1 is off value is min. So if I set CS1 to momentary, while depressed I get the max value, when I take my foot off it goes back to min. It does not begin ramping up and then ramping down (triangle wave)

Unless your using drum machines and everything is sequenced, I’ve found it impossible to keep synced with a live drummer etc. to the point I have given to trying it. Cool effect with synced tremolo, filter sweeps and such, but I could never get it to last. Hard enough to keep a basic loop playing without real time bpm detection and adjustment

There ability to sync the start with the run parameter is there, but unless you keep restarting it, I don’t think you’ll keep in sync with external sources unless they are machine based. At least that has been my experience

Unless your using drum machines and everything is sequenced, I’ve found it impossible to keep synced with a live drummer etc. to the point I have given to trying it. Cool effect with synced tremolo, filter sweeps and such, but I could never get it to last. Hard enough to keep a basic loop playing without real time bpm detection and adjustment

There ability to sync the start with the run parameter is there, but unless you keep restarting it, I don’t think you’ll keep in sync with external sources unless they are machine based. At least that has been my experience

Fully understood, but that is not what I need to do. I have a noise effect (with a ramped parameter) that I am trying to get to engage on queue (the ramp needs to begin when I engage it). I can create this effect with the sequencer, but I would have preferred to find a way to make the LFOs do this (easier to manipulate the ramp).

That does bring up the menu, and I can now assign CS1 to "run". Unfortunately, this is stopping the oscillator, and is just toggling the value from min to max. i.e. when CS1 is on value is max, when CS1 is off value is min. So if I set CS1 to momentary, while depressed I get the max value, when I take my foot off it goes back to min. It does not begin ramping up and then ramping down (triangle wave)
Toggling the value of what to min/max? The Run switch is either on or off. When it is on, the LFO is active. When it is off, the LFO stops.

Are you sure you don't have some other moodier set with the same CS that's causing a problem?

Toggling the value of what to min/max? The Run switch is either on or off. When it is on, the LFO is active. When it is off, the LFO stops.

Are you sure you don't have some other moodier set with the same CS that's causing a problem?

That's how I thought it was supposed to work to. Have you tried it? Does it work like that for you?

When I switch RUN from OFF to ON, the oscillator value jumps from the min value to the max value. It does not ramp between these values (type = triangle), it jumps to these values and stays there (also not ramping back down). The oscillator does not "run" when I do this.

P.S. Thank you for your continued attempts to help. It is much appreciated.

That's how I thought it was supposed to work to. Have you tried it? Does it work like that for you?

When I switch RUN from OFF to ON, the oscillator value jumps from the min value to the max value. It does not ramp between these values (type = triangle), it jumps to these values and stays there (also not ramping back down). The oscillator does not "run" when I do this.

P.S. Thank you for your continued attempts to help. It is much appreciated.
I have used it, but it was a long time ago... And on my Axe Fx II.

If I get some time today, I will try on my Axe Fx III...

It almost sounds like the modifier is also attached to the LFO rate?

OK, so I was going to try to create a stripped down version of what I am trying to post, but the oscillators are working as I thought they should. So something is wrong in my original preset. I will just start from scratch and see if I can make it work. Thank you.

OK, so I was going to try to create a stripped down version of what I am trying to post, but the oscillators are working as I thought they should. So something is wrong in my original preset. I will just start from scratch and see if I can make it work. Thank you.
Check the modifier view in the editor to set where you have your modifiers assigned. I'm betting theirs one you are not thinking about.

So maybe there's a bug. I can cause this to go wrong at will.

I am using both LFOs.
LFO1 Tempo = 1/16, SQ (controlling the level for a "chattering" effect)
LFO2 Tempo = 4, Triangle (controlling a freq parameter in the synth)

If RUN on LFO2 is not linked or modified, this works as you would expect. LFO1 and LFO2 run at different periods and waveforms. However, the instant I link LFO2's "RUN" to anything (Control Switch, Scene, etc.), the 2 LFOs are no longer independent. LFO2 becomes LFO1. This stays like this until I re-load the preset. I haven't found a way to reset it.

If I swap LFO1 and LFO2, so that I link LFO1's RUN to a control switch, everything works fine.

So, in summary, if I link LFO2's RUN parameter to a switch, LFO2 becomes LFO1 once I hit that switch.

Hmm... That is interesting. Sounds buggy to me.

I'm tagging @Moke here because he uses this type of thing often. Maybe he has experience with this?

Edit:

Sounds like this bug Moke reported:

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/lfo-2-rate-bug-ax8.137840/

Yes, the problem @Moke reported is the same as the one I just found. Thanks for the help everyone. I was able to find 2 work arounds for my needs, but this bug is there.

P.S. I was looking to add the synth effects from Disturb's Voices (starts at about 0:18 - 0:36 in the beginning and repeated again at the end).

Yes, the problem @Moke reported is the same as the one I just found. Thanks for the help everyone. I was able to find 2 work arounds for my needs, but this bug is there.

P.S. I was looking to add the synth effects from Disturb's Voices (starts at about 0:18 - 0:36 in the beginning and repeated again at the end).
Maybe add a comment on that bug to give it a bump?

Back
Top Bottom