No sound in my headphones

BaronVonGrim

Power User
Plugged in headphones for the first time, but not getting any sound thru them. Sound is still comming thru my monitors. I must need to switch something somewhere. I didn't see anything in the manual, but I looked very quickly.

it's hardwired - nothing to switch. if your headphone adaptor and headphones work properly, you should hear sound when you turn up Out 1 knob. if not, something may have become loose inside.

check that your headphone and adaptor if any work properly with other gear.

I checked the headphones, and they work.
I plugged them into my 2.

The output 1 knob on the front panel.. volume is turned up.

I plugged the headphone into the front headphone jack, but sound is comming out of the monitors

If the monitors are on sound will come out of them. That's kinda the way those things work.

Reactions: yek
If I disconnect the monitors, back panel, output 1 L/R....the headphones work
Are you sure that the speakers weren’t too loud like Cliff said? There is nothing that turns on or off the headphone output if you have Out 1 turned up.

How high is Out 1 set when the headphones worked? How high when you use your monitors?

Oh, I didn't know that was Cliff..lol
I am not sure what he getting at...when he said that I couldn't hear the headphones because the monitors were on. When he said that's kind of how it works, I took it as if I was to be made to feel small for not understanding. Then thought he was implying I couldn't hear the sound coming thru my headphones because the sound out of the monitors was louder than the headphones, and that sounded silly at first. Now I wonder if it's maybe not so silly of a question. My ignorance is blind...I admit it. My view is that sound would automatically would toggle from monitor to headphone once I plug into the headphone jack.

Playing thru the monitors..... referencing the out 1 nob on the front dial: the 7 oclock position is zero sound... I turn it to about 9 oclock.. using HS8 monitors...and its at a confortable decibel for playing. When I am using the headphones... I almost have to turn the out 1 nob all the way up ( to about the 3 oclock position) to get it to begin to approach what I consider getting loud, was expecting greater volume headphones wasn't sure if that was that or if I should be disappointed in them.

Last edited:
I would say it’s the impedance of the headphones ... but the III can drive all kinds of headphones easily, better than the II, and you’ve said that the phones work well with the II.

Perhaps the phones output is broken.

I dunno how Cliff knew your exact problem from the get go lol. But from your description, it doesn't seem as if anything is broken.

You can't expect two completely different devices to exhibit the same loudness just because they're hooked up to the same output. HS8 works with Output1 @ 3 o'clock, your headphone works with Output1 @ 9 o'clock. They both work.

Two choices you have to make your setup work:
1) Lower your HS8's "Level" knob (on HS8 back panel) until it matches your headphone loudness.
or
2) Use Output1 for headphones, Output2 for HS8.

Last edited:
If he needs to turn up the III to 3 o’clock for the phones, where these work normally with the II, that indicates an issue.

Unless the OP is using a preset with very low output, and the monitors are turned up very loud ...

If he needs to turn up the III to 3 o’clock for the phones, where these work normally with the II, that indicates an issue.
He doesn't note the headphone level behavior with the II (where does he have the Output knob set on II?), he only mentions that he confirmed the headphone works on the II.

And you're assuming III Output1 @ 3 o'clock isn't "normal," I'm not sure why. Also, the II and III are different devices, I assume the headphone output level behavior isn't totally the same. Doesn't indicate an issue IMHO.
Unless the OP is using a preset with very low output, and the monitors are turned up very loud ...
This is a possibility too.

The headphones work. The issue is that your headphones are out of phase with your monitors. When you put your phones on the out of phase signal from the monitors is cancelling the sound. As I said before, turn the monitors off.

Playing thru the monitors..... referencing the out 1 nob on the front dial: the 7 oclock position is zero sound... I turn it to about 9 oclock.. using HS8 monitors...and its at a confortable decibel for playing. When I am using the headphones... I almost have to turn the out 1 nob all the way up ( to about the 3 oclock position) to get it to begin to approach what I consider getting loud, was expecting greater volume headphones wasn't sure if that was that or if I should be disappointed in them.
If your monitors are loud at 9 o clock, then you try to turn the knob up to 3 o clock to hear the headphones, the monitors will be very loud and you’ll probably stop turning the knob, never getting to the point where you can hear the headphones.

As mentioned, turn off the monitors when you aren’t using them.

He doesn't note the headphone level behavior with the II (where does he have the Output knob set on II?), he only mentions that he confirmed the headphone works on the II.
It’s because the monitors weren’t connected to the II when he tested, so he instantly heard even the smallest amount of sound with the II.

The headphones work. The issue is that your headphones are out of phase with your monitors. When you put your phones on the out of phase signal from the monitors is cancelling the sound. As I said before, turn the monitors off.
That was is it. My monitors were on. When I turn them off, sound comes thru the headphones. My monitors are connected to my power conditioner, and I leave the monitor button to "on" and control speaker on/off using the power conditioner.
Thanks for your patience Cliff.

If your monitors are loud at 9 o clock, then you try to turn the knob up to 3 o clock to hear the headphones, the monitors will be very loud and you’ll probably stop turning the knob, never getting to the point where you can hear the headphones.

As mentioned, turn off the monitors when you aren’t using them.

It’s because the monitors weren’t connected to the II when he tested, so he instantly heard even the smallest amount of sound with the II.
Also....Thanks Chris for putting in the time to help me. Appreciate that.

Back
Top Bottom