Lightweight, affordable, 1u poweramp. Anyone have experience with Monoprice?

I have a QSC gx5 poweramp currently in my rack, it came with my Axe Fx ii when I purchased the rack used. The gx5 has more than enough power, never goes past noon, but it is extremely heavy for constant transportation... Especially considering our cabs are generally used for stage sound only and at practice or super small venues where there isnt enough pa for anything but vocals... We don't mic the cabs because we go direct to foh using output 2 for audience tone when able.

As such, I've been looking for a lower priced poweramp preferable also in 1u form, but has to be stereo as we use 1 axe fx for 2 guitarist and cabs simultaneously.

The most interesting of course are the matrix, carvin dcm200l which is now discontinued and damn near impossible to find, and the ISP Stealth pro.

Unfortunately, I can't currently afford to shell out several hundred bucks right now, and don't want to sell or trade my QSC until I've got something I know for sure will work.

Therefore I stumbled across a Monoprice 605030 1u stereo poweramp that appears it may fit the bill as I found it direct from monoprice for $90 shipped. I probably should have asked first, but I pulled the trigger and ordered as it states there is a 30 day return policy if it doesn't work out... Does anyone have any experience with this poweramp, or any other thoughts? I'm hoping it will be loud enough to be heard at practice without pa, and be used for stage sound and monitoring live, while being taking A LOT of weight, about 30lbs, out of my rack.

Sorry I dont have enough posts yet to be able to link but I'll try below...

https://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id=115&cp_id=11504&cs_id=1150405&p_id=605030

Thanks!

2 412 cabs, a jet city American custom (rebranded soldano cab) and bugera slant cab.

We run both guitar rigs through one axe fx, panned left and right. Hence the need for stereo power amp. As long as we can be heard with our loud ass drummer we'll be fine.

Most live venues we are direct into pa, cabs just for monitor and stage sound.

the Monoprice amp is very low powered. assuming your cabs are 8 ohm, it will only send up to 100 watts out to the cab. your GX5 sent up to 500 watts to your cab at 8 ohms. if your cabs are only 16 ohms, it will be even less power.

i'm going to guess it won't be loud enough, unfortunately.

Sounds like its gonna be good that there is a 30 day return for it if it's too quiet...

I'll still give it a shot and a review for anyone else interested who may be using it just for one guitar or bridged etc.

Anyone have any other ideas of a poweramp that may be better? I can't afford to spend a lot right now, wife would kill me lol.

The carvin and isp are both still almost $400, and the matrix units are insanely expensive.

amp tech has its limits. i don't think you'll find anything less expensive that gives higher performance, unless you look at the behringer lines which typically push the lower price angle.

just one thing to always watch out of is exactly how they rate the power of the speaker. i mean look at this one:

"2-channel Power Amplifier, 500W Peak/ch at 2 ohms"

who the heck rates power amps at 2 ohms... it's not wrong, but it's misleading, and it was something i yelled at all my reps about when i worked in MI. most amps are rated at 8 ohms, program, per side. but this quote is PEAK, and at 2 ohms which is completely rare.

so always drill down to the actual specs and see what it is per side at 8 ohms program, at the least.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/NU3000--behringer-inuke-nu3000-power-amplifier

this one is 440w per side at 8 ohms, i assume that's program, and it's ~$230. there's nothing else really that will get close. for amps, higher power usually means weight - it's just how the tech is for now.

Last edited:
amp tech has its limits. i don't think you'll find anything less expensive that gives higher performance, unless you look at the behringer lines which typically push the lower price angle.

just one thing to always watch out of is exactly how they rate the power of the speaker. i mean look at this one:

"2-channel Power Amplifier, 500W Peak/ch at 2 ohms"

who the heck rates power amps at 2 ohms... it's not wrong, but it's misleading, and it was something i yelled at all my reps about when i worked in MI. most amps are rated at 8 ohms, program, per side. but this quote is PEAK, and at 2 ohms which is completely rare.

so always drill down to the actual specs and see what it is per side at 8 ohms program, at the least.

this one is 440w per side at 8 ohms, i assume that's program, and it's ~$230. there's nothing else really that will get close. for amps, higher power usually means weight - it's just how the tech is for now.

I see the quoted part but am unable to see a link or exactly which amp you are taking about here.

And since I'm using a single 16ohm cab on each channel, can someone confirm the load the amp sees so I can rate it right?

Another confusing thing, the cabs are either 200 or 300 watt cabs I think, so if I've really been sending 500watts to each of them as the guy above said how have I not blown them?

The bugera is their standard 412 slanted with their standard white and black backed bugera speakers, the jet city is a 48cv American custom (basically rebranded soldano) loaded with celestion v30s which they no longer sell, you have to go through their custom making process now to get it. I got it due to it being marked wrong price on Zzounds when they launched it and managed to get the cab with v30 loaded and shipped for under $400... Having great service Zzounds of course honored their listed price. Probably the best deal I've ever gotten as it cost less than just getting the speakers by themselves!

I see the quoted part but am unable to see a link or exactly which amp you are taking about here.
i added the link above. must have forgotten to paste it.

And since I'm using a single 16ohm cab on each channel, can someone confirm the load the amp sees so I can rate it right?
a channel on an amp is independent of the other channel. 1x 16-ohm cab plugged into a channel is 16-ohm - it doesn't matter what's in the other channel. that channel is 16-ohm. 2x 16-ohm cabs run in parallel (which is actually one cab to the other, then that cab to the amp) takes the load to 8-ohm.

so 1x 16-ohm cab to each channel is 2 separate 16-ohm loads, not 8.

Another confusing thing, the cabs are either 200 or 300 watt cabs I think, so if I've really been sending 500watts to each of them as the guy above said how have I not blown them?

i could use a 1000w amp into a 200w cab, and not blow it up. it has the potential to push out 1000w to the cab, but i would use controls on the amp to keep everything in order. you'll hear the speakers start to break up if they are working too hard.

Last edited:
Thank you!

I have also now been contacted by another forum member offering what appears to be a good deal on a carvin dcm2000lx, if I can make the wife understand the cost difference I'll likely be trying to purchase it from him.

Solid State Watts don't work the same as Tube Watts, so as Chris stated, you can run a more powerful amp with your cabs. I frequently use a Crown iTech 4k to power a single JBL or XiTone wedge. WAY too much power, but I don't drive it hard. Never even come close to blowing it up. It's a matter of common sense and using your ears. If you are driving your speakers too hard, you will know.

On the topic of the Monoprice amp, I have 0% faith that it will be loud enough (or even a good medium volume).
For a price of $79, you can't reasonably expect that it will do the job of powering two 4x12s.

Thank you!

I have also now been contacted by another forum member offering what appears to be a good deal on a carvin dcm2000lx, if I can make the wife understand the cost difference I'll likely be trying to purchase it from him.
MUCH better idea.

My XLS1000 struggles to drive serious volume through 16 ohm loads. It's just not what the digital amps are designed for and it really stresses them out to run such high impedance.

I was thinking about this too since the III is named after it’s rack footprint.

Opinions on the ART SLA-2 v. matrix GTX 1000 1U?

I’m driving two 2x12s. I can configure them for 4, 8 or 16 ohms.

Thanks!

I was thinking about this too since the III is named after it’s rack footprint.

Opinions on the ART SLA-2 v. matrix GTX 1000 1U?

I’m driving two 2x12s. I can configure them for 4, 8 or 16 ohms.

Thanks!
I had the SLA-2 before I got the GT800FX. They are comparable sound wise and both are louder than I need with either a 2x12 8ohm cab or two Xitone wedges.

But the SLA-2 is a beast as far as weight and size. It's super heavy courtesy of massive heatsinks (no fans) and super deep (deeper than Axe Fx!). Also, only banana plug connectors for your speaker cables.

If you stay put, not bad... If you move your gear with any regularity, get the Matrix... Unless you like to workout!

Back
Top Bottom