Set List Maker vs BandHelper

I haven't found a better one than Unrealbook yet. Takes pdfs for charts, makes setlists, easy page turning, takes Bluetooth pedals like airturn. You can type, write and draw on the pdfs.
I have it set up with a Lightning to USB adapter and a $6,- midi adapter and it sends song info into my footcontroller when I open a song. The pedal then sets up the song, which contains a couple of presets I can then press on to actually start the song.

Last edited:
I haven't found a better one than Unrealbook yet. Takes pdfs for charts, makes setlists, easy page turning, takes Bluetooth pedals like airturn. You can tie, write and draw on the pdfs.
I have it set up with a Lightning to USB adapter and a $6,- midi adapter and it sends song info into my footpad all when I open a song. The pedal then selects the song, which contains a couple of presets I can then press on to actually start the song.
i've done a few gigs with the dev of UnrealBook :)

i prefer Bandhelper because i don't need to create PDF files. i can just put the text in and then it's adjustable for size, i can quickly add more space between verses to adjust scroll speed, etc. much better than a pdf with crazy margins, making the text even smaller, adjusting for that, etc etc. dynamic text is great.

i wish that when i adjusted the size of the text though, that it would just save that size immediately. last i used it, i have to tap to get a menu to save. if i adjust the text once, chances are i'll need it like that the next time, so if it could just auto-save text size changes, that'd be amazing :)

I need to draw diagrams to help my ADD brain keep track of what to play where. Playing a worship catalog is confusing. In one song I slide from Bb to F on the b-string, in another from Bb to E and yet another from A to G. Getting that wrong is a huge false note.

It's not like a cover band where you've heard all the songs a million times on the radio. Some of these songs I literally only heard twice while practicing.

@arlomedia could you comment on the future possibility of running SetListMaker/bandhelper on win10 tablets?

I wouldn't say it will never happen, but I don't currently have plans to develop a Windows version. I am already developing for three platforms (iOS, Android and web) and that's a lot of work for one person.

i wish that when i adjusted the size of the text though, that it would just save that size immediately. last i used it, i have to tap to get a menu to save.

It used to work that way, but it confused a lot of people. It turns out when people swipe to change pages, they often drag an extra finger on the screen. That was interpreted as a pinch to resize, which was then auto-saved, and the next time they came back to the song, it was super big or super small. If you were syncing text sizes with your bandmates, it became even more confusing. Linking the function to an explicit action seems to work better in this case.

We are an A'capella quartet looking for the best Android app for our needs.
We require the ability to
  1. Create and save setlists
  2. Play pitch and/or start notes
  3. Import and display scores or lyrics (already formed in pdf format)
  4. Create a database of searchable setlists based on venue/song/date.
Anything else would be a bonus (though I have the feeling that I've missed an essential here)
What would be your recommendations please?

We are an A'capella quartet looking for the best Android app for our needs.
We require the ability to
  1. Create and save setlists
  2. Play pitch and/or start notes
  3. Import and display scores or lyrics (already formed in pdf format)
  4. Create a database of searchable setlists based on venue/song/date.
Anything else would be a bonus (though I have the feeling that I've missed an essential here)
What would be your recommendations please?
BandHelper. You can do most of the work on web browser, then sync separate user accounts to the same data. It has a start pitch function (add a button on a layout), and all the other things. It's really vital to my performances!

Bummer that SetListMaker cannot run from a Win10 tablet

I already use my iPad for controlling our mixer, and going back and forth between the two apps is tedious (the mixere needs 10-15 seconds to re-synchronize every time I go to that app). I would have liked to be able to use my two tablets (iPad and Win10)

As Chris mentions, I use SetList Maker to control my Ax8 rig. It works like a charm, and I am impressed with the speed of the app. Setting up new songs and setlists takes only a few seconds per song (depending on the amount of info, you want to include)

Hi Smittefar,
you mention "I use SLM to control my AX8", I presume you mean via Midi? This is what I'm trying to accomplish...
any insight into the steps I need to set this up?

I have used SLM for basic function & now want to use it to select my AX8 preset, before we count in the songs live.

thanks for any help!
RJ (in Denver, CO)

I seem to remember that you have buy an (in-app) midi extension to the app.

In SLM, you have to make a midi preset for each preset you wish to use (for me, it is one per song), and then you have to attach the midi preset to the song in SLM.

After that, it is 'just' a question of getting the midi mapping right.

In AX8, we have Preset Banks (PB) and Preset Numbers (PN) within each bank (1-8).

In Setlist Maker, you have to write the 'standard midi code', which is Bank MSB, Bank LSB and Program.

To translate from AX8 to SLM, the formula is

Bank MSB = 0 for banks 1-16, 1 for banks 17-32, 2 for banks 33-48 and 4 for banks 49-64
Bank LSB = 0
Program = ((BN-1)*8+PN)-MSB*128-1

I actually made an excel sheet for myself to keep track of the conversion - it is attached, so you can try it out. https://www.dropbox.com/s/zp89fxhiagt2zvl/MidiMapping.xlsx?dl=0

I recently switched from SetlistMake to BandHelper. No more excuses from lazy ass band members that they didn't have the song or setlist. No more waiting till the day of a gig for a set list. On Arlo's behalf you won't find a more dedicated developer anywhere. I often wonder if this guy ever sleeps!

I recently switched from SetlistMake to BandHelper. No more excuses from lazy ass band members that they didn't have the song or setlist. No more waiting till the day of a gig for a set list. On Arlo's behalf you won't find a more dedicated developer anywhere. I often wonder if this guy ever sleeps!

Does setlist maker/band helper have a Section feature like OnSong where you can insert MIDI data per section. And then set a blue tooth page turner to jump from section to section. The use case would be.
1. When a song is opened, send midi to select preset
2. Use page turner to cycle through each section of a song (verse, chorus, bridge, etc...)
3. Each section may have its own MIDI data that is sent when you move to that section. I.e. Verse is scene 1, chorus scene 2, and so on

Aside from expression pedal use, the axe or whatever else would be driven by what section of the song you are in.

+1 for Bandhelper and for Arlo. He is incredibly responsive and this has become an indispensable tool for our band

At my last gig I had bandhelper set up to change my ax8 presets for each song and it works like a charm.
I also had BH send DMXIS the song tempo, so my lights were also in time with the song. I have a few lighting presets set up to match the mood of the song and they are also sync'd up.

Then I have a different lighting scene for breaks (static blue pretty much)

Being able to trigger all this at once by swiping the tablet once per song was amazing!

Thanks Arlo for a great product.

I use SongBook and recommend it. There are versions for Android, ios and a desktop app, too. It interfaces well with DropBox and I can access my files from all of my connected devices.as

Best of all, as a guitar player, I like being able to incorporate TAB and ChorPro notation into my files.

Check it out...

To translate from AX8 to SLM, the formula is

Bank MSB = 0 for banks 1-16, 1 for banks 17-32, 2 for banks 33-48 and 4 for banks 49-64
Bank LSB = 0
Program = ((BN-1)*8+PN)-MSB*128-1

Don't understand this: " Program = ((BN-1)*8+PN)-MSB*128-1"
Please can you explain it?
Thanks

Last edited:
BN is the AX8 bank number
PN is the AX8 preset number

So if you want to get to AX8 bank 20 preset 3, you get MSB = 1 and
Program = (( 20-1)*8+3)-1*128-1 = (19*8+3)-128-1 = 26

Back
Top Bottom