how to reduce latency on down shifted patches

Kind of funny that this thread got posted as I was just about to create one about the same thing from my weekend's work with setting up down tuned patches. The first time, I set this stuff up ( a few months back) the latency killed me, couldn't handle it, even when only dropping 1 semi tone. I remembered reading a post from Cliff saying something about changing the pitch source from local to global... I filed that away for later

Fast forward to this weekend and a few F/W updates later and I decided to try it again because for some reason 4 guitars just isn't enough for all the tunings I need ;). All I did different was set the pitch source to global and low and behold I have 0 latency or at least so little my ears can't hear it at all. The lowest I went was -4 on the voice shift using fixed harmony and no issues and I'm wireless too. Now I was playing stuff like Slipknot and Lacuna Coil so fast but no crazy chord structures but it was 1000x better than it was before. I was going to create this thread to see if any of you have tried just doing just the global thing since the latest F/W updates.

Maybe it's just me, I'm pretty sure Cliff would say nothing has changed there in the past 3 or so f/w updates that would effect this I know I don't remember reading anything regarding this in any of the release notes but I can't deny what I am experiencing. I'm totally floored with my ability to get down to drop A now with no issues. Give it a shot guys and I hope that you have the same success! Below is what I am using...

- Wireless GLXD > Korg PitchBlack > MK II (front input)
- Patch is a slightly modified version of Freemen's Mark Day HBE (no deep edit options changed, only a little EQ'n)
- Fixed Harmony pitch block with voice #1 volume @ 0% and Voice #2 set @ 100% (typical) and Pitch source set to GLOBAL

experiment with this setting, because if cpu is high, setting to LOCAL will actually give you a much steadier pitch shift

I'll have to mess with that then. I'm not sure what the CPU usage is at off the top of my head. I do know that this is essentially the exact same preset I've been using since I tried it last. When I tried it last I know it was set to LOCAL and it sounded like I was playing through a Morpheus drop tune pedal. It was so bad I just forgot about working with it, although I probably should have tried your ADSR setting trick. It's perfect now with setting it to global.

Can someone take a screenshot of the correct ADSR settings? I don't seem to be able to set any of the ADSR values to less than 1ms, which is too long. I'm assuming that Simeon's 2.6ms is the sum of A+D.

I must be missing something.

here's what you do...

put a volume block in parallel with the pitch shifter
bypass the pitch shifter with bypass mode set to mute
attach the adsr to the volume block "volume" param
set the attack of the adsr to 1ms
decay to 3ms
sustain to 1ms
release to 1ms
level to 100%
and set the threshold so that when you hit the strings you hear the attack portion on each hit (should be around -25db)

unmute the pitch block

here's what you do...

decay to 3ms
sustain to 1ms
release to 1ms
level to 100%
and set the threshold so that when you hit the strings you hear the attack portion on each hit (should be around -25db)

unmute the pitch block
Mucous grassy ass. Thanks for the assist to a clueless newb.

G
the title of this thread should really be how to DISGUISE latency on down shifted patches...

tracking forward from this discussion here - http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-fx-ii-discussion/57144-preset-75-latency-wtf.html

Gira said "But... If we could have a variable mix that drops to 0% only on the attack of a sound, the player could feel less latency. I have no idea about how to detect the attack of all the notes..."

which got me thinking....

so i did an experiment where i dropped a pitch block in front of an amp downtuned by a tone. i set pitch source to "local poly" and reduced tracking to about 3, which is what i would normally do.

then i dropped a volume block in parallel to the pitch block and attached the "volume" param to the adsr

i then set the adsr to open the volume parameter for 2.6ms, which is just enough to let some of the attack portion of each chord through

it seems to work ok!

now this wouldn't be any good for superfast shredding, because it's tricky to get the adsr to reset on every new note, but for slower rockier rhythm playing it seems to work fine

patch attached for your amusement....
Great hint; have been battling with this for a few months. Thanks a lot Simeon.

here's what you do...

decay to 3ms
sustain to 1ms
release to 1ms
level to 100%

unmute the pitch block

@simeon - thank you! Works like a charm!

I have constructed this but was wondering about the ADSR - the one I used was the global ADSR#2 under controllers. Is there such thing as a local ADSR (or just the two available in controllers)? Or am I doing the correct method?

I've also attached a controller to turn it on and off for the 1/2 step drop - super cool. Makes playing to drop tunings like Jimi or SRV easy.

“set the adsr to open the volume parameter for 2.6ms” ??? How exactly do I do that? In ADSR or in volume, I am a little confused.

Section 7.3.2 of the manual, page 142 of my copy. Start by setting
A minimum
D minimum
S 2.6ms
R minimum
then adjust the settings, and the Threshold, until it sounds right for you.

Back
Top Bottom