Axe-Fx II "Quantum" Rev 8.00 Public Beta

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just did a direct comparison between Q8.00 Beta and Q7.02 release. I used the latest factory Plexi Normal preset for both boxes.

Q8 has clearly improved string-to-string definition on six-note chords. Not any brighter, but more crisp and more detailed. If you run presets with a pushed power amp, you're going to like this.

Houston, we have texture. :)
Sounds like I need to update!

It would be cool to have more effects. I mean there's a whole DSP dedicated to them too, and there's still so many pedals out there that do some pretty hard to reconstruct sounds that I'd love to be able to have at my fingertips. It can't be fair to say "yeah, well many pedals just throw together several effects into one circuit and you can recreate them with several blocks" as I've heard some say.

Sometimes it feels like Cliff's key to customer loyalty besides rapid updates is just making amps a bit bassy on one update and
then making them a bit more trebly on the next, so people will keep on marveling at the changes from the previous
update, perhaps made manifest by whatever tweaks they have to make to their presets. "Oh this one brightens up the mud, oh, this one sounds so much fuller and not tinny". Or "Cliff made a parameter I never thought about more accurate, he's so on it, it's so much better". Heresy, you say? It might be.
Then again, this is still my favorite piece of kit, so, love the update.
As others have already pointed out, the updates are free and I can't think of any other product out there in any shape or form that has so many updates as the AXE FX has. You could be just stuck with a piece of equipment from another manufacturer that only includes bug fixes and nothing else. Let us not get too greedy with an already amazing piece of equipment.

Tried the beta out a little bit ago, and am getting some odd behavior with the Nuclear Tone model in Q8. Seemed really boxy and fuzzy to me, and I couldn't get it to clean up even with Input Drive turned way down to 1. Temporarily installed 7.0.2 just to make sure I wasn't going crazy and It's definitely cleaner with input drive: 4 then Q8beta is at input drive: 1 (reinstalled 8 beta, and am still getting the buzzy clipped sound on the model). Anyone else having a similar experience with the Nuclear Tone?

How many hours do you guys think before someone like @nojyeloot says some new parameter has "changed my life"? ala https://forum.fractalaudio.com/thre...-firmware-release.125625/page-17#post-1498260

I give it 0.25 to 3 hours.

Regardless, thanks for the new firmware, and I very much appreciate FAS's effort.

Wow, been holding on to that one a while, eh? Since I rarely post, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt that you didn't grasp my exaggeration meant in a positive way. Ya, motor drive is amazing and changed how I created presets and shifted my standards. Happier now? Now, move along and enjoy your free firmware, and pls try to keep things civil.

That being said, to contribute to the thread: I downloaded 8beta and it keeps crashing axe edit so I rolled back, I'm guessing it's a corrupt download on my end (it happens). Will try a fresh download tomorrow. Thanks FAS as always. Can't wait to try.

Yeah I love motor drive also, however, I have found that I prefer motor drive at higher settings when playing at lower volumes and when I perform at gigs, I prefer motor drive to a more conservative settings.

Tried it out in my studio and every amp I tried was great! I even accidentally hit an amp I don't normally use and it was great! The real test will be through the CLR's when I get a chance. Thanks!

Just spent my whole weekend trying to update all of my Axe-Fx and AX8 presets for 7.02. (The changes to the Comp block did the most damage to my stuff)............. and Beta Q8 drops....:eek: The AX8 never even got to see an official Q7.02....:p

The same thing happened with Q7....:confused: and Q6....and Q5.....and Q4......and....;)

Can't wait to try it out. I hope it doesn't change things much......

Cliff......your an animal...........and your killing me!o_O

I spent 5 hrs so far on only 2 amps. The dirty Shirley 2 and the bogner red modern. These are amps I have never got along with before. We are now best of friends. I have been on the fractal journey since 2009 and it is still always exciting!

From the release notes:

Improved amp modeling. Improves clarity and sounds more “open” especially for non-MV amp models or when the MV is turned up.

I wonder what that means under the hood?
Is it a big change in the basic way how the modelling works? Or is this related to then new bias default settings only? Just some other now better meassured values?

Anyway, I can't wait to hear it.

It's a little "tin foil hat" DreDawg. Might make sense if FAS charged for FW updates, but...

Regardless, I'll look to try this out later, but I'm so pleased with what I have in 7.2, this may be the 1st time in recorded history that I won't upgrade.

Oh, who the hell am I kidding? Off to my little black box.

No, there's nothing tin foil hat about building brand loyalty and Cliff does that in spades. One can still address issues that targets one frequency range one time and a different one another time, it keeps it interesting and keeps us raving about it, just as I did to one of the artists from my hometown on the public artist list, until he bought one and got on it. He's not even known as a guitar player per se and now he raves to others about it too.

Still would love more effects!

Last edited:
It would be cool to have more effects. I mean there's a whole DSP dedicated to them too, and there's still so many pedals out there that do some pretty hard to reconstruct sounds that I'd love to be able to have at my fingertips. It can't be fair to say "yeah, well many pedals just throw together several effects into one circuit and you can recreate them with several blocks" as I've heard some say.

Sometimes it feels like Cliff's key to customer loyalty besides rapid update releases is just making amps a bit bassy on one update and
then making them a bit more trebly on the next, so people will keep on marveling at the changes from the previous
update, perhaps made manifest by whatever tweaks they have to make to their presets. "Oh this one brightens up the mud, oh, this one sounds so much fuller and not tinny". Or "Cliff made a parameter I never thought about more accurate, he's so on it, it's so much better". Heresy, you say? It might be.
Then again, this is still my favorite piece of kit, so, love the update.

While I don't subscribe to your conspiracy theory I think I get what you're saying. The modelling is so accurate that the returns of any improvements are diminishing. But the effects, and especially in terms of adding new ones, have been a little left behind (which stands to reason; it's a guitar amp modeller primarily) and still have some room for improvement.

I think there's some truth to that. Personally I'm very happy with the way the amps sound in the unit. They are incredible. And I'd love to see some more attention given to the effects, which are awesome compared with any other guitar effects unit on the market but IMO have the potential to complete with serious studio/boutique gear.

While I don't subscribe to your conspiracy theory I think I get what you're saying. The modelling is so accurate that the returns of any improvements are diminishing. But the effects, and especially in terms of adding new ones, have been a little left behind (which stands to reason; it's a guitar amp modeller primarily) and still have some room for improvement.

I think there's some truth to that. Personally, I'm very happy with the way the amps sound in the unit. They are incredible. And I'd love to see some more attention given to the effects, which are awesome compared with any other guitar effects unit on the market but IMO have the potential to complete with serious studio/boutique gear.

Hopefully, Cliff will pivot. That said, I would imagine that from a process perspective, it's easier to build on the work of measuring and retweaking amp parameters (as magical as it seems) than imagineering new effects from whole cloth or navigating the intellectual property legalities of pedal makers, especially with newer, more interesting, pedals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom