Carol-Ann

wildolympic

Inspired
Capture.PNG Capture.PNG 1.PNG So this is a question for the amp guys, which of the Carol-Ann amps do you think comes the closest to a Carol-Ann JB100? I find the CA Tucana lead is pretty close but not quite there, maybe there is another amp you can recommend instead, or amp settings I am looking for a J.Bonamassa soiund. Thanks Tim. here are a couple of my settings I am using a PRS 24 through FRFR.

I'm not familiar with the JB100, but didn't he use Dumbles for a long time? Maybe one of the Dumble or derivatives will be closer...

By the way (and I hope it's a simple answer so as not to derail your thread) what's the benefit of having the reverbs block in parallel like you have them rather than just going straight through and turning the mix down?

I'm not familiar with the JB100, but didn't he use Dumbles for a long time? Maybe one of the Dumble or derivatives will be closer...

By the way (and I hope it's a simple answer so as not to derail your thread) what's the benefit of having the reverbs block in parallel like you have them rather than just going straight through and turning the mix down?

I find that running the reverb in parallel sort of softens the reverb, I find it sits in the mix better, the dry signal continues straight to the cab and the parallel mix blends with the dry so its sort of a dry, wet,dry, signal I usually run the reverb at the end of the chain (see below) and then I can mix ch 1 and ch 2 it's just a personal preference, and it depends on the patch J. Hendrix is just a strait old school strait line and in some cases I don't want my delay to have reverb applied to it so I go around it by running one or both in parallel, you might try it with all of your effects I use it with a lot of different effects. Capture.PNG

Just some observations: I noticed that in the Basic tab of the amp, you pretty much have everything set to 5... And then you are boosting like crazy in the graphic EQ.

What is the reason for that? Seems like you really want to shape the tone in the Preamp section and use the (Post PA) EQ for fine adjustments?

You've also got every band in the EQ boosted. I think typical recommendation is to cut rather than boost... and you could use the same "curve" by leveling everything to where your 9dB is 0.

Also, I used to do the same type of parallel reverb and found a good tip: put it in series, set the Mix to 50% and level to 3dB. Then use Input Gain to adjust the amount of reverb. Works great!

Also, I used to do the same type of parallel reverb and found a good tip: put it in series, set the Mix to 50% and level to 3dB. Then use Input Gain to adjust the amount of reverb. Works great!

I tried doing it the series/mix and level way and I just don't care for it, it seems to make things muddy, (maybe it's all in my head) but I do appreciate your input.

Just some observations: I noticed that in the Basic tab of the amp, you pretty much have everything set to 5... And then you are boosting like crazy in the graphic EQ.

What is the reason for that? Seems like you really want to shape the tone in the Preamp section and use the (Post PA) EQ for fine adjustments?

You've also got every band in the EQ boosted. I think typical recommendation
is to cut rather than boost... and you could use the same "curve" by leveling everything to where your 9dB is 0.

shit! your right my tone knobs are all at 5 I must have overlooked that, I was reading from a how to eq book and must have skipped right to the eq page. (what a dumbass) that's probably why the mids are so high.
I never thought about cutting from 0 I always boost (the guitar is a mid range instrument) and I don't play djent or d tuned, I will give it a try though, I am not that experienced with eqs I am still learning what to boost and what to cut, again I do appreciate your help, any more tips would be great, I try to stay opened minded.
On a side note, the tone is really close to a clip of Joe playing through his CA.

Last edited:

I tried doing it the series/mix and level way and I just don't care for it, it seems to make things muddy, (maybe it's all in my head) but I do appreciate your input.
I am with Wild on this one. I run my delay and verb in parallel. To me it is cleaner sounded I get 100% of my dry and I mix in delay(verb) to taste. The other way I have a 50/50 blend. Many guys get killer results the way you do it Unix so I def won't knock it. It is just not how my head wants to hear it.

As for original post no idea JB had a Carol Ann. Might want to search the web and see what made it different then head over to the advanced parameters tab

So this is a question for the amp guys, which of the Carol-Ann amps do you think comes the closest to a Carol-Ann JB100?

Not to be too critical, but your routing is adding some serious complexity to the tone I think you are trying to accomplish. Would you route your Carol-Ann head through a chorus > delay > reverb pedal before it goes to the cab? I know it adds character to the sound, but perhaps too much.

Do you have a song/tone/reference video or song you are trying to achieve the tone for? Maybe we could help better that way in the approach, cheers.

I'm pretty sure he used ( prior to the last couple records) a silver jubilee a LOT. Same with the live recordings. I have a few JB patches one with a jubilee and one with a dumble. Its kind of close. I think you have the right idea with boosting mids. To me, I don't think I would have everything set at 5. If you've ever seen him live, hes constantly messing with his tone and volume knobs as well. And as with most guitarists of his caliber, I think a lot of his tone comes from his hands, which to me is why its hard to replicate his tone.

I find that running the reverb in parallel sort of softens the reverb, I find it sits in the mix better, the dry signal continues straight to the cab and the parallel mix blends with the dry so its sort of a dry, wet,dry, signal I usually run the reverb at the end of the chain (see below) and then I can mix ch 1 and ch 2 it's just a personal preference, and it depends on the patch J. Hendrix is just a strait old school strait line and in some cases I don't want my delay to have reverb applied to it so I go around it by running one or both in parallel, you might try it with all of your effects I use it with a lot of different effects. View attachment 35957

There's no difference between the way you've done it and in series. The Mix control controls the ratio of dry and wet. If you put the Reverb in parallel with a shunt it's still just dry and wet.

The purpose of parallel routing the Reverb would be, say, when you want it in parallel with a Delay so that the echoes aren't sent through the reverb.

There's no difference between the way you've done it and in series. The Mix control controls the ratio of dry and wet. If you put the Reverb in parallel with a shunt it's still just dry and wet.

The purpose of parallel routing the Reverb would be, say, when you want it in parallel with a Delay so that the echoes aren't sent through the reverb.
yes, on certain patches I run in series and some in parallel just for that reason (to have no reverb on my delay) but I do find my self doing it on patches that probably don't need it. maybe it's just habit or like I said maybe it's all in my head but I just seem to prefer it that way:) P.S. when running it in series I would need to keep the reverb mix level below 50% mix is that correct? thanks Tim

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure he used ( prior to the last couple records) a silver jubilee a LOT. Same with the live recordings. I have a few JB patches one with a jubilee and one with a dumble. Its kind of close. I think you have the right idea with boosting mids. To me, I don't think I would have everything set at 5. If you've ever seen him live, hes constantly messing with his tone and volume knobs as well. And as with most guitarists of his caliber, I think a lot of his tone comes from his hands, which to me is why its hard to replicate his tone.

I have been trying to use the jubilee but I am having a hard time matching his tone, damn my useless hands:) I have been watching a lot of J.B. on you tube and he uses four amps at a time and he does talk about boosting mids.

Silver Jubilee was his main amp....but he use to run 4 amps on stage and blend them how he wanted. Jubilee, Category 5, Trainwreck, and a Van Weelden. Think he had mentioned, when he was using this set up that the Jubilee was always on. Now he uses Fender Bassmans and Twins. Monster tone either way. So fat, yet cuts without being shrill....hard to achieve that IMO!

I have been trying to use the jubilee but I am having a hard time matching his tone, damn my useless hands:) I have been watching a lot of J.B. on you tube and he uses four amps at a time and he does talk about boosting mids.
I've found that the only way to get a good tone from the Jubilee for me is to crank the master louder than you ever would in the real life. Maybe try that. I learned this from the preset Yek provided in his series.

Silver Jubilee was his main amp....but he use to run 4 amps on stage and blend them how he wanted. Jubilee, Category 5, Trainwreck, and a Van Weelden. Think he had mentioned, when he was using this set up that the Jubilee was always on. Now he uses Fender Bassmans and Twins. Monster tone either way. So fat, yet cuts without being shrill....hard to achieve that IMO!

Yeah - if theres any proof that tone is in the hands - its the fact that he went from using those 4 amps to using a twin - and it STILL sounds the same !
Agree - very hard to achieve !

Not to be too critical, but your routing is adding some serious complexity to the tone I think you are trying to accomplish. Would you route your Carol-Ann head through a chorus > delay > reverb pedal before it goes to the cab? I know it adds character to the sound, but perhaps too much.

Do you have a song/tone/reference video or song you are trying to achieve the tone for? Maybe we could help better that way in the approach, cheers.[/QUOTE

In all truth this is my first attempt at a J.B. patch and I was trying to think outside the box, almost all of my patches have the reverb as the last effect in the chain, in one of Joes videos he was talking about how he is a reverb junkie and runs his amps with different reverb settings, that's why I am running 2 reverb's anyway, I have never used 2 reverb's at once it eats a lot of CPU.
I am trying to match Joes tone off one of a YEK's post.
Fractal Audio AMP models: Brit Silver (Marshall Silver Jubilee)
yek, Mar 16, 2016 .

I've found that the only way to get a good tone from the Jubilee for me is to crank the master louder than you ever would in the real life. Maybe try that. I learned this from the preset Yek provided in his series.

Thanks for the tip anything is worth a try...and yek rules!!!!

In all truth this is my first attempt at a J.B. patch and I was trying to think outside the box, almost all of my patches have the reverb as the last effect in the chain, in one of Joes videos he was talking about how he is a reverb junkie and runs his amps with different reverb settings, that's why I am running 2 reverb's anyway, I have never used 2 reverb's at once it eats a lot of CPU.
I am trying to match Joes tone off one of a YEK's post. Fractal Audio AMP models: Brit Silver (Marshall Silver Jubilee)

Just so I'm clear, is this the tone you are seeking?

Cheers!

EDIT: This tone example of the JB100 is freakin' awesome sauce. Totally obtainable in the FAS prods to be clear:

I am with Wild on this one. I run my delay and verb in parallel. To me it is cleaner sounded I get 100% of my dry and I mix in delay(verb) to taste. The other way I have a 50/50 blend. Many guys get killer results the way you do it Unix so I def won't knock it. It is just not how my head wants to hear it.

As for original post no idea JB had a Carol Ann. Might want to search the web and see what made it different then head over to the advanced parameters tab
I used to do the same thing as you for the same reasons... but have you actually tried the way I suggested? That is supposed to be *exactly* the same. The key is in the Mix and Level settings as mentioned.

Back
Top Bottom