Axe-Fx II "Quantum" Rev 4.01 Public Beta

Added “Capt Hook” amp models based on a Hook Captain Classic 34. This amp uses a mu follower which yields a complex distortion with smooth decay. The “Rhy” model is based on channel 2 and the “Lead” model is based on channel 3. Both channels are modeled with the Edge switch on and the Boost switch off. To simulate the Boost switch use the Boost switch in the amp block as it has the same amount of gain.

First off, cannot WAIT to try this amp, thank you @FractalAudio Cliff-ster for this welcomed addition. Also cannot wait for the AX8 version of this!!! ;)

Yes, but it's in the thousands. However we are approaching the firmware size limit for the Mark I/II version. This may be the last firmware for the Mark I/II because there isn't anymore space left in the boot ROM.

As for this, we all knew this day would come so let's be realistic about product lifecycle for any product in this and other market segments. Getting how many free updates since 2011 and it still is supported currently? It's just not practical to complain about this matter, it is actuality of any consumer electronic(s) available to the public. It will be interesting to see where the Gen 1 L6 Helix will be in 2020 and where their support lifecycle aligns for future modeling for a simple comparison of the realism.

A recommendation for FAS though? If this truly is a barrier for the AFX II MI & MII potentially, can we lock in on a version possibly just stating that FW 4.01 (.02 > .03 > 04) will be the last DOT VERSION supported for these models? That way the development for any discovered bug fixes can be improved on say 4.02+ for AFX II MI and MII only? Then when version Quantum 5 comes out, it is a clear delineation of where the most current models of AFX II (XL & XL+) will be supported going further. Just a thought, was curious on the forum member's thoughts on this as well.. Love my FAS products, it's all I use now and simply keeps getting better. Appreciate all the work the FAS team puts into it!

I am sure a lot of the people saying "just go out an buy an XL+" would also be up in arms if Fractal came out with an Axe FX3 tomorrow and said they wouldn't support Axe FX2 FW anymore.

I have 2 XL's, but I'd love it if Cliff announced an Axe 3. Lack of support for my XL's wouldn't bother me at all.

I used to come here regularly hoping for FW upgrades because I wasn't totally happy. I hardly visit the site since the last 9-12 months because I'm happy with the sounds I'm able to get. If FW updates stopped for me today, I don't really think I'd be too bothered as I don't see how Cliff can improve things much from here and there are way more amps than I'm ever going to use.

I do still have a Line 6 Vetta (somewhere) which is still on FW 2.5, despite having bugs that still need fixing. Then Line 6 started to charge for additional amps! 'Up in Arms' is a strong phrase and not one that any of us are entitled to in my opinion.

I am sure a lot of the people saying "just go out an buy an XL+" would also be up in arms if Fractal came out with an Axe FX3 tomorrow and said they wouldn't support Axe FX2 FW anymore.

You make it sound as if Fractal Audio is simply choosing not to support the MK I/II. There's a technical reason behind it. If there were a technical reason why the company couldn't support the XL+, I'd be disheartened but I'd start planning to purchase an Axe FX III. In this particular case, I don't know that I'd bother upgrading to the XL+ unless FAS included something extraordinary in a future update.

You make it sound as if Fractal Audio is simply choosing not to support the MK I/II. There's a technical reason behind it. If there were a technical reason why the company couldn't support the XL+, I'd be disheartened but I'd start planning to purchase an Axe FX III.
But there is a solution (if only temporary) that will allow FW upgrades for Mark I and II that requires a little sacrifice for a small number of XL/XL+ users. That's all I'm saying.

But there is a solution (if only temporary) that will allow FW upgrades for Mark I and II that requires a little sacrifice for a small number of XL/XL+ users. That's all I'm saying.

I understand. If removing older firmware would allow for numerous (20 or more) firmware upgrades, I think the trade-off would be worth it. If the trade-off offers a very limited upgrade path, I'd prefer the status quo.

I understand. If removing older firmware would allow for numerous (20 or more) firmware upgrades, I think the trade-off would be worth it. If the trade-off offers a very limited upgrade path, I'd prefer the status quo.
Exactly. This is a completely sensible response. Current non-Mark users should probably not be inconvenienced just to facilitate a couple more releases and I personally don't want to play Russian Roulette with any of the FX blocks, etc.That is probably just going to be a mess.

And to the folks who cannot see the down side to FAS for fragmenting the user base; I do not have to time to explain to you how support, customer satisfaction, and R&D, etc, work or interact, there are interactions and trade offs on several fronts as well as strategic and tactical considerations. Thankfully, I know full well FAS does and they have a peerless track record of doing everything they can with a customer focus. So when the end of the line comes for any member of the II series devices as it did for the gen 1s I am certain they will have done all they can... and more than one could ever expect, to support their users and build great products.

No one who has any clue about technology expects the gravy train to run forever but if there is some obvious trade off that keeps things going for a significant time it should be pursued (IMHO). Otherwise, pick a cut off point, tie it off neatly, and announce a final release. Unit will certainly still kick butt.

The fairest thing to do would be to just stop upgrading every current product. Mark Is, Mark IIs, XLs, XL+s, AX8s. Everything!

;)
-
Austin

Probably not a popular opinion? I'm delighted with my mk2 as it is, I wouldn't mind if it didn't upgrade. This unit does everything I need and way way way more.

I'm still after 3 years of owning, only scratching the surface of its capabilities/ possibilities.

I feel a lot of my "creative" time is spent trying "new tweaks" after firmware updates, rather than actually playing and making music.

I understand the desire to recreate classic tones etc, but I believe the best guitar tones have still to be discovered, I know all the tools for me to create great tones new or old, live inside my mk2 as it stands and doesn't need to be improved?
If anything needs updating/ improving it would be my musical imagination?

This is absolutely spot on. You could spend the next five years and still not have explored everything the Axe has to offer. You could get by with just five amp models and, with the advanced parameters, still get most of the tones you'd ever need.

For those who've been around long enough to remember from the Ultra days, the Axe forum used to be a wealth of useful information with very experienced people exchanging ideas about how to create tones. With it's deserved success, I guess the Axe has kind of become a fancy, high end POD with folk demanding hundreds of presets to cover their every need. Shame really, but that's (commercial) progress I guess.

By the way, truly great work over the last 10 years FAS. Thank you.

First of all concerning the subject of the thread , Both the new amp models totally ROCK, as well as the Recto improvements, and Drive block improvements " great update!! Looking forward to the Final Release!

Concerning The MKI/MKII sadness: I remember well when the AxFx II first came out, I had just bought a backup Ultra less than a month before, and thought man if Id known that I would have waited! Very shortly after learned FW10 was the end of the road for the Ultra, Man was I upset, then Cliff packed in all of the next firmware options he could fit and gave us FW11for the Ultra! (He didn't have to) The more I thought about it the more I realized, when I bought it I knew that day would come, so there's 2 choices stay upset or move on. Which really leaves 1 choice, Move on. I actually got the best tones out of my Ultra while waiting to upgrade to a AxFx II (which I actually miss)! I currently am an XL+ user and have no problem giving up the former firmware options if needed ( I don't use them, but some do), however I think it might be a very short life extension and possibly not worth it to Cliff! Let's face it Cliff has given us far more out of our investment than we've ever gotten from another piece of gear, By Far! At some point it's time to belly up to the bar and press forward! I know sooner or later the XL will be the same. I'll just have to figure a way to upgrade or be happy with all I already have.

I'm just waiting for the official 4.01 release...

I don't know why I'm lost on this as long as I've been here but I thought small revisions are made in "Q4.0x" increments and the final release goes up to "Q5.0"

Probably one of most noob questions I can ask right now but then again, I am a "rookie" lol

Removing FW choices from the boot ROM will not hurt sales but ONLY some users who ALREADY bought their XL or XL+. So it's about the choice of how many upset users will be who ALREADY bought their AxeFx.
The only reason I used the FW version utility was to remind myself how awesome is the latest one.

Last edited:
I got a mark 2 so long as the final firmware is bug free I'm golden. That being said. I'll be even better if we the axe fx plugin with all the fxs

My opinion... Add the promised bass amps, make sure the final firmware is 99% bug free, and call it a day. For those that aren't satisfied upgrade to the XL. For the people with out much disposable income, If you sell your mark 1 or 2 and buy a used XL you're only looking at around $500. Not the end of the world right? Another bonus is every one that buys a new XL is supporting FAS and enabling continued support. Ive seen so many posts that go on and on about how great the company is for allowing the users to interact directly with the developers to influence the features etc on this forum.. Well show your support by upgrading.

Last edited:
And I would find that just as ridiculous as well. This stuff is digital, it is to be expected that at some point it will no longer be supported. That's just how this stuff works. The same way Microsoft no longer supports olds versions of Windows, apple no longer supports PPC systems, and the way ain't no longer supports the original PlayStation. It's just how it goes.

The recent lack of forum drama was very refreshing... so I guess it was too much to expect it to last.

Well at least its mostly contained in the one thread at the moment. Also since everyone is already making suggestions here i may as well ask if we can have a sub forum just for 1000+ word speculation essays/love notes to the FAS boss? Not that i dont want to see them, i erm, just would like them separated out so i can, erm, read them all at once? Yeah, thats it.

Back
Top Bottom