Piezo/Electric new challenge

Hey Jeb, I don't know if you're addressing me, but if you are then:

I don't have two separate outputs on my guitar, except I have a 3 way toggle switch between magnetic and piezo, just like the neck bridge toggle switch. pos1=magnetic, centre = magnetic+piezo and position 3 = piezo. I have converted the tone knob for neck pickup into a blend knob for centre position which let's me control how much of the magnetic and how much of the piezo I want in my output.

Hey there!! Can't wait to listen to your result! I'm a long time axefx ultra user... Thinking about upgrade with the ax8.. just wondering.. you plug the magnetic output in the main input and the piezo out to the in2 fx return input??

Thanks for the help!
Jerome

Yes, you can, but you lose the ability to use the second output as a separate monitor send.

ok!! Thanks for the reply!
Right now with the ultra, the magnetic is plugged in the front input, the piezo on the back input... On all my clean patches, I set up the magnectic path hard panned to the left and the peizo path hard panned to the right. Main outputs of the axe to foh and I use fxl block to send the magnetic signal to my power amp and cab without the cab emulation. I'm wondering if I can do that on the AX8

IIRC, the front input is the left and the rear input is the right for a stereo input on the Ultra.

The input on the AX8 is mono, and there is no mixer block. I don't think you can do what you want with the AX8.

I tried to do this a few months ago, and could not get what I wanted. I had to use the main (mono) input on the AX8 and use the toggle switch on my PRS to go from the magnetic pickups to the piezo. I used different signal paths using scenes that I manually switched on the AX8 when switching the mini toggle on the PRS. I could not use both the pickups and the piezo with separate signal paths for each with that preset.

Since the AX8 input is mono, the only way to get a separate signal path for the piezo is to use the FX loop and input 2 for the piezo. When you do that you lose the ability to use output 2 as a separate monitor send (which I need).

@ethomas1013 many thanks for the detailed explanation!! I'm going to look for an alternative for the piezo sound. Maybe a pedal or a DI to the foh with the piezo signal that I can mute and unmute via midi from th ax8 ! The goal is to have to magnetic and piezo always ON an control it via preset change.

The Fishman Aura boxes sound really great. You can get a really natural acoustic tone out of them using a piezo equipped solid body guitar.

So, I have a double output guitar, some of you already know. I also have a good sounding tonematch block now that i use as an .IR for the acoustic signal.

So I am trying to have a Stereo UltraRes cab, Right cab %100 Right panned acoustic tonematch, Left Cab %100 Left panned Electric guitar cab.

The acoustic layer joining right before cab block from an effects loop and EQ panned %100 right.

And electric layer joining the cab as %100 right panned Amp block.

Everything works as coming out of cab block hardpanned electric guitar and acoustic guitar, left and right.

But now the signal is mono out from cab, (I record stereo, only Left channel sends signal), and is there any way to get to get both in center?

any chance of sharing the patch? thanks

Oh i forgot this thread. I am gonna post stuff asap.
Hi Cem, any chance of getting to try your patch?
I have a bunch of gigs coming up, also use a electric with piezo
and to try your patch as a blue print I think would me immensely
setting up my own!

IIRC, the front input is the left and the rear input is the right for a stereo input on the Ultra.

The input on the AX8 is mono, and there is no mixer block. I don't think you can do what you want with the AX8.

I tried to do this a few months ago, and could not get what I wanted. I had to use the main (mono) input on the AX8 and use the toggle switch on my PRS to go from the magnetic pickups to the piezo. I used different signal paths using scenes that I manually switched on the AX8 when switching the mini toggle on the PRS. I could not use both the pickups and the piezo with separate signal paths for each with that preset.

Since the AX8 input is mono, the only way to get a separate signal path for the piezo is to use the FX loop and input 2 for the piezo. When you do that you lose the ability to use output 2 as a separate monitor send (which I need).

Im a complete noob with piezo (and the ax8) but am thinking of getting a P22. If you send the piezo to input 2 but just have 1 pair of monitors, will that work? Both piezo and magnetic pickups will sound through the same monitors? Will you just hear the natural sound of the piezos or does it need to run through an AX8 patch? (that's probably a dumb question I know).

Im a complete noob with piezo (and the ax8) but am thinking of getting a P22. If you send the piezo to input 2 but just have 1 pair of monitors, will that work? Both piezo and magnetic pickups will sound through the same monitors? Will you just hear the natural sound of the piezos or does it need to run through an AX8 patch? (that's probably a dumb question I know).

You need to create a separate signal path in the Ax8 for the piezo sound using the Fx return block (that's where input 2 will come in). You can then add a bit of compression or whatever you want on the other path. Both paths meet at the end which means that sounds from both paths will come through your monitors so yeah that will work just fine.

I have a P245 but never really bothered with different signal paths. I just use a separate acoustic preset and switch on the piezo on the guitar when I switch to the acoustic preset. Not as fancy but it works fine.

Back
Top Bottom