FracTool - for power users only

Thanks Mike :)
Bug 1 is fixed in upcoming version.
I couldn't reproduce bug 2, on my windows setup Cab 2 X/Y are polled correctly.

Hi Al;

Thanx for reply!
That you can't reproduce bug 2 may be associated with Windows as OS.
It's definitely not working under Mac OS X as described above.

I think, it will be necessary to check it with Mac OS ;-)
I could post a preset, but I think, that doesn't make any difference.
If you develop the Mac version, you ought to make debugging sessions, do you?
Are you debugging only under El Capitan?

BTW I think, I'm not the only Mac OS X user, having that problem.

Kindly regards and thank you for attention!
Mike

Added a context menu to show a preset's layout
Next version, right? (Just downloaded 2.10 and tried right-clicking a preset, no context menu shows up)
Be very cool if the layout screen "persists" so it stays on-screen and updates as I click on different presets without needing to right-click again... :)

Next version, right? (Just downloaded 2.10 and tried right-clicking a preset, no context menu shows up)
Be very cool if the layout screen "persists" so it stays on-screen and updates as I click on different presets without needing to right-click again... :)
right, next version is 2.11

thanks! So can I for example, export an entire set of say 2 dozen cabs from my axe ii and then paste them directly into my ax8 and have them go into the same user slot?

I tried converting some presets + cab bundled presets I have from The Cab Factory from Axe-Fx II to the AX8. Unfortunately these bundled presets crash FracTool every time. The preset bundles were created a number of firmware revisions ago. Is this a known issue? I thought it use to work, but I haven't had much of a chance to work with the tool.

I tried converting some presets + cab bundled presets I have from The Cab Factory from Axe-Fx II to the AX8. Unfortunately these bundled presets crash FracTool every time. The preset bundles were created a number of firmware revisions ago. Is this a known issue? I thought it use to work, but I haven't had much of a chance to work with the tool.
As usual, Send me the problematic files

FWIW, I downloaded the Cab Factory free sample presets the other day, and they have all translated great to Ax8

As usual, Send me the problematic files
I was going to PM you one of The Cab Factory combined preset/IR that crash FracTool (Mac) every time, but the PM system will not let me attach a file. The file is commercial so I can't post it here. If you PM me an email address I will send a couple. Thanks.

I was going to PM you one of The Cab Factory combined preset/IR that crash FracTool (Mac) every time, but the PM system will not let me attach a file. The file is commercial so I can't post it here. If you PM me an email address I will send a couple. Thanks.
PMed you ;)

Here's a screen cap of me trying to update to the latest from 2.01. No obvious security issues to allow. Not sure what to do aside rom download a fresh file and install over top.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-05-19 at 4.09.56 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-05-19 at 4.09.56 PM.png
    83 KB · Views: 26
Here's a screen cap of me trying to update to the latest from 2.01. No obvious security issues to allow. Not sure what to do aside rom download a fresh file and install over top.

Based on the screen shot it looks like it's trying to download to /FracTool.pkg, which makes me think it's trying to write to your root dir (what the "/" at the front means), and I know by default the main boot disk on OS X is set to be writeable only by the system and read only by other users w/o escalated privileges (i.e. a dialog that will pop up and ask you to authenticate as an administrator). Out of curiosity you definitely did not get prompted with a file chooser dialog asking you where to save the download (if so you should be choosing another location like your user home downloads or desktop or the like, that dialog might just be defaulting to your "Mac mini HD" which isn't really the best choice for saving things on a unix system like OS X)? If you're not getting a dialog where to download to and it's just gonna download it to "/" (i.e. "Mac mini HD") one thing you might try is:

1. Select your Mac mini HD icon there and do a "Get Info" (either right click, from the File menu, or pressing "Command" key + "I" on your keyboard)
  2. Go to the "Sharing and Permissions" section toward the bottom of the resulting window and then click the lock in the lower right hand corner to gain the ability to modify the access permissions for the drive temporarily
  3. Set group and "everyone" to "Read & Write"

After that I'd think it will be able to download the installer package to your hard drive just fine, and you can run the installer from there... still kind of odd that it's not prompting you where to save before it attempts the download, definitely does for me on my Mac. At any rate, if that works for you, I'd recommend setting the file permission for the drive back to the default permissions of Read & Write for the owner ("system") and the Read only for group and everyone, else just to be safe. If it's just a bug in an older version that's preventing it from showing you the dialog for where to save the download, you'll probably only need to make that change the once. Either that, or, yeah, like you said, just download the installer package from the op and install it that way.

Attachments

• Screenshot_5_19_16__9_57_PM.png
    Screenshot_5_19_16__9_57_PM.png
    59.5 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
Based on the screen shot it looks like it's trying to download to /FracTool.pkg, which makes me think it's trying to write to your root dir (what the "/" at the front means), and I know by default the main boot disk on OS X is set to be writeable only by the system and read only by other users w/o escalated privileges (i.e. a dialog that will pop up and ask you to authenticate as an administrator). Out of curiosity you definitely did not get prompted with a file chooser dialog asking you where to save the download (if so you should be choosing another location like your user home downloads or desktop or the like, that dialog might just be defaulting to your "Mac mini HD" which isn't really the best choice for saving things on a unix system like OS X)? If you're not getting a dialog where to download to and it's just gonna download it to "/" (i.e. "Mac mini HD") one thing you might try is:

1. Select your Mac mini HD icon there and do a "Get Info" (either right click, from the File menu, or pressing "Command" key + "I" on your keyboard)
  2. Go to the "Sharing and Permissions" section toward the bottom of the resulting window and then click the lock in the lower right hand corner to gain the ability to modify the access permissions for the drive temporarily
  3. Set group and "everyone" to "Read & Write"

After that I'd think it will be able to download the installer package to your hard drive just fine, and you can run the installer from there... still kind of odd that it's not prompting you where to save before it attempts the download, definitely does for me on my Mac. At any rate, if that works for you, I'd recommend setting the file permission for the drive back to the default permissions of Read & Write for the owner ("system") and the Read only for group and everyone, else just to be safe. If it's just a bug in an older version that's preventing it from showing you the dialog for where to save the download, you'll probably only need to make that change the once. Either that, or, yeah, like you said, just download the installer package from the op and install it that way.

OK 1, 2 and 3 done. Yeah I never get a prompt as to where to save an update. In fact I don't recall ever telling it where to save to. Normally everything like that goes to the Downloads folder. Don't know why that is. I guess we'll see what happens with these changes the next time an update rolls around. Thanks very much in advance. If I don't chirp up again on the issue that means it worked. Cheers!

OK 1, 2 and 3 done. Yeah I never get a prompt as to where to save an update. In fact I don't recall ever telling it where to save to. Normally everything like that goes to the Downloads folder. Don't know why that is. I guess we'll see what happens with these changes the next time an update rolls around. Thanks very much in advance. If I don't chirp up again on the issue that means it worked. Cheers!
Tested on my mac, it asked where to save...

Back
Top Bottom