Tuner accuracy and guitar set up

scottp

Fractal Fanatic
Do you guys use the Axe for setting intonation and setting up guitars?
Your experience with that?

I don't even use my Axe for tuning, let alone setups. No offense to the built-in unit, but it's significantly slower and less accurate than my Turbo Tuner. For setups, you probably want a bench tuner like the Peterson strobe. Kudos to the built-in tuner for allowing offsets, though...that elevates it for sure. But I'm also super sensitive to pitch and anal about tuning and get headaches if things are out of tune, so YMMV.

Last edited:
As I recall, the tuner (at least on the Ultra) was as accurate was a Peterson strobe tuner (+/_ 1/10 cent). I've not read up on the II's tuner but I don't do intonation with it. For that I use a Peterson because my Axe FX is not near my workbench.

Tuner accuracy varies wildly beginning around 12th fret high E and above. Sometimes the meter and ball disagree significantly. Use caution when intonating or tuning with notes in this range. C# and E (21st & 24th frets) are the worst, displayed around -10 and +25 cents respectively when actually in tune. Most others are within 5 cents. B (19th fret) is read pretty accurately on the meter at least, IIRC.

Been using one of these to setup my guitars for over a decade. Best $15 I've ever spent for guitar playing.

0prod-Korg-CA-30.jpg

I find the LCD Needle display to be nicely stable and plenty accurate for setups. Realistically, you don't need +/- 0.1 cent accuracy to properly setup a guitar. It will never intonate perfectly across the fretboard no matter how perfect you get it set at the 12th anyway. The Axe has a great tuner and now that I have an MFC, I like it even more.

I was wondering the same thing as far as how accurate it really is...or spec'd to be. It beats eating up a slot in my rack.

Usually using the Axe-Fx built in tuner, but also with a PolyTune2 box from TC Electronics, convenient for a quick "all strings" tuning. Also use that to mute the instrument ...

The tuner is more than adequate for setups; if there is a bottleneck, it’s the guitar itself (unless you have a tempered fretboard, and even then!).
No need for a billion dollar plutonium tuner!
Anyone who has spent serious time with the subject of tuning and intonation, will have recognized that it’s all about compromise, no matter what your guitar or tuner cost.

Not sure about accuracy but I find the tuner to be too jumpy. It is very hard to keep it still in the middle. Maybe it's too accurate and therefor that jumpy? I never use the roller ball tuner. I don't really know how to handle that (just don't know when it's in tune) and therefor prefer the normal tuner. But it doesn't work as well for me as my Boss TU-2 or my Korg CA tuner.

i use it for small re-tuning when jaming, however when it comes to recording i use the Sonic Research
Model ST-300 Stomp Box Strobe Tuner as it's dead accurate, even for extra low tunes bass,
which btw does not really work well with the axe...

Not sure about accuracy but I find the tuner to be too jumpy. It is very hard to keep it still in the middle. Maybe it's too accurate and therefor that jumpy? I never use the roller ball tuner. I don't really know how to handle that (just don't know when it's in tune) and therefor prefer the normal tuner. But it doesn't work as well for me as my Boss TU-2 or my Korg CA tuner.

Yes, the tuner is very revealing, but if everything is ok with your signal chain and your guitar, the tuner is very stable. If the tuner gets jittery then several things could be wrong, like induced hum, string phasing, old strings, bad strings, nut slots, pickup(s) to close to strings. Mostly noticeable and susceptible, the G or B strings.

I have this jumpy thing with all my guitars and basses. Don't have that problem with other tuners.

Like others, I find the tuner to be erratic/jumpy, and like Bodde, I don't have that problem with other tuners. It's perfectly fine for quick tuneups between songs, but the Turbo Tuner is THE best tuner. It's way cheaper than Peterson and more accurate. Is very stable and visible.

Solid and stable. Really like the tuner and love the 8ball..
Since I got the AX my Peterson strobe has sat on the shelf.

Back
Top Bottom