AX4 ??

RalphNYC

Inspired
Is anyone with me in thinking that an AX4 that's half the size of the AX8 with an attached expression pedal (basically the same size as say a Zoom G3X) with like 10 amp models and 4 simultaneous fx for around 450 bucks would sell like hot cakes and fit the needs of most gigging musicians on a budget who want ultra high quality sound, product support, and portability? I have no idea if this is possible, but even at 600 bucks I'd prefer it over the AX8 which delivers quite a bit more than I need for gigging and rehearsing. (Not saying I don't want the AX8, in fact I'm drooling over it).

I'd pay the full $1400 just for the half the size alone with the same functionality outside of losing a few switches and without the expression pedal. These floor units have gotten WAY too big. The Helix is like a MONSTER. AX8 a bit better but still too big and heavy for my taste, although I'm buying it. :)

Is anyone with me in thinking that an AX4 that's half the size of the AX8 with an attached expression pedal (basically the same size as say a Zoom G3X) with like 10 amp models and 4 simultaneous fx for around 450 bucks would sell like hot cakes and fit the needs of most gigging musicians on a budget who want ultra high quality sound, product support, and portability? I have no idea if this is possible, but even at 600 bucks I'd prefer it over the AX8 which delivers quite a bit more than I need for gigging and rehearsing. (Not saying I don't want the AX8, in fact I'm drooling over it).

The Atomic AmpliFIRE is my current rig ( until the AX8 gets released ). It's half the size , $600 , and can sound great.
I think the AX8 is going to be the perfect pedal just the way it is !

Wouldn't want anything with fewer switches. I have a (battery powered) Zoom G3 that I use for acoustic gigs where finding AC hookup is like winning the lottery. It works and doesn't sound too bad, but three switches is a bad joke.

Ah man... I was just wishing that the AX8 had one more Switch, I'm gonna have to add an external tap tempo to get all the live functionality I need (want).... so that's a huge no on the small size... I tried the G3 and G5 and both had way limiting footswitch functionality for me. (I could get by, but it was far from ideal.)

Plus, FAS has said that it takes the processing power of an entire chip to run an amp model. Reducing the number of amps is irrelevant. If you want FX it's still going to need two chips. Not going to happen at $450...

I took a long hard look at Amplifire when it came out. The number of switches was the biggest downfall for me. It looks like would work really well as a compliment to the FX8 or for adding amp modeling to an existing pedal board setup, but as a stand-alone unit it was totally inadequate for my needs.

Last edited:
Ah man... I was just wishing that the AX8 had one more Switch, I'm gonna have to add an external tap tempo to get all the live functionality I need (want).... so that's a huge no on the small size... I tried the G3 and G5 and both had way limiting footswitch functionality for me. (I could get by, but it was far from ideal.)

Assuming the AX8 works similarly to the FX8, the F3 button on the AX8 will serve double duty as a tap-tempo or hold down the button to access the tuner.

C'mon, if your going that low lets make it $399.95 free shipping! 5 amps, no grid, no midi, no big screen, 6 foot switches, no expression pedal, only 4 dedicated knobs, no TRS switching, 1 mono FX loop, no SPDiF, no looper.

a hybrid rack/pedalboard like the G-System would be interesting. A single rack space FX8 would be cool too.

I didn't like the sound of the Amplifire, I'm more into gritty cleans with varying amounts of dirt and I found that box's sound kind of brittle and I returned it.

There are definitely sounds I didn't like. All the TAF presets that came on mine were junk. The Marshall sounds are the ones I use in it , and they sound great. I'm not saying it's the answer to my prayers. I think it'll be a good backup rig.
I can use the volume knob on my evh striped to go from crystal clean to balls out grit with my Amplifire. That's why i can get away with one amp sound to cover so much ground.
Can't wait for the AX8 !!

To me they wasted too much space, more switches would have been easy to accomodate with out expanding the form factor.
This is mine. I'd like to know how you would rebuild this to fit anything else.
IMG_20151111_162212.jpg

The MIDI controller I'll add to it for those extra switches is about the same size. BJ devices TB-5
1826488571.jpg

This is mine. I'd like to know how you would rebuild this to fit anything else.
IMG_20151111_162212.jpg

The MIDI controller I'll add to it for those extra switches is about the same size. BJ devices TB-5
1826488571.jpg

This was the one I used also. Great and very sturdy for a very competitive price, it also houses two relay switches. Then I moved on to the disaster area dpc-5. That is by far the smallest midi and relay switcher I came across, it has five switches in one row and a sixth one for changing modes and stuff: It handles 6 presets fine. the dpc-5 is also a great peace of gear and a step up from the bj tb-5, especially the switches...

If the amplifier had 4 or even better 5 switches I'd be gigging with one now, seems a very odd choice to limit it to 3 switches so anyone want to gig with it probably needs n extra midi board.
Nope. I gig with it now and it works just fine as is. :D
Course, I use it like a single channel amp...a Dumble or Rumble to be exact.
That and a couple fx are all this guitar player needs...for now...:p
Willing to have my mind changed with an AX8...bring on the invite!

Last edited:
I vote for an FX1 instead - all the Fractal effect algorithms (no amp/cab modeling), 1 block at a time, true bypass optimizations from the FX8.

Basically a much sexier H9 or a much, much sexier M5.

Back
Top Bottom