Axe FX II and Kemper Profiler (Yes, another one...please read!)

mbrown3

Inspired
I’m looking into checking out either the Axe-FX II or the Kemper KPA. I know there have been ad nauseum threads about these two products, and in many ways they aren’t even designed to do exactly the same thing. But most of those threads are not recent, and so don’t take into account the most recent features, firmware, accessories, and so forth. And they are my two finalists for what I’m looking for (which is, primarily, a portable solution containing the gist of most of my usable amp tones). So I need some advice.

Here’s what I’m NOT looking for: flaming, either direction. I believe both products are awesome and do what they are supposed to very well. I’m not looking for what’s wrong with either product, I’m more looking for which one may fit MY needs better.

So, a bit about me and my needs: I’m a simple player. I mostly use a couple of effects at any given time, and tend to rotate between 2-3 basic amp tones (clean, crunch, “searing lead”). I want those tones to be as amazing as possible, then I’ll add delay or compression or whatever. I’m a semi-professional player...that is, I make part of my income from music. I do occasional session work (mostly for local or regional acts) and I play in two regular gigging bands, an average of 6-8 times a month. My current amps: Egnater MOD50 with most of the modules and an Egnater oversized 112 cab, and a Mesa Boogie Road King with 212 Road King cab. Those are my main ones (I also have an Egnater Rebel 30 I use for rehearsal). Capturing the ranges of sounds from those two amps (which are many) is crucial.

Also of note is the fact that I’m basing most of my thoughts (below) on either hard data, or on AVAILABLE sound clips. I know these are not representative...I absolutely know that. However, you can get a semi-close idea of what something can do by audio/video clips. Most of the clean tones I’ve heard clips for are super affected, for some reason. There are VERY few clips that showcase simple, pure clean tone, for either device. So I have to take a bit of a guess with a few things like that.

Otherwise, here are my thoughts so far (keep in mind, these are not intended to be definitive statements of fact; they are simply my impressions based on what I’m looking for):

Overall Tone (amp-likeness): I believe this is a wash. I think each device sounds incredible, and can get very close to the tone of real tube amps.

Overdriven tone: I think the advantage here goes to the Axe-FX, based on the clips that I’ve heard.

Clean tone: I think the advantage here goes to the Kemper, again based on the clips that I’ve heard. Hard to find “pure” clean tones for either device though.

Amp “feel”: From what I’ve read, the advantage here goes to the Kemper, with numerous reviewers noting that the Kemper responds a bit more like a tube amp does. But this is fairly subjective, so what feels “right” to one person may be the opposite for another.

Flexibility: I believe it’s factual (not just opinion) to say that the Axe-FX is more flexible. It does more. In many ways this is a plus, as it makes the Axe-FX more future-proof. But in many ways it’s also a negative, as it’s way overkill for what I need. Simple = better for me, usually. So ultimately this is a wash for me.

Pedals: I like the MCF-101 better than the Kemper Remote. I think it looks more useful and more professional, and I FAR prefer the LEDs of the MCF-101. Being able to easily see settings in a semi-dark room (which is harder than in a completely dark room) is crucial, and it seems like the MCF-101 is better in this regard. I like the red/green/off scheme better than the multiple separate LEDs too. However, the Kemper Remote is smaller, and as far as I’m concerned the smaller the footprint, the better. Also, the MCF-101 is $150 more than the Remote. I also dislike that the tap tempo button on the MCF-101 is on the top. I’m sure I can manually set it to one of the first-row buttons, but that’s where it should be out of the box. So this ultimately ends up a wash too.

Support: I believe both companies have excellent customer service. However, I believe the Axe-FX gets more (and more regular) updates in terms of software and features. Plus they are in the US rather than overseas. However, the crazy shipping costs to buy the unit initially make me wary of having to send it in for any warranty support, as I don’t want to shell out nearly $80 (each way) each time I need support (I know this might be covered while under warranty, but the Axe-FX has a much shorter warranty than the Kemper as well...1 year vs. 3 years for the Kemper). So, another wash.

Software: I believe the Axe-FX has the edge here. But this isn’t a huge deal for me. I enjoy playing with it, but once I get things dialed in, it’s rare for me to change it up much.

Price: including the pedal for either, the Kemper ends up being about $500 cheaper. This isn’t the biggest deal in the world, but it certainly does matter. Also, the Kemper has free shipping, whereas the Axe-FX is like $80. It may seem silly, but that bothers me. The Axe-FX is already more expensive, then the crazy shipping costs on top of it. And they are US based...the Kemper has to (ultimately) cross an ocean!

Misc: the Kemper takes up 3 rack spaces. The Axe-FX (which does more) takes up 2, I believe. Slight advantage to the Axe-FX, but this is fairly minor. The Kemper takes a long time to boot up, whereas the Axe-FX is super quick. But I’ve read a lot of problems with folks upgrading the software in the Axe-FX and have to send away for something to get it up and running again.

At this point, I’m leaning toward the Kemper because 1. Less expensive (especially re: shipping), 2. Simpler, which may be better for what I need, and 3. More “amp-like feel” (though this is the one that may be the most subjective AND I have the most limited knowledge about). However, the biggest issue for me is tone. It trumps everything else. Clean tones are important for me, and I can’t get a good read on clean tones from either amp because of the lack of clips, and the fact that both seem more focused on high gain tones. Also, having it feel like a real tube amp is crucial, and the limited knowledge I have so far is that the Kemper has the SLIGHT edge with this. The greater flexibility of the Axe-FX and the fact that it’s more future proof is appealing, but ultimately I fear that the majority of its fancy features would go to waste. I enjoy playing around with that kind of thing, but in the end I’m a simple guy and end up going back to a few simple tones and then use effects to taste.

So (PLEASE without flaming or inciting fanboy arguments or bashing of your non-preferred product), what say you? What do you think would work better for my needs? Again, I’m not asking which you think is a better product for whatever reason, or which works better for you...which do you think would suit my needs better? PLEASE NOTE that I am looking for input from folks who preferably have owned both, or at the very least have had the opportunity to use each in real-world situations (i.e., not just, "I tried my buddy's once and it [sucked/rocked]"). Thanks.

Sorry for the long post, but thanks for any insight. And thanks for mature, thoughtful answers rather than flame wars.

Last edited:
The feel with V18 software is better than the Kemper IMO (I have two of them). A year or so ago the Kemper felt slightly better. But the Axe-Fx caught up and surpassed it. But I'm biased so my opinion should be taken with a grain of salt.

Not sure where you got $80 for shipping costs. Ground shipping is typically around $30.

You seem to have a very firm grasp of what you are looking for, which is fantastic. Are you able to personally spend some time with either unit? I think honestly that is your best bet.

The feel with V18 software is better than the Kemper IMO (I have two of them). A year or so ago the Kemper felt slightly better. But the Axe-Fx caught up and surpassed it. But I'm biased so my opinion should be taken with a grain of salt.

Not sure where you got $80 for shipping costs. Ground shipping is typically around $30.

That's great to hear re: feel. I'll take that into account.

Sorry, I meant shipping including both the FX and the footpedal. When I added them to my cart earlier, it told me $77.

Last edited:
The Kemper is about profiles, so you have to locate ones that work for you and often pay for them.

The Axe is more adjustable so you can make your own so to speak. The Axe also has Tone Match, which is what the Kemper does.

You'll never be sure until you play them, the Axe has a 15 day trial period.

You seem to have a very firm grasp of what you are looking for, which is fantastic. Are you able to personally spend some time with either unit? I think honestly that is your best bet.

Thanks...yeah I've been around the block long enough to know what I want/need...and what I don't. Unfortunately, I don't have the option to try either out. I worked with a studio a couple of years ago that had an Axe-FX, but I've since moved and none of the ones around here have either (that I know of...certainly not the ones I've worked with).

Last edited:
Think about the AxeFX 15 day return policy. You get 15 days to return it-Maybe email FAS CS and find out the exact particulars about this option

Of course, you won't be returning it, but I digress.......................

Seriously, your best bet is to try the AxeFX out yourself with your guitar, etc.

Sorry, posted at the same time as yours.

The Kemper is about profiles, so you have to locate ones that work for you and often pay for them.

The Axe is more adjustable so you can make your own so to speak. The Axe also has Tone Match, which is what the Kemper does.

You'll never be sure until you play them, the Axe has a 15 day trial period.

This is not as big of an issue for me as it might be for some players. For one, I have pretty much all of my bases covered between the Road King (4 channels, including Lonestar clean, and the typical rectifier modes, plus it has both EL34s and 6L6s, so the range of tones is amazing), and the Egnater MOD50, which might be the most versatile tube amp on the market. He has replicated actual circuits from iconic amps. I have the Vox module, the Marshall module, the Fender Twin, Deluxe, and Bassman modules, the Dumble module, the Mesa module, and the one based on Egnater's own iconic amp. Between all of them, quite a range of tones. I also have access to a couple of studios that I've worked with, along with all of their gear. I play in a band with a guy that has a Bogner Ecstasy, too. All that's to say, though the Kemper is all about profiles, between all of those I would barely be able to use all of those tones (simple guy). So that ends up being a wash, because I can do that with both units (and I believe they would both do well in this regard).

Think about the AxeFX 15 day return policy. You get 15 days to return it-Maybe email FAS CS and find out the exact particulars about this option

Of course, you won't be returning it, but I digress.......................

Seriously, your best bet is to try the AxeFX out yourself with your guitar, etc.

Sorry, posted at the same time as yours.

Yeah, that's a good option. But the shipping cost makes me gunshy about this.

There is a saying, Penny smart, pound foolish.

If the shipping cost is seriously a consideration you can't afford either, and you especially can't afford to buy the wrong one, take a depriciation hit and then buy the other.

There is a saying, Penny smart, pound foolish.

If the shipping cost is seriously a consideration you can't afford either, and you especially can't afford to buy the wrong one, take a depriciation hit and then buy the other.

The shipping cost won't make or break it either way...but when you're trying to decide between two otherwise very similar/equal devices, it can push things one way or another. Being able to afford it isn't the issue. It's trying to figure out why one set costs $80 to ship to a closer destination than one that has to cross an ocean but is free. When you add it to the already more-expensive cost of the unit itself, you bet it matters...especially when you consider the option of a trial and then having to pay that much again to get it back to them within 15 days if I don't like it. (Please note I'm not anticipating not liking it; I'm just saying, just in case).

I think you might want to consider use paradigm. For me, it was important that I be able to build my own signal chains. I wanted authentic amp models that I could combine with cabs/mics at will and route as I pleased. Kemper is an entirely different paradigm, each preset is a full amp tone signal chain at a set operating point.

I considered both when buying but assumed they were largely on par tone-wise and selected Axe primarily for this reason (along with having owned an Ultra prior). I stopped thinking about the Kemper pretty quickly after getting the AF2 (somewhere around FW10-12)... I'm sure they are quality units, though. I love FAS's commitment to never ending improvement/quality.

I would not buy for a minute claims wrt one being significantly better in terms of "feel" or "tone" and other subjective qualities without first hand knowledge, literally everyone has a bias even those who have played and own both, I would only believe a personal double blind test.

The Axe has a MAJOR update in beta, for example, so any comments you have heard do not take that into account (except Cliff's above), too...

Anyway food for thought...

Last edited:

You could just get the Axe to begin with and if you decide it's not to your liking you are only out roughly $35. Should you decide to keep the unit then purchase the MFC-101 later.

Obviously this doesn't give you any time to test the Axe and MFC together but if that possibility of spending an additional $35 truly bothers you then in my humble opinion you should spend those valuable two weeks exploring the Axe itself. It will go by fast! I also believe if you end up keeping the Axe that you will find the MFC to be a stellar companion.

Another consideration is finding some local or semi-local people that have one or the other or even both to allow you to visit and demo them. There are a lot of friendly and giving members on this forum that would no doubt enjoy showing off their magic box. Where are you located? You never know. There could be an Axe or Kemper just around the corner from you.

Also, IMO FW18 is much more about the dynamics and feel than overall tone.

Good luck with your quest!

Last edited:
The shipping cost won't make or break it either way...but when you're trying to decide between two otherwise very similar/equal devices, it can push things one way or another. Being able to afford it isn't the issue. It's trying to figure out why one set costs $80 to ship to a closer destination than one that has to cross an ocean but is free. When you add it to the already more-expensive cost of the unit itself, you bet it matters...especially when you consider the option of a trial and then having to pay that much again to get it back to them within 15 days if I don't like it. (Please note I'm not anticipating not liking it; I'm just saying, just in case).

If you buy the Kemper from Guitar Center online you can get free shipping, & if you decide to return it you can return it to your local Guitar Center for your refund & therefore pay no shipping at all.........

I've done this many times with gear from them until I find something I want to keep! Only in America!!! lol

I think you might want to consider use paradigm. For me, it was important that I be able to build my own signal chains. I wanted authentic amp models that I could combine with cabs/mics at will and route as I pleased. Kemper is an entirely different paradigm, each preset is a full amp tone signal chain at a set operating point.

I considered both when buying but assumed they were largely on par tone-wise and selected Axe primarily for this reason (along with having owned an Ultra prior). I stopped thinking about the Kemper pretty quickly after getting the AF2 (somewhere around FW10-12)... I'm sure they are quality units, though. I love FAS's commitment to never ending improvement/quality.

I would not buy for a minute claims wrt one being significantly better in terms of "feel" or "tone" and other subjective qualities without first hand knowledge, literally everyone has a bias even those who have played and own both, I would only believe a personal double blind test.

The Axe has a MAJOR update in beta, for example, so any comments you have heard do not take that into account (except Cliff's above), too...

Anyway food for thought...

Thanks...these are good thoughts. I didn't include this in my notes, but I did think about this a bit. Generally speaking, the only thing I care about in terms of signal chain is overdrive, etc, before preamp, and time-based effects after. I'm fairly sure I can route things that way with both units. But I also considered your point re: the Kemper being more a "single point in time" capture, and that does concern me. Ultimately, the truth is that once I get most amps set, I rarely change their settings. So I could get by with the Kemper in that regard, because it would capture my "ideal" settings for each amp profile. But, I do believe the Axe-FX would be a better option for this...having the ability (even if I never use it) to drastically alter settings is better than not. Thanks, I'll add this to the equation.

Generally I feel that I'll be happy with either unit...initially. I'm just afraid that over time I might get a bit frustrated or start seeing the "frayed edges" (or whatever). Either I'll get frustrated that the Kemper doesn't have more options than it does, or I'll get frustrated that 70% of the features on the Axe-FX never get used, or...you get the idea. So I want to make the most informed decision possible, and the truth is that at this point the Axe-FX appeals to me based on features, but I'm more of a simple guy and in that sense I have a feeling it might end up being overkill. I went through a phase years ago where I had a massive pedal board and scrapped all but two pedals (that I still own)...not because my rig didn't sound good but because getting rid of it allowed me to stop fiddling and focus on playing. I don't want to invest in the Axe-FX (or the Kemper either, for that matter) and then end up getting to that same point.

You could just get the Axe to begin with and if you decide it's not to your liking you are only out roughly $35. Should you decide to keep the unit then purchase the MFC-101 later.

Obviously this doesn't give you any time to test the Axe and MFC together but if that possibility of spending an additional $35 truly bothers you then in my humble opinion you should spend those valuable two weeks exploring the Axe itself. It will go by fast! I also believe if you end up keeping the Axe that you will find the MFC to be a stellar companion.

Another consideration is finding some local or semi-local people that have one or the other or even both to allow you to visit and demo them. There are a lot of friendly and giving members on this forum that would no doubt enjoy showing off their magic box. Where are you located? You never know. There could be an Axe or Kemper just around the corner from you.

Also, IMO FW18 is much more about the dynamics and feel than overall tone.

Good luck with your quest!

Thanks, that's a good idea. But the shipping cost isn't so much of an issue on its own...it's more of an annoyance when compared to the Kemper (which, of course, is the unit I'm also considering). It's one more factor...not the most important, or even important. But it's a factor that goes into the mix with everything else.

I'm in the Columbus area, so if there IS anyone local, I'd be glad to invade your home and check out your gear. :)

If you already are suggesting that maybe down the line you might get frustrated with the Kemper possibly not having enough features, I think that is a major flag. I can't see really being upset the Axe has things you might never use.. because in the back of your mind you really could if you so chose to.

Calling all Buckeyes!!!!! Surely there are some of you in the Columbus area that would be willing to show off your Axe?

At least that's how we roll in Trojan land! :) *running*

Back
Top Bottom