Reality Check: AXEII+FX8 = drool

Randy4Guitars

Power User
Is anyone thinking about getting an FX8 to run pre and post AXE?

With the new reverb models and UR cabs I'm exceeding 95% with some of my presets and find that I'm having to decide what I can do without. It sure would be nice to be able to push some of those effects off to the FX8 so I can have 2 amp blocks, full stereo UR cabs, HI res reverb, etc. It would be especially cool if the FX8 and AXE could link presets, and it all worked with the mfc. Don't know if that's possible, but it doesn't look like it.

I'm sitting here with GAS and was picking up the new cab paks, and I keep looking at the XL / MFC-3 deal, thinking it's time to upgrade my Mk1 Axe and MFC. But that's not really going to get me much, besides a slightly upgraded MFC, more CPU use, and the ability to use presets created on the XL which I rarely do.

I don't really need to have the FX8, but I have been on a diet on some of my presets because of CPU use. Seems like a cool thing, to be able to add all those extra effects blocks. You could go basically 4cm into the AXE: guitar into the FX8, then into AXE front panel, then send to the FX8 post amp/cab then back into AXE and out to the world. In fact, if the FX8 could switch presets in the AXE, you really wouldn't need the MFC. And it's got a 4 minute looper. That's a 4 minute, STEREO looper, 8 minutes in mono.

I know it would be great to have the FX8 and AXE communicate in the digital realm, but it doesn't look like it has that capability now.

Any thoughts on the AXE2 with an FX8, or am I living in fantasyland?

I am seriuosly considering FX8 to go with my Axe fx II mk1. I also have LF mini controller, so it could control both the Axe and FX8 if needed.

I would also like to know if axe and fx8 could work together smoothly.

Wow! Really? Buy some additional Preamp tubes for your tube amp and put in the fx loop.

LOL. I know it's overkill, but it's a drag to hear that CPU limit start clipping. Most of my presets are ok, but I'm starting to need more delays and shimmer stuff. Don't you notice the jump in CPU usage with the new FW?

I am seriuosly considering FX8 to go with my Axe fx II mk1. I also have LF mini controller, so it could control both the Axe and FX8 if needed.

I would also like to know if axe and fx8 could work together smoothly.

I hadn't really thought about it seriously until the last week or two. It's tempting, especially with year end gas.

I'm sure FAS considered mating the two, but a USB port is the only visible digital link on the FX8. I guess the FAS DAD converters are good enough to handle it though.

don't be mad with me but after reading this post I got thinking. I have a hd 500x collecting dust since axe cut it out(you probably see were I am going)I love my axe but the looper lacks. I connected the pod in line to play with the looper, then discovered the pod will send midi! a little limited but can switch scene up down and patch up down if not in looper mode. Hoping to pick scene and patches but haven't figured that out. I'm not real great at midi programing but fcb or mfc should control both.

Very basic MIDI controller might work for most guys. If it can switch presets, handle expression pedals, change scenes and on/off some effects, that might be enough. Do you know if it's much work to get it to do these things with the AXE?

Can the fx8 adequately replace the mfc? If so I'd consider it.

We know that there’s no FASlink or similar and we know it’s primary use is with 4cm with a regular amp. Take your MFC and don’t use it in Axe Mode (use normal midi mode) and limit yourself to 8 IA’s and I think you’ll get very close to what the Fx8 can do and control the Axe Fx, or any other midi device.

Is anyone thinking about getting an FX8 to run pre and post AXE?

With the new reverb models and UR cabs I'm exceeding 95% with some of my presets and find that I'm having to decide what I can do without. It sure would be nice to be able to push some of those effects off to the FX8 so I can have 2 amp blocks, full stereo UR cabs, HI res reverb, etc. It would be especially cool if the FX8 and AXE could link presets, and it all worked with the mfc. Don't know if that's possible, but it doesn't look like it.

I'm sitting here with GAS and was picking up the new cab paks, and I keep looking at the XL / MFC-3 deal, thinking it's time to upgrade my Mk1 Axe and MFC. But that's not really going to get me much, besides a slightly upgraded MFC, more CPU use, and the ability to use presets created on the XL which I rarely do.

I don't really need to have the FX8, but I have been on a diet on some of my presets because of CPU use. Seems like a cool thing, to be able to add all those extra effects blocks. You could go basically 4cm into the AXE: guitar into the FX8, then into AXE front panel, then send to the FX8 post amp/cab then back into AXE and out to the world. In fact, if the FX8 could switch presets in the AXE, you really wouldn't need the MFC. And it's got a 4 minute looper. That's a 4 minute, STEREO looper, 8 minutes in mono.

I know it would be great to have the FX8 and AXE communicate in the digital realm, but it doesn't look like it has that capability now.

Any thoughts on the AXE2 with an FX8, or am I living in fantasyland?

The biggest problem to me running anything after the Axe2 is that it looses Output 2 and I use Output 2 for my own monitor and leave Output 1 for FoH. I just think it’s super handy to have my own level mix with the Output 2 knob on the front panel.

But since primarily drives are so CPU hungry, moving drives and and all other front of amp blocks out of the Axe2 and onto the floor would free up quite a bit of CPU so that you can add plenty of delays and highres reverbs in the Axe2 with less CPU worry so might still be worth considering.

I want to run this in the FXL of the XL to free up CPU. It just seems like it is getting away from one of the awesome parts of the Axe-FX and that is being able to make a patch with all the goodies in it and step on one switch to activate it and then step through scenes. I understand that it wasn't made for the AXE but I wish it was. I already have the MFC 101 mark 3 and love the simplicity and control. The Fractal GAS machine is killing me.

For those on a budget here's a suggestion. I use my TC electronics g-major 2 in conjunction with my AxeFx XL. My chain goes guitar, wireless, axefx, axefx output 2 to g-major 2, output 1 axefx to FOH. I use out 2 into the effects return of my Mesas into my cabs. The g-major is rarely used, but when I make a heavy cpu patch, I'll drop some of the effects like chorus or delay and create those effects on the g-major. They all play nicely via midi and even tho the tc unit may not be as extensive as my FAS, at live levels who can really tell the difference with a chorus, delay, or reverb. I also have an eq setting for that slight mid boost on my TC for those times when I just need a little push playing live. Anyway, it works for me.

For those on a budget here's a suggestion. I use my TC electronics g-major 2 in conjunction with my AxeFx XL. My chain goes guitar, wireless, axefx, axefx output 2 to g-major 2, output 1 axefx to FOH. I use out 2 into the effects return of my Mesas into my cabs. The g-major is rarely used, but when I make a heavy cpu patch, I'll drop some of the effects like chorus or delay and create those effects on the g-major. They all play nicely via midi and even tho the tc unit may not be as extensive as my FAS, at live levels who can really tell the difference with a chorus, delay, or reverb. I also have an eq setting for that slight mid boost on my TC for those times when I just need a little push playing live. Anyway, it works for me.

I did something similar to this with an Eventide H9. Whenever cpu gets a bit high, I route the signal through the FXL and the H9 does whatever effect I need it to. It sits in the back of the rack connected to the midi out of the axe and I just edit it with my ipad/iphone. $400, job done. I do lose the second output for FOH send but I'm trying to find a nice clean little splitter with 2 volume knobs that can help with that.

Pre the Axe I used to run a minibar size rack loaded with preamps and multi FX, one of the things I hated the most was programing each piece separately and sync between the units.
Thank god for the Axe FX, I rather limit myself with the CPU use than heaving another piece need programing in the chain.

i don't see that it would be too hard to put the gubbins from an fx8 into a 1u rack. i'm hoping that FAS is considering this. i'd buy it right away. i'm seriously considering buying an eventide eclipse to run some fx, as i'm constantly hitting the limit with a lot of my patches. because of the number of people who use the axe fx for fx only, this seems like it might be a wise move for FAS anyway....

Back
Top Bottom