I don't understand the hate for the green screen...

I have zero problems with the green display. It's long been viewed as the easiest color on our eyes.

someone write an ipod touch version app, and duct tape it to the front ;) no worse than leaving that dreaded plastic on there ;)

Just installed AxeEdit on my Win8.1 tablet PC. Works great. I was actually shocked at the precision of using my fingers for adjustment, but selecting stuff was a bit tougher because the GUI is made for mouse usage.

I did try installing USB Network Gate which is a USB port sharing application. Didn't work. I was able to share and connect to the AxeFXII, but unless I used the front panel it would time out and even then I had no control from the editor GUI. I was surprised to see that both ports connected in the options dialog.

So I ordered an adapter to go from micro USB to the big square USB connector on the back of the AxeFXII. Should work pretty well.

In the meantime I am investigating wireless USB device servers/sharing adapters. In theory you can connect any USB device and share it over a network. Wifi is obviously the ideal method here. I found a few out there, but they seem to be a mixed bag and most are storage/printer/scanner centric. This is going to require full duplex communication and I'm not sure if there is anything that will be able to replicate a class 2.0 compliant audio interface over a wireless connection and then have the AxeFXII drivers install correctly. Cost is about the $50-200 range.

A frickin USB to bluetooth solution would be ideal, but I can't seem to find anything that does that. I think that there were some Arduino or Raspberry Pi projects and modules that can do some of these things, but we're talking about code at that point and that's not something I'm interested or capable of doing.

Just installed AxeEdit on my Win8.1 tablet PC. Works great. I was actually shocked at the precision of using my fingers for adjustment, but selecting stuff was a bit tougher because the GUI is made for mouse usage.

I did try installing USB Network Gate which is a USB port sharing application. Didn't work. I was able to share and connect to the AxeFXII, but unless I used the front panel it would time out and even then I had no control from the editor GUI. I was surprised to see that both ports connected in the options dialog.

So I ordered an adapter to go from micro USB to the big square USB connector on the back of the AxeFXII. Should work pretty well.

In the meantime I am investigating wireless USB device servers/sharing adapters. In theory you can connect any USB device and share it over a network. Wifi is obviously the ideal method here. I found a few out there, but they seem to be a mixed bag and most are storage/printer/scanner centric. This is going to require full duplex communication and I'm not sure if there is anything that will be able to replicate a class 2.0 compliant audio interface over a wireless connection and then have the AxeFXII drivers install correctly. Cost is about the $50-200 range.

A frickin USB to bluetooth solution would be ideal, but I can't seem to find anything that does that. I think that there were some Arduino or Raspberry Pi projects and modules that can do some of these things, but we're talking about code at that point and that's not something I'm interested or capable of doing.

I used to control my Yamaha O1V96, wirelessly with a windows Xp tablet. It wasn't touch, but that's just because it was old.
The key was the belkin USB network hub. Tablet connected to wireless router, router connected to USB network hub, mixer plugged into USB network hub.....sounds like a lot, but it was simple and worked flawlessly.
That USB network hub was the only device I found to make it work.

I still have one of these around. Sasha, let me know if you want the model number.
I remember buying my last one on eBay for somewhere around $30

I used to control my Yamaha O1V96, wirelessly with a windows Xp tablet. It wasn't touch, but that's just because it was old.
The key was the belkin USB network hub. Tablet connected to wireless router, router connected to USB network hub, mixer plugged into USB network hub.....sounds like a lot, but it was simple and worked flawlessly.
That USB network hub was the only device I found to make it work.

I still have one of these around. Sasha, let me know if you want the model number.
I remember buying my last one on eBay for somewhere around $30
Yeah, if you've got the model number that would be great.

It has been an enabling technology for so long. I've never even thought about it is it must not matter to me. I think the expectation for the next generation (or digital products, not necessarily the Axe-FX) is a high-res full color screen with multi-touch capability. You already see this with some digital mixers and keyboard workstations. I think that would be cool. Also support for themes is very cool so people can get the look they like. Digital Performer has themes and thank God because I find the default revolting and don't know if I would use it if I couldn't change the theme although clearly the look of your DAW is much more important the the front panel of a device that sits in your rack.

Good grief… I'm never going to have a screen on *any* piece of outboard gear that comes close to the size and accessibility of the one my laptop already has. Why on earth would I want to increase the price of outboard gear when I already have a perfectly good screen – one that's already paid for – that I can use with all of my equipment?

Exactly. Me personally, i like the green screen. Instead of multicolor/touch i would like some more dedicated knobs and encoders for the most important settings (one knob - one function) ... but i don`t like more than 2HE .... :devilish: Mission impossible ... haha ...

+1

This would get me thinking about upgrading - dedicated knobs for the key amp params that work whatever screen you're on, ideally drive, bass, mid, treble, presence, level. Maybe a toggle switch to go between amp 1 and 2. Colour screen - I wouldn't bother.

Dunno where the buggers would fit though!

The solution with USB and Axe-Edit and pda could be a solution but MFC lags when Axe-Edit is running.
I'm using frontpanel most of the time but some actions I prefer axe-edit for faster editing.

I'd just like to chime in and say how impressively dumb this whole discussion is.

The current green screen is completely fine. Adding a higher res/color display would do literally nothing for the unit but increase build costs. It would add no functionality to the device. On the contrary, it would very likely only reduce durability, as whatever fancy color screen you could add would likely be a lot more fragile and have a shorter lifespan.

The green screens are great. They clearly convey all relevant info and no color screen of the same size would be any more informative. If anything, it would be more cluttered and hard to read. If you want anything else, use Axe-Edit or the tablet controller program already available right now.

I say this as a display whore who is currently considering an ultrawide, 34 inch, 3440 x 1440 curved computer monitor... the Axe-Fx's green screen is fine.

Can you imagine if you could connecy let say, the Axe III via Bluetooth wirelessly to the MIssion Engineering Gemini II ???? Bluetooth +1 App+1

Back
Top Bottom