Recommendation an electric guitar string brand for recording a Prog/Metal Album ?

Hyper Planet

Power User
Hey fellers, I'm looking for an string which have a good consistency during the recording in terms of clarity, tone, buttery touch under fingers ;), I want to have your recommendation about this strings brands or any other brands, if you had a good experience which I mentioned bellow , which one of them you prefer for recording a whole prog/metal album.

1- Ernieball, M-Steel.
2- GHS, Big Core Nickel Rockers or Coated Boomers.
3- DR, K3 Black Beauties Coated, Red Devils, Cool Blue, Silver Stars, or Drop Down Tuning.
4- Clear Tone, Heavy Set.
5- Elixir, Anti-Rust Nanoweb Coated.

Kindest regards;

As someone with very acidic sweat, I prefer Elixirs - they sound and feel consistant throughout their life meaning that your tone doesn't dull the more takes you do...

Its annoying when you've done a ton of tracking, for the stuff you laid down first to sound brighter than the stuff you tracked last.

I like the clarity and rich dynamic of that 'new string' sound so Elixirs definitely work for me - however those who prefer the duller sound of worn strings will be dissapointed.

I use Elixir all the time and recorded with them a metal album. Like the post above, i didn't had any trouble with consistency, and really like the feel and sound :) Love them. Another advantage is that they stay buttery smooth for a long time.

Using Elixer NanoWeb for years, the high b and e strings are NOT coated.

I just bought a ESP E-II M-II and it came with Cleartone 46-9 and I didn't like them at all. They are very brittle and clanky sounding.

The video, while a neat experiment tells us nothing except that salt and water is corrosive. Even using coated strings if you take a minute to wipe down your guitar after playing this kind of corrosion will never happen.

Reactions: Rex
I've never liked coated strings of any brand, but I try to make a point of washing my hands before I start to play and I wipe the strings down with Fast Fret when I'm done. Works for me and I get decent life out of regular Ernie Ball or D'addario strings.

I've never liked coated strings of any brand, but I try to make a point of washing my hands before I start to play and I wipe the strings down with Fast Fret when I'm done. Works for me and I get decent life out of regular Ernie Ball or D'addario strings.

I'm doing some of your tips every single day in my home studio condition as well, but during the studio recording session, it's a little bit different to me, in the studio you cant wash your hands every 30 minutes, it's takes time of your studio and also money, also get away your mind and hands feel from the recording mode, you know what I mean, especially when you're recording some complex and hard parts.
So I posted this thread in order to get your inputs during a Prog/metal recording in particular, anyhow thank you again for your tips !

I've never tried Elixir strings before !, you know dunno why but, to me at first sight they weren't attractive @all, regarding to what you fellers said here, I think I should go for them with the purpose of dissecting them !

Elixir, Anti-Rust Nanoweb Coated, for as long as I can remember
I get them 10 or 12 at a time from juststrings.com for better pricing

My EBMM JP6 sounds HUGE with a new set of Ernie Ball Cobalts 10-46. I find with the pups on this guitar, the strings just really sing. The one downside is they seem to wear out rather quickly.

I've never tried Elixir strings before !, you know dunno why but, to me at first sight they weren't attractive @all, regarding to what you fellers said here, I think I should go for them with the purpose of dissecting them !

Yeah just try them out, nothing to loose :p By the way, I love the elixir on my practice guitar at home, where I really don't want to change the strings frequently. It totally makes a lot of sense and I am always blown away by the fact that they feel/sound like almost new, even after 3 months of intensive playing. Can't watch the video at the moment, but will do when I get home :encouragement:

Yeah just try them out, nothing to loose :p By the way, I love the elixir on my practice guitar at home, where I really don't want to change the strings frequently. It totally makes a lot of sense and I am always blown away by the fact that they feel/sound like almost new, even after 3 months of intensive playing. Can't watch the video at the moment, but will do when I get home :encouragement:

I have just one guitar and it hasn't pickup till I receive my BNK JuggerNOTS, So I have to wait for my these :devilish: and new String as well :angel:

10520542_351842204964364_8256693129810263787_o.jpg

I use the ones sealed for freshness, or at least less exposure to the elements before I get a chance to use them. Ernie Ball.

Ernie Ball Stainless Steel. They last a long time, but you need to be careful if you have nickel frets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Used super slinkys for years and then switched to elixir nanowebs. I recently tried the M-steels and absoultely hated them. Very gritty feeling for lack of a better term. Lots of excess string noise due to what seems to be a coarser texture. Going back to nanowebs.

Seemingly people who are using Elixir Strings are over taking from the other Brands, I've personally thought that ClearTone get more attention and positive comments in compare to others !!!

Back
Top Bottom