neck pick up issues with axe fx / is it just me?!?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

unFILTERed

Power User
both with my framus diablo pro and guild starfire iv i cant use my neck pick ups (humbuckers)
Axe enhences the pick up difference more than traditional amp and somehow with neck pick ups i end up having too much low end. If i dial less bass or add lowcut than i end up loosing my bridge pick up sound...

Any one having the same issue? Any ideas, suggestions....if i can get in my studio today i will upload some stuff to show whats going on.

Note: same for both FRFR and traditonal cab and any amp sim (fenders, vox, marshalls)

My neck pups are only good for cleans. I think they require a different setup than the bridge ones since they have more bass. I am too lazy to do that, I just lower the treble from the tone knob on the bridge pup.

It shouldnt be like that....thats not the way it is with an amp.

My neck pups are only good for cleans. I think they require a different setup than the bridge ones since they have more bass. I am too lazy to do that, I just lower the treble from the tone knob on the bridge pup.

I struggle with this as well… but it's nothing new really. It's the reason guys like EVH used just one pickup.. hard to get them to balance. Getting the pickups set up just right helps, as well as picking the right IR. But I still find this hard to get right on the Axe quite often..

It is possibile ...
I have very different guitar and having this problem with traditional amp...

With my triple rectifier my Gibson Les Paul sound just gorgeous as my G&L Deluxe but in different way and of course harmonic content
Without tweaking I honestly can't say the same for my 2 high-output pick-up equipped guitars ... Both my Ernie Ball JP7 and Carvin DC800 just sound not good ... I think is the price to pay having so much choice .

Honestly I think it's important to stay consistent trough my live rig ( analog anyway ) and just going only with Gibson and G&L ( Hi-gain stuff to crunch stuff )

I'm thinking to just make presets suited for any guitar ...

I think the helpful GLOBAL feature helps to just stay consistent on our tweaking

And I have to say , jumping in the rabbit hole is amusing , but in a semi to pro situation you need to make a choice and go for maximum 4/6 amps and work with this ...
Tweaking is funny and amusing if enhance the performance and inspiration...

Playing guitar is just better!

I had the same issue with my mini recto before, I also have it now with AF2, not more or not less as far as I remember.
I use EMG 89XR neck, 81TWX bridge (becomes more apparent when both pickups are coil tapped since 81TW is extremely thin, or shortly it sucks when coil tapped).

First I do find the AxeFx accentuates the differences in pickup positions. For what I do, I really think it's an advantage. It allows for more tonal options than with conventional rigs.

I find most Strats to have the same issue you describe with real amps.

What I recommend is, dial in your tone louder and brighter than you want. Then use the guitar's volume and tone controls to dial in each pickup to the sweet spot. The extra treble let's you make the neck pickup brighter and roll off the tone of the bridge pickup so it's not too bright.

Also, the so called "50's wiring" will revive your neck pickup IMO. It basically rewires the relationship of the tone and volume pots in a way that brings extra clarity. The downside is the tone controls work a little differently that before. You can Google up 50's wiring and read all the scoop.

Some amps(not many) I have that problem with, and it's me trying to use too much gain. Maybe back off the pickup from the strings

maybe have each preset with a scene for bridge pickup and a scene for neck pickup? i see you've got the mfc so it wouldn't really be that difficult to switch while playing. also what EdgE said, try lowering the pickup a bit or maybe just the pole pieces on the bassier strings

Have you thought about creating a different preset/scene for your neck pickup? Like many here do when they switch between single coil vs. humbucker. You might try is adding an EQ block that will adjust for the tonal differences. Scene 1 EQ off, Scene 2 EQ on. Lastly, adding a mild drive pedal (treble boost, or RC) with the tone adjusted might help.

Didnt have this issue with fender hotrod delux, ac30 tb, roland jc, fender twin....i remember was kind of like this with my triaxis 2:90 rig but not
this much....

I am trying to understand - learn to get away with less-faster dialing....i use 3-4 amp models in axe nowadays.

By the way i already tweak too much and go crazy, i wont start making different presets for each pickup:)

Last edited:
If you're finding it a problem, perhaps try inserting a Multi-band Compressor Block into your chain to bring any excessive lows back into check, but still allow what you consider to be your 'normal' lows to pass

My experience with Les Pauls: Almost every Les Paul sounds muddy on the neck PUP, only very few don't. I tried tons of PUPs in my Tokais (1981 LS-120 and 2010 LS-3) and although nuances change the basic muddiness is always there. A friend has three great Gibsons (1970, 1980, ?) and the same with these. I played a real 1960 and it was ok, but not great.
I have a Tandler Beauty (German luthier, Les Paul model) and it sounds fantastic in all positions, like a fat Tele (like all REALLY good Pauls). He's got the right wood and the perfect construction.
Try 100 Custom Shop Gibsons and you may find 1.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom