Wish Wish List: New Amps

I thought that amp was kind of a Vox/ Fender hybrid w 6v6s?
No. The Imperial is Fender-based, more like a Blackface/Tweed/Bassman combo, where the rhythm channel has the Blackface vibe, and the lead channel can run the gamut from crunch, like a pushed Blackface, to a thicker Tweed, into almost JTM-45 territory with the tone and mid-bite at 10. It’s a completely different amp from the Carr.

Flat-out, the lead sound is a blast, like something FAS would design as a tweaked version of a hotrodded Blackface mixed with a Mesa IIB. I take it to a blues jam and put it on the backline and players come up to ask to use it because it’ll sing, and at full volume is just about 100 dB, so it doesn’t overpower the room. I run the gain at 10, tone and mid-bite at 5-ish depending on the guitar.

Mark Bartel, the designer, now has a new line, Bartel Amplifiers, that are even more impressive.

The Carr Rambler is supposed to be more Fender meets Vox…
  1. "It's basically a Deluxe Reverb preamp with a cathode bias 6L6 power amp and no negative feedback. Sort of a Fender-meets-Vox thing." [126]

Just to pop back into this thread for my annual request-
The 6g6b Bassman would be fantastic to have.
The Swart SST-30 is a grindy beast and an amazing sounding amp- would happily send mine for modeling…
The Carol Ann Satin, and again, would happily send mine in to be modeled.
The CAZ-45 is also a great sounding amp that’s pretty unique.
And I’m the world of overdrives- my favorite is the Blackstone Overdrive- a very unique pedal that sound and responds like nothing else.

No. The Imperial is Fender-based, more like a Blackface/Tweed/Bassman combo, where the rhythm channel has the Blackface vibe, and the lead channel can run the gamut from crunch, like a pushed Blackface, to a thicker Tweed, into almost JTM-45 territory with the tone and mid-bite at 10. It’s a completely different amp from the Carr.

Flat-out, the lead sound is a blast, like something FAS would design as a tweaked version of a hotrodded Blackface mixed with a Mesa IIB. I take it to a blues jam and put it on the backline and players come up to ask to use it because it’ll sing, and at full volume is just about 100 dB, so it doesn’t overpower the room. I run the gain at 10, tone and mid-bite at 5-ish depending on the guitar.

Mark Bartel, the designer, now has a new line, Bartel Amplifiers, that are even more impressive.

The Carr Rambler is supposed to be more Fender meets Vox…
Bartel yes please :)

I really think the Axe is missing the Benson Chimera and/or Vinny Reverb. Those amps sound like nothing else I've heard and have a really beautiful, natural breakup. It would be a great addition to the clean through mid gain amps in the Axe!

Peavey Deuce and a Mesa/Boogie .22 Studio, just to replicate how I sounded in the 80s and early 90s and a Groove Tubes Studio Preamp because I‘m so sad that I sold mine….

What was the tone of the Mace comparable to?
Hard to say or explain. It was really its own thing. Lynyrd Skynyrd played them. I use to put a tube screamer in front with the amp gain down quite a bit. The gain was harsh as you turned it up.

Hard to say or explain. It was really its own thing. Lynyrd Skynyrd played them. I use to put a tube screamer in front with the amp gain down quite a bit. The gain was harsh as you turned it up.
Wasn’t it a solid state preamp and just a massive power section… like Triple Rec number of power tubes?

Wasn’t it a solid state preamp and just a massive power section… like Triple Rec number of power tubes?
Exactly. No preamp tubes. Powerful, noisy and hard to tame. Man I’m telling you that amp is LOUD a/f! Quick story. Back in the late 80’s I was invited to jam with this drummer looking to form a band. He had this tiny room he rented in some back corner of a warehouse. The only place I could place the amp was directly beside him. I thoroughly warned him “this might get loud”. He said he didn’t care. Not a minute into playing some Black Sabbath tune (that I can’t think of at the moment) he literally drop his sticks and ran out the door holding his ear. I just thought he was joking. Fast forward about 20 years later I bump into him at a gig and the first thing he says to me is “Hey I remember you! You’re that dude that destroyed my ear”! Apparently I really did damage his hearing. That’s why I made the comment about a pipe bomb, The amp is violently loud if not used properly.

Back
Top Bottom