Violin patch (+ Ensemble feature!)

how do i get the volume working after ive imported the patch to the axe fx and ive saved it as a preset and yet no sound still?
im new to this any help would be great

there are two external controllers used in this patch. external 1 is attached to the volume block and external 3 is attached to various parameters to engage the "ensemble" feature. to get sound, detach external 1 from the volume block. to turn on the ensemble feature, you can go to I/O > Midi on the front panel, scroll down a bit and change the default value for ext3 from zero to 100%

don't forget to load the user cab as well, or you still wont get any sound. there is an ultrares version of the guitarbody ir on the forum somewhere, btw

Hello. I'm trying to get this patch working, but it sounds nothing like a violin. When I engage the Synth, it sounds like an Oboe.
There's also way too much delay. Right now I have the Synth bypassed, and what I'm getting is a clean guitar with one echo/delay.
My key is set to A Aeolian for both pitch shifters. The cab is set to #9 gtrbody. I can get rid of the echo by bypassing the
pitch shifters and delay, but I don't think they're supposed to be bypassed.

Can somebody help me out here? I love that violin sound, but, as with all the downloaded patches, it seems I need to do much tweaking in order to get the intended sound.

Thanks alot for your help.

Last edited:
simeon, was that post meant for me? If so, I don't understand. I have the violin patch loaded. Also, you said
the volume block had t be tied to EXT 1. Does that mean I have to assign my expression pedal to the volume block?
Right now, I have the Vol/Pan block set to Ext 1, and it's kind of playing havoc when I press my expression pedal, like
switching between engaged and bypass with each foot press. Sorry for sounding so stupid.

Whoops! Wait a minute. I'm reading post #162 now. I'll see what that does.

Back. Ok, I switched External 3 to 100%. Everything including the Synth is engaged. No matter what note I hit, the
Synth seems to produce no change in pitch. When I bypass the Synth, I get proper note output, but it all sounds
like something you hear on a xylophone. Should I load Yek's ultra rez Acoustic body IR or keep the gtrbody one?
I'll keep tweaking while I await your or somebody else's reply. Thanks.

Last edited:
turn ext 3 back to 0 to bypass the pitch shifter and the extra delay

see how it sounds. let me know.

you need the synth on, because that's the tone generator in the patch

OK. Thanks, buddy. The two pitch shifters and the delay are bypassed. Due to my
tweaking, the volume/pan block is now controlled by my expression pedal in an on/off state it seems.
The synth is on and I can distinguish notes a bit. It's hard to describe the sound I'm getting
out of the synth, kind of percussive and ghostly sounding and suppressed. I have all three synth voices on and using
sine waves.

Thanks for your help. It's pretty unbelievable how complex this unit is to operate.

something's messed up, because the synth should only be using two voices, one triangle and one sawtooth. sounds like the patch is corrupted

I used the Bot to download the patch onto Preset #383. I guess I'll delete it and try again, although this will be my third
d/l and install for this patch. I'll get back to you in a few minutes.

OK, I'm back. Looks like it's working for Reilly. Wonderful.
Anyway, I reinstalled the patch. Voice 1 has a triangle wave, Voise 2 is sawtooth, and Voice 3 is off.
Both pitch blocks and the delay block are set to External #3. Track is pitch + envelope.

The sound I'm getting is something like a deep moog with reverb and delay, with the moog sounding much like a Gothic
church organ. I await your reply. Thanks, pal.

Last edited:
ok, just to double check i downloaded the patch from axe change. it works fine for me, except the only problem is it's clipping the output with the ultrares gutrbody ir, because the cab size parameter doesn't work with ultrares cabs. i would use the original hi-res ir available on axe change and then the cab size reduction in the cab block will kill low low frequency resonances and the patch will work fine

Hey Simeon , I just cross with your patch in the forum ... OHHHH MY GOD!!! Literally amazed from this sound
And today I crossed with your YT video on controllers ... It seems to be a Simeon Axe Fx day in my home studio !!
Thank you very much for sharing with us this little gems !!

When I get time I'll make a version of this for v13 that uses the ultrares gtrbody ir and scenes to enable the ensemble feature.

Thanks, Simeon. Sleep tight.Tomorrow's another day with more of our nagging questions.

I'll start off with a couple:

1. I have the tone I want that comes close to your violin, except that my tone isn't dirty or scatchy enough for my
taste in violins. So which block would you suggest I tweak to dirty up the tone? My drive block is set to Hard Fuzz.

2. I assume you're emulating the violin through use of legato and the volume pedal. Which block would I tweak in order
to eliminate my pick attack, and could you fill me in a little on your volume pedal settings? Right now my expression
pedal is controlling the volume swells, but my margin between zero and 100 percent volume is very narrow. Can you give me
some sort of how-to on getting a slower rate of climb on the volume?

I hate to be so annoying, but to be honest, your violin preset is the best preset of any I've heard on this forum. It quite nearly makes
getting the tone of that violin on my guitar worth the price I paid for my FX II (seriously), and certainly makes it worth my while to hang on
to my FX II instead of selling it, which I was considering. I am so stoked about this project that I just might post an mp3 of my own for
comparison with yours. That would be a first for me. So please help me out here, because this is all done out of respect for your skill as a
preset developer.

And if anyone else wants to chime in with suggestions, please do so. Thanks, all.

I'm not answering directly to your question Rick but I suggest you to watch a YouTube Video by our Simeon with some very useful information and tweaking over Controllers ... Is on Simeon Harris channel ... Very very good explained and plenty of suggestion for us controllers "beginners" .

Jump in the rabbit hole

Back
Top Bottom