Questions about the FM9 before purchasing

Who could program the unit?
Step 1 is to try the built-in presets. There are probably a couple that are very close to what you want. There are also countless presets on AxeChange. This forum is a great place to get advice and help.

But for instance if I wanted to use the FM9 as a glorified pedal board it would work fine hooked up to my amp head and cabinet correct? I just connect it using the 4cm into the head? Also I am assuming if I wanted to dabble with the modeled head sounds it would bypass my Friedman head and go straight through the cab would it not? Similar to how synergy works if you run it through an existing amp head. It bypasses the preamp and uses the power amp and cab to produce the sound.
Are you wanting no amp/cab block in the 4CM setup? From the manual for 4CM is below.

If you want to use the amp blocks why not just run into the FX return and use your amp power section?
4CM.png

Ok I never heard women in love.
Really? Wow! Eddie actually had that written with the first album's songs, and because he didn't want his harmonic tapping technique to get out in the wild, he'd turn his back on the audience when playing it.

Can't say I blame him.

Btw, that video is early/mid VH GOLD!! Bookmarked! Thanks!

Most of what you probably want or need is already setup in the stock presets. You just need to take some time and figure out what your layout requires.
Yea see that's what I am trying to avoid. Spending hours and hours to figure it out. I rather just have someone program it and I can tell them exactly what I want. Then from those if I need to modify slightly that is simple to do from what I have seen with the software. So if anyone has any recommendations for someone who knows the unit extremely well and can program it, I would appreciate that.

Are you wanting no amp/cab block in the 4CM setup? From the manual for 4CM is below.

If you want to use the amp blocks why not just run into the FX return and use your amp power section?
View attachment 128456
Yes I saw this. So basically I can use 4cm to do what I want. Also, I can run amp models and bypass my preamp and use the power section of my head.

Step 1 is to try the built-in presets. There are probably a couple that are very close to what you want. There are also countless presets on AxeChange. This forum is a great place to get advice and help.
So I looked on axe change. For example if I search the phase 90 evh pedal for instance, it gives me a whole file of the entire Van Halen sound from a to z.

https://axechange.fractalaudio.com/detail.php?preset=5377

^This for example is everything. Am I able to separate out for instance just the phaser and make it its own preset? How would I do that? Also it looks like there is a way to set it to tune the guitar half a step down? That is pretty nuts then for people who have a Floyd rose. Half the time I just play half a step down because tuning the guitar takes 30 minutes with a Floyd rose. Sounds like I can have my guitar tuned normally and activate something in the FM9 and it'll come out half a step down instead?

So I looked on axe change. For example if I search the phase 90 evh pedal for instance, it gives me a whole file of the entire Van Halen sound from a to z.

https://axechange.fractalaudio.com/detail.php?preset=5377

^This for example is everything. Am I able to separate out for instance just the phaser and make it its own preset? How would I do that? Also it looks like there is a way to set it to tune the guitar half a step down? That is pretty nuts then for people who have a Floyd rose. Half the time I just play half a step down because tuning the guitar takes 30 minutes with a Floyd rose. Sounds like I can have my guitar tuned normally and activate something in the FM9 and it'll come out half a step down instead?
You can download any preset and then copy blocks you like to a preset you're working on. You can also use the pitch block in "Virtual Capo" mode to downtune.

Yea see that's what I am trying to avoid. Spending hours and hours to figure it out. I rather just have someone program it and I can tell them exactly what I want. Then from those if I need to modify slightly that is simple to do from what I have seen with the software. So if anyone has any recommendations for someone who knows the unit extremely well and can program it, I would appreciate that.
If you’re not willing to put the work into the FM9, you may be disappointed in the results because everything you are looking for out of it will not be immediate. It isnt a college course but you need to do a little learning. It isnt really plug and play, unless you are willing to seriously compromise what you can do. You may find yourself spending hours and hours just checking out all the cool effects types in a given block. Most everyone here has done that many times.

Yes there are modeled versions of the Phase 90, the TS, 808 and other classics as well as home grown effects. Generally, for a guitar rig, the effects are stellar and will serve you well. In the long run you’d probably be better off spending the same money on the FM9 over buying these individual pedals. There would be far more points of failure.

Also, I didn’t see if you’ll be gigging/leaving the house with it? If so, you DO have strikingly convincing Friedman models in there to really lighten the load. I used to take out a BE100, SS100 or the Phil X. They have not left the house in about 4 years. The FM9 covers those bases in a fraction of the weight and the footprint. At least consider it if you’re gigging, aside from the fact this WILL be your backup when your tube head inevitably does something bad.

If you’re not willing to put the work into the FM9, you may be disappointed in the results because everything you are looking for out of it will not be immediate. It isnt a college course but you need to do a little learning. It isnt really plug and play, unless you are willing to seriously compromise what you can do. You may find yourself spending hours and hours just checking out all the cool effects types in a given block. Most everyone here has done that many times.

Yes there are modeled versions of the Phase 90, the TS, 808 and other classics as well as home grown effects. Generally, for a guitar rig, the effects are stellar and will serve you well. In the long run you’d probably be better off spending the same money on the FM9 over buying these individual pedals. There would be far more points of failure.

Also, I didn’t see if you’ll be gigging/leaving the house with it? If so, you DO have strikingly convincing Friedman models in there to really lighten the load. I used to take out a BE100, SS100 or the Phil X. They have not left the house in about 4 years. The FM9 covers those bases in a fraction of the weight and the footprint. At least consider it if you’re gigging, aside from the fact this WILL be your backup when your tube head inevitably does something bad.
I will be gigging eventually. I'll get back into it. For now it'll just be a home set up.

Sure, Cooper Carter does it all the time.

But it’s not as simple as saying “make me this sound” because your fingers and brain are very much responsible for getting the sound. You could use your idol’s guitar and equipment and you still wouldn’t sound like them, yet they could take your guitar and equipment and sound like themselves.

There’s no magical “make me sound like them” preset.

Sure, Cooper Carter does it all the time.

But it’s not as simple as saying “make me this sound” because your fingers and brain are very much responsible for getting the sound. You could use your idol’s guitar and equipment and you still wouldn’t sound like them, yet they could take your guitar and equipment and sound like themselves.

There’s no magical “make me sound like them” preset.
Yes, I agree to a degree. It all depends on the person's skill level. I hear this statement all the time, but I believe if the skill level at least for that song, is equal it'll sound the same. I've seen many cases of it. I had a friend when he played eruption or aint talking about love, it was 100% identical sounding to the soundtrack. If my eyes were closed I'd think Van Halen was in the room at that moment.

I sent a message to Cooper Carter. Let me see what he says.

Yes, I agree to a degree. It all depends on the person's skill level. I hear this statement all the time, but I believe if the skill level at least for that song, is equal it'll sound the same. I've seen many cases of it. I had a friend when he played eruption or aint talking about love, it was 100% identical sounding to the soundtrack. If my eyes were closed I'd think Van Halen was in the room at that moment.

I sent a message to Cooper Carter. Let me see what he says.
Yes and no. Your own ear will almost always want something a little different, room to room or just day to day. Learning how to get that is really the key here to independence and not having to pay to make awesome presets. But there are plenty of prefab ones to get your feet wet, too.

Yes and no. Your own ear will almost always want something a little different, room to room or just day to day. Learning how to get that is really the key here to independence and not having to pay to make awesome presets. But there are plenty of prefab ones to get your feet wet, too.

100%. I just would like to start with presets essentially that are for the needs I want. Then as you said play with those and deviate based on mood.

But I'm still wondering if the pickups make THAT big a between humbuckers. Utopia vs I believe they are Seymour Duncans?
According to Glen Fricker they don't make a difference at all. But the Frickster also has a deep disdain for either FAS gear or its users, I haven't quite figured out which. He has some good content on his channel but I think he's gotten a bit shill-y and well he comes off as a bit of a douche so there's that.

But really @911ap i say go all in. I've been back and forth with modeling since 2002 when I got a L6 Flexrone. Then a Vetta, then I came back to tube amps using at first with a TC G minor then a Boss GT Pro with my ‘94 5150, then a Carvin V3, a Triple X, then incorporating a Randall MTS amp (that's where the Synergy came from, Engater did his M4 line, then Randall then Synergy) I sold the Randall rig to get my Axe FX II which I gigged with for about 6 years, an average of 75-85 gigs a year.

On a whim and to help a friend I bought his OG version 5150iiii head and picked up a Helix Lt for effects in the 4 cable method. I had some gigs where set up and tear down time was at a premium so I used just the Helix either into a backline amp or direct. Was it what I always wanted to hear? No. Was it good? You bet! But I was instantly seduced by the convenience. So when the FM9 came out I got it and I'm not looking back! Thinking of selling the 3 remaining heads I have, between the FM9 and the Helix as a back up I am pretty set.

FWiW the MTS rig was fun. My last incarnation of that rig was with a Boss GT Pro (4 cable method and also for clean tones live) the 4 space MTS preamp with the Lynch MR Scary, XTC, Utlra XL (very 5150 ish) modules and I'd swap between the Treadplate (Recto style) and the 1086 (Dan from Disturbed sig module) depending on my mood, into a Mesa 50/50 power amp or my 5150 as a power amp. With a ISP decimator and on the floor a Bad Horsie wah, Digitech Whammy 4 and a Voodoo Labs Ground Control Pro. That really was a fun rig.

Does the FM9 have a noise gate feature that does not affect the tone of the amp? Or color the sound in any way?

All the IN blocks have a built in noise gate and there's also a separate noise gate block that can be placed anywhere on the grid. Both can be totally transparent.

Back
Top Bottom