Questions about the FM9 before purchasing

911ap

Hi all. Just joined this forum. After a long hiatus with guitar I decided to recreate my entire set up to reignite the fire. Basically sold everything and started fresh. Currently have a Friedman BE-100 deluxe with a Friedman 4x12 cabinet running through a Ibanez PIA.

I'm conflicted on what to do with effects. Trying to decide if I should go with the FM9 or run all analog with pedals. I know fractal claims they can accurately reproduce any pedal, I have no experience to verify that. Figured this forum would be a great place to find out.

I don't use that many effects. Mostly if I use a flanger or phaser it's for Van Halen songs. Therefore, the evh flanger/phaser would be what I would want to recreate. For a distortion or boost pedal I'd probably only use a TS808 or SD-1. I typically like to get my distortions from the amplifier vs effects. For the delay I would be looking at recreating the echo plex. For the chorus I'd want to simulate the clone chorus and the boss chorus. Wah probably a cry baby and a whammy I figure is straight forward.

The rest of the stuff like an eq pedal, a noise suppressor, tuner, etc.... I figure doesn't matter that much, whatever fractal has I'm sure will be more than adequate. Essentially, I'd want to run all the switches as individual pedals and basically use the FM9 as a very clean pedalboard just for effects. Not really into the modeling but I'll probably try it to see how close it can get to actual amplifiers. Hey if it can recreate a jcm 800 or super lead perfectly I'll use them.

I do also have a synergy set up coming with a couple syn 2's that have the IICP+, vai, Soldano, and uberschall modules which is another reason I am less concerned about the modeling aspect of this unit.

When I tried to research on the fractal page where people upload effects files for instance, I didn't see anything specific to those individual effects. Most of them were files for Van Halen's early sound for example which included all of the effects in the file. I'm trying to separate them out by individual pedal though.

Any would be greatly appreciated by the forum.

Last edited:
Welcome! The FM9 can easily handle the effects you described!
I think that once you get started there are many here that can share presets that contain the blocks (Effects) you are looking for.

Here is just one example of one of our forum members @Moke who makes custom presets for Fractal products.
This VH example has the Phaser going.

https://www.custompresets.com/store...r_Humbucker_Pickups_(Axe-Fx_III)_-_20.05.html

You can customize the foot switches to be just like you mention. Single effect On/Off (and a lot more if desired!)

Last edited:
Hi, welcome! For what you describe, analog pedals would be more appropriate and way less expensive IMO. I use my FM9 to gig as a complete system - amp and cab models, plus effects. I also have a few amps at home, so I do use the FM9 with them, but only for convenience.

I run my home system like this:
Guitar -> FM9
FM9 out3 -> KHE amp-cab selector
KHE instrument out 1-4 -> Amp inputs (I have 4 amplifiers)
Amp speaker outs -> KHE speaker in 1-4
KHE Speaker out -> Suhr Reactive load box speaker in
Suhr Reactive load line out -> FM9 In3
FM9 MIDI controls the KHE and an amp gizmo for amp channel switching

This allows me to put all kinds of effects (compressor, phaser, gain, pitch) in front of the amp, plus all kinds of effects (chorus, delay, rotary, reverb) after the amp. I use the FM9 cab block to simulate a speaker cabinet as well.

What I get from this is the ability to automate amp and amp channel selection. So I can very quickly and easily switch between 4 amps and choose the amp channel all from the FM9 pedal. I also get access to all the cab sims, so I don't have to have multiple cabs plus microphones. PLUS all of this is stereo XLR out so I can run into a DAW, drive stereo desk monitors, run into headphones, all with complete control over volume.

I could do all of the effects and cab sim with DAW plugins, but not so much the amp control. This would look like
Guitar -> amp -> reactive load -> DAW

If you're looking for footswitch control ability, or cool automation, or access to pretty much any imaginable effect, the FM9 is great. If you want an exact reproduction of a small handful of analog pedals to use with a real amp and cab, maybe this isn't your best option.

Hi, welcome! For what you describe, analog pedals would be more appropriate and way less expensive IMO. I use my FM9 to gig as a complete system - amp and cab models, plus effects. I also have a few amps at home, so I do use the FM9 with them, but only for convenience.

I run my home system like this:
Guitar -> FM9
FM9 out3 -> KHE amp-cab selector
KHE instrument out 1-4 -> Amp inputs (I have 4 amplifiers)
Amp speaker outs -> KHE speaker in 1-4
KHE Speaker out -> Suhr Reactive load box speaker in
Suhr Reactive load line out -> FM9 In3
FM9 MIDI controls the KHE and an amp gizmo for amp channel switching

This allows me to put all kinds of effects (compressor, phaser, gain, pitch) in front of the amp, plus all kinds of effects (chorus, delay, rotary, reverb) after the amp. I use the FM9 cab block to simulate a speaker cabinet as well.

What I get from this is the ability to automate amp and amp channel selection. So I can very quickly and easily switch between 4 amps and choose the amp channel all from the FM9 pedal. I also get access to all the cab sims, so I don't have to have multiple cabs plus microphones. PLUS all of this is stereo XLR out so I can run into a DAW, drive stereo desk monitors, run into headphones, all with complete control over volume.

I could do all of the effects and cab sim with DAW plugins, but not so much the amp control. This would look like
Guitar -> amp -> reactive load -> DAW

If you're looking for footswitch control ability, or cool automation, or access to pretty much any imaginable effect, the FM9 is great. If you want an exact reproduction of a small handful of analog pedals to use with a real amp and cab, maybe this isn't your best option.
So as far as cost it comes out the same honestly.

EVH phase and flanger
Echo plex
SD-1
TS808
Small Clone Chorus
Boss Digital Delay
EQ pedal of some kind preferably 8-10 band
noise supressor
wah
whammy
acoustic simulator

I mean it's pretty much going to be at the 1500-1800 price range factoring in the pedalboard itself, all the cables, power, etc..... But yea I would run the boost/distortion pedals in the front and the rest in the fx loop at the preamp stage. But I wanted to get opinions from people on what they thought from current owners.

My biggest question is why doesn't the FM9 come with a carrying handle built strong like the AX8?

I didn't see any handles in the pictures? How do you avoid dropping it by accident?

Am I missing something? Is there a strong handle I can't see in the pics?

So as far as cost it comes out the same honestly.

EVH phase and flanger
Echo plex
SD-1
TS808
Small Clone Chorus
Boss Digital Delay
EQ pedal of some kind preferably 8-10 band
noise supressor
wah
whammy
acoustic simulator
What about a switcher, when it comes time to turn off 2 effects and turn on 1, all at the same time?
An FM9 will do that with ease, and so much more.
You could change the settings of the effects at the same instant you change their on/off states, for example.

Oh, and power supply, cables, and a board. Also handled in the FM9, but with fewer cables.

there is no doubt that the FM9 can handle the effects that you’re going for. I’d say that a big consideration is the user interface. If you like to explore tones in a live context by moving knobs and experimenting then it is going to be a big adjustment moving over to an FM9. With some investment into a few expression pedals, some judicious mapping of controllers to the perform pages, and thoughtful implementation of internal controllers the FM9 can give you a lot of instant control as well, but that will largely be on you to make it function how you want. There are some great videos on how to do this sort of thing if you’d like examples.

If you’re more of the type of player to find your setting on each pedal and to simply turn them on / off in varying combinations then the FM9 would easily handle that straight out of the box.

If you're going for that many effects, then I'd definitely go with the FM9. The automation of effects with presets and scenes would be very helpful there.

The FM9 can do what you want and can do it exceptionally well.

There are other solid options as well of course--your needs are generally pretty simple.

However, if you want to be able to build a rig that's more capable of (for example) Eddie's Balance era tone, the FM9 is an even better choice as it's easy to run multiple effects in parallel like one of the old and awesome rack systems.

I know fractal claims they can accurately reproduce any pedal, I have no experience to verify that.
I don't believe Fractal has ever made such a claim. Their primary focus is accurate modeling of tube amps.

That doesn't take away from the quality and quantity of effects available, but you should go into it with accurate information.

When I tried to research on the fractal page where people upload effects files for instance, I didn't see anything specific to those individual effects.
Because people upload presets. There's no capability to upload effects on AxeChange... Although you can share effects blocks, that's mostly done here in forum posts.

You might want to take a look at the Blocks Guide here to get an idea what the "general" types of effects and then (where applicable) the specific types within those.

https://www.fractalaudio.com/downloads/manuals/fas-guides/Fractal-Audio-Blocks-Guide.pdf#page67

So they told me themselves that the FM9 could practically replicate any effects pedal out there with enough tweaking. That is the issue. How much time is it going to take for a novice such as I to tweak the effects to get as close as possible to each desired pedal?

What I am worried is that I'm going to spend hours or weeks or something trying to replicate sounds and not get it still.

I did look at the blocks guide. What I liked with the drive block at least on the wiki page for fractal.

They have settings already built in that replicates all the Ibanez tubescreamers specifically the TS808 and the SD-1 Boss and OD-1 pedals that I would most likely be using.

I'm not sure why they didn't do this for the delay block, chorus, flange, etc.... This is pretty much what I am trying to create. The same way in the amp block they have models that replicate a marshall super lead, jcm 800, etc...

At the same time the modeling kind of interests me because with my set up it may be impossible for me to get the sounds I want. For instance if even with all the same pedals and amplifier my sound may not sound like Van Halen simply because I'm doing it out of a banez PIA vs a guitar with his pick ups. That's where maybe modeling could come into play. Same thing if I want to play guns n roses or Metallica.

The way I would like is to replicate all those pedals and then if necessary even have presets for modeling tones with the amplifiers to get that slash sounds, Van Halen, Metallica, etc....

At the same time the modeling kind of interests me because with my set up it may be impossible for me to get the sounds I want. For instance if even with all the same pedals and amplifier my sound may not sound like Van Halen simply because I'm doing it out of a banez PIA vs a guitar with his pick ups. That's where maybe modeling could come into play. Same thing if I want to play guns n roses or Metallica.

You still won't sound exactly like Van Halen unless you're using his specific guitars with his specific pups. Furthemore, you can't model a guitar with specific pups on the FAS -- only effect blocks and amp blocks.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum!

If you are looking for a fully-featured multi effects board - and that's really it - then I think the FM9 is overkill for you. You would be buying this incredible piece of gear but ignoring one of its best traits, the amp modeling.

However if you want to go into it with the idea that you will start by building the effects board you want, and commit to gradually dip your toes into the rest, you might surprise yourself.

Creative effects routing both in the box and using your real amps? Check. Classic effects sounds you want to dial in? Check. Fully customisable footswitch layouts including momentary switches, that you can change on a whim? Check. Changing sounds and turning multiple effects on/off with a single button press? CHECK.

I used to be opposed to modeling because I was sure that my real head and cab simply couldn't be replicated in a way I would find satisfying. I had tried plugins. Then I tried Helix and enjoyed it. Tried Fractal and I'm the happiest I've been. I also believe the FM9 would be able to do everything your current amps and the Synergy rig can do with ease.

If you are committed to avoiding the fantastic amp modeling, The Helix would make a great floorboard just for effects, IMO the UI is great for that, but i wanted both the effects and the virtual amps. The FM9 has it beat there

I'm not sure why they didn't do this for the delay block, chorus, flange, etc.... This is pretty much what I am trying to create. The same way in the amp block they have models that replicate a marshall super lead, jcm 800, etc...
The do in some cases. The Delay block has some specific model types, so does the Reverb and Chorus.

They also have more generic types because those effects are a bit more general.

Welcome to the forum!

If you are looking for a fully-featured multi effects board - and that's really it - then I think the FM9 is overkill for you. You would be buying this incredible piece of gear but ignoring one of its best traits, the amp modeling.

However if you want to go into it with the idea that you will start by building the effects board you want, and commit to gradually dip your toes into the rest, you might surprise yourself.

Creative effects routing both in the box and using your real amps? Check. Classic effects sounds you want to dial in? Check. Fully customisable footswitch layouts including momentary switches, that you can change on a whim? Check. Changing sounds and turning multiple effects on/off with a single button press? CHECK.

I used to be opposed to modeling because I was sure that my real head and cab simply couldn't be replicated in a way I would find satisfying. I had tried plugins. Then I tried Helix and enjoyed it. Tried Fractal and I'm the happiest I've been. I also believe the FM9 would be able to do everything your current amps and the Synergy rig can do with ease.

If you are committed to avoiding the fantastic amp modeling, The Helix would make a great floorboard just for effects, IMO the UI is great for that, but i wanted both the effects and the virtual amps. The FM9 has it beat there
I think you describe it well. I want to start with modeling the effects I want, then little by little dip my toes into amp modeling if it can actually satisfy. I started my guitar world with modeling amps (line 6 and others) and I never ever liked them compared to the actual tube amps they were trying to model.
Even then, you're not likely to sound like him because you're not him. The gear is a small part of the equation..

ehhhh I've gotten close haha. I'm closer with a Friedman head than was with his actual 5150 EVH head. Honestly that head was bad. I've seen a few videos of people on YouTube who honestly nailed his tone 100%. Pete Thorn replicated it perfectly with basically copying everything he did.

Skip to 11:50 and then 13:10. See that sound becomes like this cracking super dirty distorted sound like the amp is going to blow up or something. My Friedman gives me this more refined tone not an out of control one. I got closer using a ME 70 I had laying around that I threw in there and used the OD-1 pedal on it with the phaser and delay.

^If even I get this close I'm satisfied. I'm not looking to get his guitar, a super lead, turn every setting on 10, and then add a variact.

But I'm still wondering if the pickups make THAT big a difference between humbuckers. Utopia vs I believe they are Seymour Duncans?

Something else to consider...

I bought my Axe III mainly as a multi-effects processor that could do the legendary rack effects, in stereo. I too considered individual effects, but I'm convinced I made the better choice, plus, I got a lot more effects in the deal. And I wasn't even interested in the amp modeling; I just wanted a state-of-the-art, multi-effects processor that wouldn't suck tone, and had high-quality effects. And that's what I got.

But then I tried the amp & cab modeling, and now I'm a convert. Simple as that.

Something else to consider...

I bought my Axe III mainly as a multi-effects processor that could do the legendary rack effects, in stereo. I too considered individual effects, but I'm convinced I made the better choice, plus, I got a lot more effects in the deal. And I wasn't even interested in the amp modeling; I just wanted a state-of-the-art, multi-effects processor that wouldn't suck tone, and had high-quality effects. And that's what I got.

But then I tried the amp & cab modeling, and now I'm a convert. Simple as that.
Yea that's true. I have considered it. Honestly if I use the JCM 800 or super lead models and if they really are say 99% of the way there, I would totally love that vs having to buy all those individual heads.

This is another reason I am leaning towards the FM9. Is there any video of someone comparing the modeling on FM9 say the 1959 plexi to an actual plexi to see how close it is? I see a lot of these videos with the synergy stuff and that is like 99% of the way there.

Back
Top Bottom