Inspired by the FM3 temp home thread

Great patch Tim, many thanks for sharing! I was just thinking about doing one for the organ parts in Perfect Strangers and it won't take long to go from here to there.

But everyone knows that chocolate fudge is the only way to go with Pop Tarts.

Great patch Tim, many thanks for sharing! I was just thinking about doing one for the organ parts in Perfect Strangers and it won't take long to go from here to there.

But everyone knows that chocolate fudge is the only way to go with Pop Tarts.

Perfect Stranger is a killer tune. But I can’t believe someone with impeccable taste in music could be so wrong about Pop Tarts.

Last edited:
Perfect Stranger is a killer tune. But I can’t believe someone with impeccable taste in music could be so wrong about Pop Tarts.

Wrong about Pop Tarts, wrong about bass boat flake bengal tiger striped Flying Vs but at least I have the impeccable musical tastes of an old guy so there's that. ;)

@YetAnotherOne and @Kingfishcam - I got to foolin' around with doing a patch for Perfect Strangers just to see how I'd pull it off. I don't know the tune so I played a couple parts reading the tab I found. The preset has three scenes - 1) is for the organ intro part, 2) is a simple Marshall, and 3) is my attempt at spreading the stereo image with the cello and guitar.

I did hit some some CPU issues along the way because it uses some of the most expensive blocks - Pitch, Synth, Amp, Cab. I yanked out the Reverb block to get some headroom and used the Multitap Delay with a Quad Delay set to 100ms apart and a pretty high diffusion level - I was talking to @Admin M@ one day and he mentioned a technique like this to get some Reverb type sound without the Reverb block - I think this is what he was talking about (if not, please jump in Matt and correct me).

The amp, cab, and rotary are all set the same as the Blue Collar Man preset. One thing I did change was the pitch block. For Blue Collar Man, I had added an upper 5th mixed back a good bit so I needed to use the Quad Shift mode. By dropping the upper 5th (which wasn't right for this anyhow), I could change it to a Dual Shift and save a good bit of CPU.

Some more time could be spent refining the faux violin and balancing it better.

To use the preset you'll need to get the Violin_Mix IR from this post and load it into USER IR slot 5 (or change cabinet channel B to use the appropriate position in the USER IR Bank):
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/axe-fx-iii-violin.138531/post-1647394

Anyhow, here's a half-assed demo:

Preset attached below.

Attachments

• Perfect Strangers.syx
    24.1 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
So it seems the pitch block works definitely better than the ax8, cool!

Since you already have the fm3, can I ask you a question? What percentage is the cpu on factory preset #019 (Shiver)?
Asking just to get an idea of how the processing power compares to the axe fx

The Shiver preset is right around 80% - it sounds killer.

The Blue Collar Man preset is taking about 75% CPU. It uses a Quad Shift delay because I was doing 3 voices - octave up, octave down, and fifth up. I changed it to a Dual Shift and dropped the fifth up. It sounds just fine that way too and reduces the CPU to like 67%. New preset below.

Attachments

• Blue Collar DualShift.syx
    24.1 KB · Views: 18
The Shiver preset is right around 80% - it sounds killer.

The Blue Collar Man preset is taking about 75% CPU. It uses a Quad Shift delay because I was doing 3 voices - octave up, octave down, and fifth up. I changed it to a Dual Shift and dropped the fifth up. It sounds just fine that way too and reduces the CPU to like 67%. New preset below.
Great, seems my assumptions here were right then, 80% on the FM3 corresponds to ~52% on the axe fx, and that would be perfect for me cuz the majority of my presets don't go past 50%.

Thanks!

@hippietim they sound killer! I plan to hit the local "free wifi" place today, and I will save both of these patches on my laptop for Tuesdays Fractal delivery. No internet at home. We live in the middle of nowhere.
Thanks so much for working these out. It will give me a great start of learning home these features work!

Forgive my newbie question, but do I need to be connected to the FM3 to view this preset on the FM3 Edit? I just downloaded everything on my PC, and thought I would start taking a look at things.
Thanks in advance.

Forgive my newbie question, but do I need to be connected to the FM3 to view this preset on the FM3 Edit? I just downloaded everything on my PC, and thought I would start taking a look at things.
Thanks in advance.

Yeah, you have to be connected. I can do a screen capture of what the grid looks like at least.

Back
Top Bottom