Factory IR Mic Positions

sgplayer76

Inspired
Hey Guys, I have a question about the factory IR’s mic position(s). Most of the factory cabs have several positions labeled A, B, C, D, …etc. I would like to know (roughly) where the microphone is positioned for each letter when the cabs were captured. I am hoping that knowing this will help me dial in the new dynacabs moving forward (they’re great btw!). Thanks!

Some people don't like this answer but, just use your ears. The Dyna Cabs make is incredibly easy to quickly audition different positions. If you've mic'd real cabs before, the different mic positions will yield the same results. The middle of the speaker will be brighter; moving to the outside of the speaker will get darker. Close to the speaker will have more lows or boominess, moving away from the speaker reduces the lows or boominess.

Thanks for the responses. It’s a question I’ve always had, but never really felt the need to ask - until now. I figured knowing would help me find the best starting point, then tweak until it sounds perfect (to me). I’ve been going with my ears using dyna cabs and have found a few cab combinations/mic placements that sound GREAT. I would imagine my current favorites will change as new cabinets, microphones, amps, and other improvements are added. I’m pretty grateful FAS continues to develop/upgrade their products. I’ll be a customer as long as I’m able to play. 👍

Short answer for those who don't want to dig into links:
It depends on the different IR makers what system they used if any, and how they chose to label it, and if those labels were overwritten when fractal chose the couple shots they wanted to include. Some IR makers try adn be systematic and some just try and capture a bunch of individual good sounding spots which are different for every speaker/cab.

So through digging into a specific IR you might get to a single answer for that IR or you might not, but it won't be universal.

Back
Top Bottom