Few questions from a new user

Tell me where it's partial and not synchronized.

Cabinet numberings do not correspond between your list and the memory of the Axe FX III, unless you have two different lists, one updated for axe 3..?

At any event i salute you. Your list is amazing and indispensable. Thanks so so much for making it!

On this thread? Because on this thread there is only an explanation of the non explanation...;-)
It's the non-explanation explanation. IR producers do as they see fit. There's no one standard. The IRs in the III came from a variety of sources. Sometimes, within the various IR packs, there are explanations for the naming scheme used for the pack. But not always.

Over the years I've just completely migrated from my I-must-know-every-detail approach to setting up presets to I-just spin-the-dial-until-I-like-what-I-hear approach when it comes to IRs.

It's the non-explanation explanation. IR producers do as they see fit. There's no one standard. The IRs in the III came from a variety of sources. Sometimes, within the various IR packs, there are explanations for the naming scheme used for the pack. But not always.

Over the years I've just completely migrated from my I-must-know-every-detail approach to setting up presets to I-just spin-the-dial-until-I-like-what-I-hear approach when it comes to IRs.

I understand your point and accept, only thing is, since were not talking about a technical limitation, but rather a human choice to have it so vague, im a bit disappointed that i have to use so much guess work when i want to audition a specific Cabinet that i have in mind, but that's ok, im very much enjoying this device and have very little issues or complaints. Its just new to me so im learning.
As always, its a tool that needs to get into a certain habit which im sure ill develop.
Thanks!

I understand the premise behind your question -- and it's an intelligent one. But it's also a rabbit hole that will leave you unsatisfied with more questions than answers.

I only mentioned the myriad of setting because, since they are "baked in" to the IRs, it sounds like something else you'd want to be aware of.

...but again, beware the rabbit holes....

I don’t understand the confusion. The IR name tells you the cab configuration, the speaker type, and the mic used. Within that, you get a choice of mic positions that the IR maker found pleasing.

There wouldn’t be much value in having precise definitions of how the mic was placed, because differences of a fraction of an inch can make big differences in how it sounds, and your “1/2 inch off of the edge of the dust cap and angle in” will be different from someone else’s. With IRs, just like with miking real cabs, you move the mic around until you like what you hear. You don’t just measure a spot and walk away.

When I was capturing IRs I specifically chose to obfuscate the names to force people to use there ears. Matt had suggested, i.e., 4x12 Brit V30 Speaker 1 Cap SM57. I said "Nope, 4x12 Brit V30 SM57 A. That will force people to listen rather than choosing with their eyes."

Thanks so much for chiming in! So Since you are here, could you just tell what the A, B and C stand for? are they the different speakers in the cab or different positions on the same speaker? Again thanks for the amazing work, ive been living inside your box for a week 24 hours a day..;-)

Thanks so much for chiming in! So Since you are here, could you just tell what the A, B and C stand for? are they the different speakers in the cab or different positions on the same speaker? Again thanks for the amazing work, ive been living inside your box for a week 24 hours a day..;-)
From his response, A, B and C seem an arbitrary nomenclature -- except that perhaps A was first, B was second, C was third...

That’s the point. He just explained why he named it A B C....

ive been living inside your box for a week 24 hours a day

I imagine @FractalAudio's face when he read this:

KyCi.gif

EDIT: FWIW to the OP, see it with your ears and hear it with your eyes. This revolutionary piece of gear can combine a huge number of amps with a huge number of cabs.

More importantly, @dumbeat, what are you looking for? What tone, amp, cab, sound, sonic replication, or song are your looking to achieve? I have to agree with others that you may be over over'ing this a little too much bruh..

I imagine @FractalAudio's face when he read this:

KyCi.gif

EDIT: FWIW to the OP, see it with your ears and hear it with your eyes. This revolutionary piece of gear can combine a huge number of amps with a huge number of cabs.

More importantly, @dumbeat, what are you looking for? What tone, amp, cab, sound, sonic replication, or song are your looking to achieve? I have to agree with others that you may be over over'ing this a little too much bruh..
It seems like he’s somewhat arbitrarily trying to replicate a specific setup. But this isn’t an imitation device. It’s a creation device.

I think this is precisely what Cliff was saying he did not want to promote. If the naming convention were fully understood and documented more people would “choose with their eyes”.

Sounds like the architect of all things Fractal just said “nope” to the request to define the naming convention and explained why he will not.

I think you are over thinking this. If you want a Marshall, find a “Brit” amp. If you want a specific speaker that info is there too. Beyond that use your ears. This is an artistic endeavor, not an academic exercise.

For #2 you could split from the amp block and use Cab Block 1 to output 1 with an IR panned left and an IR panned right and Cab Block 2 to output 2 with an IR panned left and an IR panned right. Then you could mix all four in post as you wish.

For #2 you could split from the amp block and use Cab Block 1 to output 1 with an IR panned left and an IR panned right and Cab Block 2 to output 2 with an IR panned left and an IR panned right. Then you could mix all four in post as you wish.

Totally! thought about that a minute later...;-)

I think this is precisely what Cliff was saying he did not want to promote. If the naming convention were fully understood and documented more people would “choose with their eyes”.

Sounds like the architect of all things Fractal just said “nope” to the request to define the naming convention and explained why he will not.

I think you are over thinking this. If you want a Marshall, find a “Brit” amp. If you want a specific speaker that info is there too. Beyond that use your ears. This is an artistic endeavor, not an academic exercise.

OK i accept! ;-)

It seems like he’s somewhat arbitrarily trying to replicate a specific setup. But this isn’t an imitation device. It’s a creation device.

Being a new user, i wanted, as an exercise, to bring the Basic blocks of amps which i like and own and see how they behave in a basic form. Im a serious tinkerer of gear, so the creative aspect is clear and appealing to me off the bat, however, i wanted to test the models/modeling in a very basic and familiar form... no sweat.

Being a new user, i wanted, as an exercise, to bring the Basic blocks of amps which i like and own and see how they behave in a basic form. Im a serious tinkerer of gear, so the creative aspect is clear and appealing to me off the bat, however, i wanted to test the models/modeling in a very basic and familiar form... no sweat.
I feel like we need a Twelve Step Transition Program on the wiki. This is like Step 3 or so that we all go through coming to Fractal gear. :tearsofjoy: Wait until you get to the selling-others-on-Fractal-gear step!

could you just tell what the A, B and C stand for?
They can mean different things (as has already been said). Some IR producers use those letters to indicate (relative) mic position, others use the letters to indicate the speaker choice...

Back
Top Bottom