What do A,B,C mean on Fractal IR’s?

Is there a specific placement for each or is it bright and dark? I’m going to make some IR’s and I’d like the codes to match if possible for ease of use.

Is there a specific placement for each or is it bright and dark? I’m going to make some IR’s and I’d like the codes to match if possible for ease of use.
Some examples of letter meanings for you.
Mic placements:
Read the specs from each of the IR makers to see if they have their mic placement codes.

Fractal: Different speakers are marked with letters A (bottom left speaker), B (bottom right speaker), C (top right speaker) and D (top left speaker). The numbers mentioned after the letters describe different variations of the mic position.

VH: Different speakers are marked with letters A (top left speaker), B (top right speaker), C (bottom right speaker) and D (bottom left speaker). The numbers mentioned after the letters describe different variations of the mic position.

YA: Some files have letters after the mic type to signify various placements on the speaker. Here is a list of those suffixes and what they mean.
OA - Off-Axis CE - Cap Edge CNT - Center Cap
CN - Center Cone CNE - Cone Edge
FCN - Fredman Center FOA - Fredman Off-Axis

OWNERs of IRs:
AB — AustinBuddy
CEL — Celestion
DB — Dr. Bonkers
JM — Jay Mitchell (farfield IRs)
ML — ML Sound Lab
OH — OwnHammer
RW — Red Wirez
TAF — The Amp Factory
TS — Chris Traynor and James Santiago
VH — Valhallir.at
YA — York Audio

Some examples of letter meanings for you.
Mic placements:
Read the specs from each of the IR makers to see if they have their mic placement codes.

Fractal: Different speakers are marked with letters A (bottom left speaker), B (bottom right speaker), C (top right speaker) and D (top left speaker). The numbers mentioned after the letters describe different variations of the mic position.

VH: Different speakers are marked with letters A (top left speaker), B (top right speaker), C (bottom right speaker) and D (bottom left speaker). The numbers mentioned after the letters describe different variations of the mic position.

YA: Some files have letters after the mic type to signify various placements on the speaker. Here is a list of those suffixes and what they mean.
OA - Off-Axis CE - Cap Edge CNT - Center Cap
CN - Center Cone CNE - Cone Edge
FCN - Fredman Center FOA - Fredman Off-Axis

OWNERs of IRs:
AB — AustinBuddy
CEL — Celestion
DB — Dr. Bonkers
JM — Jay Mitchell (farfield IRs)
ML — ML Sound Lab
OH — OwnHammer
RW — Red Wirez
TAF — The Amp Factory
TS — Chris Traynor and James Santiago
VH — Valhallir.at
YA — York Audio
Wow, great response. Thank you so much.

The letters in the Fractal cabinet names do not mean different speakers. The letters simply differentiate between different captures with the same mic and do not mean anything more than that. As Cliff explained:
When I was capturing IRs I specifically chose to obfuscate the names to force people to use there ears. Matt had suggested, i.e., 4x12 Brit V30 Speaker 1 Cap SM57. I said "Nope, 4x12 Brit V30 SM57 A. That will force people to listen rather than choosing with their eyes."
This is also evident from looking through the factory IRs, where many cabs have far more letters than speakers. For example, the 1x12 Mesa Boogie 1x12 Mark IIC+ cab in Factory Bank 1 has as many as nine variations for some mics (letters A through I) despite only having a single speaker.

Wow, great response. Thank you so much.
NP, welcome aboard the Fractal Community brother. There are so many awesome people here to help and resources available. Other than all the manuals, there are gouges on Amps, cabs by Yek, tutorials and presets by Cooper Carter, Leon Todd, Burgs, Austin Buddy, Fremen, Moke, Simeon to name a few. Axe Change has presets and cabs https://axechange.fractalaudio.com/search-results.php?search=&fields=all&products=9&setups=0
Wiki AXE III is awesome:
https://wiki.fractalaudio.com/wiki/index.php?title=Category:Axe-Fx3
https://wiki.fractalaudio.com/wiki/index.php?title=Yeks_Guide_to_the_Fractal_Audio_Amp_Models
https://wiki.fractalaudio.com/wiki/index.php?title=Yeks_Guide_to_the_Fractal_Audio_Drive_Models
http://archive.axefx.fr/AxeFX III/
http://www.simeonharris.co.uk/fractal.html
https://fracpad.e-junkie.com/
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/thre...x-ii-xl-xl-ax8-fx8-axe-fx-iii-and-fm3.120946/

The letters in the Fractal cabinet names do not mean different speakers. The letters simply differentiate between different captures with the same mic and do not mean anything more than that. As Cliff explained:

This is also evident from looking through the factory IRs, where many cabs have far more letters than speakers. For example, the 1x12 Mesa Boogie 1x12 Mark IIC+ cab in Factory Bank 1 has as many as nine variations for some mics (letters A through I) despite only having a single speaker.
That Fractal note came straight from Fractal verbiage that is why I added ;
"Mic placements:
Read the specs from each of the IR makers to see if they have their mic placement codes." to avoid any confusion. Hopefully that works.

Also, I couldn't find a breakdown of mic placements for E through I. Maybe Fractal could provide the A through I mic placement breakdown.

Last edited:
That Fractal note came straight from Fractal verbiage that is why I added ;
"Mic placements:
Read the specs from each of the IR makers to see if they have their mic placement codes." to avoid any confusion. Hopefully that works.

Also, I couldn't find a breakdown of mic placements for E through I. @FractalAudio Maybe Fractal could provide the A through I mic placement breakdown.

Fractal deliberately obfuscated the placements.
"When I was capturing IRs I specifically chose to obfuscate the names to force people to use there ears. Matt had suggested, i.e., 4x12 Brit V30 Speaker 1 Cap SM57. I said "Nope, 4x12 Brit V30 SM57 A. That will force people to listen rather than choosing with their eyes." [1]

While it might seem unintuitive or even annoying at first, we have enough information in the factory cab names to narrow down our selection to the number of speakers, their types and sizes and the microphone type(s), then we can browse to find the specific sound we want.

I’ve found speakers I’d never have considered if I was using my eyes only.

Cliff was referring to FAS IR captures. The factory cabs have many other IR vendors whose letter designations that may or may not mean something to depending on their own naming standards. @rhummellh was entirely correct. Best to research each vendor to find out what their naming conventions mean.

Cliff was referring to FAS IR captures. The factory cabs have many other IR vendors whose letter designations that may or may not mean something to depending on their own naming standards. @rhummellh was entirely correct. Best to research each vendor to find out what their naming conventions mean.
Not to be pedantic, but rhummellh was referring to FAS captures, too. He incorrectly said said that this was the naming convention for FAS IR captures:

Not to be pedantic, but rhummellh was referring to FAS captures, too. He incorrectly said said that this was the naming convention for FAS IR captures:
Not to be pedantic but that FAS info was directly from Fractal and then afterwards Cliff made the statement about not defining them as such so we could learn how to depend on our ears. :)
Do your research before responding next time. Not sure what the purpose was but I guess we now got a kindergarten AXE III Gestapo looking for false info to get ahead of the class, lol. Go to the corner, you are in time out.

Attachments

• FAS cabs.jpg
    FAS cabs.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom