Can someone from Fractal Audio confirm AXE III isn't around the corner?

On a slightly serious note, I can't really see where it can go though. Maybe faster chips and larger banks to hold more models, a better GUI, but on the modelling side... I've gotta say, I can't see it getting better.

It could multiply the power by 6 and go HEX. Like the Roland V-Guitar but with Fractal Audio quality!!!

Perfect modelling of all kind of stringed instruments, pickups, guitar bodies, polyphonic Synths, alternate tunings, long etc... 8)

13pin.jpg

IMHO the "Axe-FX 2 is the more advanced than anything else out there" is not really a valid reason for not continuing to develop new things.
I'm not saying it as a bad thing, I'm just saying that a company can bring out a hardware-update even though their current hardware is more advanced than the competition :)
So listing that as a reason is IMO incorrect.

One important thing that electronpirate mentions though is the fact that no company will ever release information like that until it's time to release the product itself. And that's that.
With that said, Axe2 is still fairly new and I don't see an update in the near future. Besides, there are so many things they can add and improve with just firmware-updates.

Conclusion: You'll be safe for a good while, I think.

with technology moving as quickly as it does today, there is ALWAYS something around the corner.

so when you buy any tech or gear today, keep the boxes and packaging, keep the unit in the best condition you can and don't get too attached in case you want to sell it to get the new one. but even if you don't want to buy the new one, your current one will devalue because it isn't the new one. so you may want to sell it anyway.

you can either live in fear of "the new one" or be ready when it does happen.

or you can be ok with keeping the "old one" since nothing gets worse with the previous gear... unless it has to interface with computer OSs... so then you may want to sell it :)

3. 99% of people don't use the full power of the Axe II NOW. Somehow latest and greatest is what you NEED?
Heck, with all the grousing over too many firmware updates over the past 16 months, some folks might stop complaining about an aspect of the AxeII if it got supplanted.

The Axe-Fx II is way more powerful than anything else out there. The Pods are using SHARCs, 300 MHz in the HD500 IIRC. The KPA is using a 200 MHz fixed-point DSPB56720. The closest is the 11R which has two floating-point TI DSPs (I don't remember the speed, I think they're 250 MHz). The Axe-Fx II has two 600 MHz dual-core TigerSHARCs.

I think you're forgetting that we're not concerned about what the competition is using but what you may come up with one Sunday afternoon that will REQUIRE more. You tend to have that effect on hardware sir.

Lets see...

600mhz x2 cores x 2 processors = 2.4ghz

my laptop i'm on right now... 2.13 ghz

Axe Fx II > The laptop i'm using right now

I'm goign to put a V before the II on my axe-
Then i'll have the Axe Fx 7...then i won't have to worry about upgrading for a few decades

It's much more about programming than it is about hardware anyway, and FAS has the best programmers in the biz.

If you don't believe the first half of that sentence, consider that Halo and Halo 2 were both released on the original XBOX, one toward the beginning of its run, one at the end. Two was vastly superior in graphics quality despite running on the exact same hardware.

My bet is on Cliff and Co. squeezing a hell of a lot more out of (and by that I mean into) the Axe-Fx II before a hardware upgrade is necessary.

Where was it stated that nothing new was or wasn't being developed?

It wasn't said that nothing new was or wasn't being developed, nor did I say or imply that. You must have misunderstood the point of my post.
But this:

The Axe-Fx II is way more powerful than anything else out there. The Pods are using SHARCs, 300 MHz in the HD500 IIRC. The KPA is using a 200 MHz fixed-point DSPB56720. The closest is the 11R which has two floating-point TI DSPs (I don't remember the speed, I think they're 250 MHz). The Axe-Fx II has two 600 MHz dual-core TigerSHARCs.

No.

Rant to ensue:

1. The Axe II is more advanced than anything out there. This reminds me of the whole 'processor wars' of the 90's. Every day someone would advertise 'NEW SPEED ADVANCEMENTS! BUY BUY BUY!' But bus speeds, amount of memory, and lack of proper application tuning meant that all you were buying was hype (and WAY more expensive hype at that.) The MAC's at that time had significantly slower CPU clocked speeds, but they were MUCH faster because they put the whole package together in a less haphazard (i.e. M$) way.

They say it as if that's a reason an Axe3 won't or shouldn't come out - which in my opinion is an incorrect reasoning.
But like I said, I have nothing negative at all to say about Axe2 or about anything in regards to Fractal Audio. I just thought that the reason was weird.

A better reason would be "Axe2 is still very new, thus it's not likely an Axe3 will come out any time soon", or "We don't reveal such information".
Listing how good the Axe2 is however, is not a reason that an Axe3 couldn't be in the development.

But yes, like ccroyal said, I think there's still A LOT more they can do with the Axe2 before they feel the need for an Axe3.

It wasn't said that nothing new was or wasn't being developed, nor did I say or imply that. You must have misunderstood the point of my post.
But this:

They say it as if that's a reason an Axe3 won't or shouldn't come out - which in my opinion is an incorrect reasoning.
But like I said, I have nothing negative at all to say about Axe2 or about anything in regards to Fractal Audio. I just thought that the reason was weird.

A better reason would be "Axe2 is still very new, thus it's not likely an Axe3 will come out any time soon", or "We don't reveal such information".
Listing how good the Axe2 is however, is not a reason that an Axe3 couldn't be in the development.

That wasn't his reason; that was responding to posts following his reason. His reason was given in post #4 which is exactly one of the reasons you say would be better.

I can remember demo vids of the standard and ultra doing stuff I still haven't figured out yet. I'm sure I'll find a reason to upgrade when the day comes, but I'm confident I won't have run out of options and undiscovered capabilities before then.

I took the "horsepower" information more as a hint, that there's plenty of room for growth of features and Cliff's epiphanies, hence no need for a new hardware platform in the near future.
I took it less as a "faster is always better and we got the fastest" ad slogan.

No.

Rant to ensue:

1. The Axe II is more advanced than anything out there. This reminds me of the whole 'processor wars' of the 90's. Every day someone would advertise 'NEW SPEED ADVANCEMENTS! BUY BUY BUY!' But bus speeds, amount of memory, and lack of proper application tuning meant that all you were buying was hype (and WAY more expensive hype at that.) The MAC's at that time had significantly slower CPU clocked speeds, but they were MUCH faster because they put the whole package together in a less haphazard (i.e. M$) way.

2. How do people think that a company would tell you 'don't buy the thing we have out now, because in 6 months, something different will come out!' Come on folks.

3. 99% of people don't use the full power of the Axe II NOW. Somehow latest and greatest is what you NEED?

4. If you haven't tried the Axe-FX II yet, then how the hell do you know what this is all about? It's like ordering a 200 watt head to play coffee houses because it's the 'newest', not 'what I need'.

Rant over.

Sorry. I tire of the 'can I see Fractal's business plan?' questions. Decide what you need, and get it. Hand wringing endlessly will only take away from the point of gear...JUST PLAYING.

Ron
Thanks.. But i hope i didnt seeem like i was moaning or whatever.. i was just wondering..its a big investment for me as i dont make any money from music at the moment....:)

Back
Top Bottom