Can someone from Fractal Audio confirm AXE III isn't around the corner?

I wonder if they did make an axe 3 they would offer to accept axe 2s back to the factory for upgrading, at a price of course, for instance if the main physiological difference between the 2 and 3 was a more powerful processor, more memory etc. they could possibly design the 3 with that possibility in mind. there'd be far less grumbling from faceless people on the internet that way and it'd be a great gesture to the people to spent the money

edit: thinking on this a bit more, it seems very unlikely to me. just thinking aloud..

Just like they say: too many of us spend too much time chasing tone or the hot new thing.

For many "Quit chasing tone, and learn to play better guitar" is really the best use of time.

The issue of "nailing good tones" are totally solved by the AXE II.... so if you own the AXE II, quit worrying about an AXE III, learn to use the AXE II. It could take years to master it.

You've got 70+ amps, thousands of cabinet/mic choices if you use IRs, and all the ridiculously plentiful effects options, crazy configuration capabilities...this is tone creativity unlimited.

I just want to quit my day job and program tones in the AXE II all day, is there any way to make a living doing THAT?

:)

The Axe-Fx II is way more powerful than anything else out there. The Pods are using SHARCs, 300 MHz in the HD500 IIRC. The KPA is using a 200 MHz fixed-point DSPB56720. The closest is the 11R which has two floating-point TI DSPs (I don't remember the speed, I think they're 250 MHz). The Axe-Fx II has two 600 MHz dual-core TigerSHARCs.

I love it when you talk dirty, Cliff! :p

A cheaper model may not be too far behind the corner, but for all we know it may not even include any or many amps.

Cliff is already saying all models nail it like 100%, so what's there to be scared of anyway?

His worry may be more how he will ever sell an Axe III, but luckily there are many fan boys, or loyal customers who may buy it out of thanks alone. And stand back if he would get any more epiphanies! ;)

do you have more infos on the cheaper model? i'm thinking of a backup or practice rig at the moment.

I just want to quit my day job and program tones in the AXE II all day, is there any way to make a living doing THAT?
If there wasn't, smilefan would still be here... ;)

do you have more infos on the cheaper model? i'm thinking of a backup or practice rig at the moment.
I don't know much more than what was on one of the most recent interviews with Cliff. You'll have to look that up.

I'm not "counting" on anything. In the further past, other projects were mentioned that never came to pass.

OTOH, I wouldn't be surprised if Xmas brought maybe a limited FX or Amps only (or limited mix) floor model.
I just hope they don't add strategical goodies so we'll "need" that one too :mrgreen
Actually, I do need a floor model though... ;)

OTOH, perhaps it's a one unit rack with 400 user IR spaces, then we'll need that too :D

There won't be an AxeFX III until there is a reason to get an AxeFX III. The Ultra ended at Firmware 11, the II is at Firmware 7 and it's more than I could ever ask for in any piece of gear ever. Period.

If it's perfect for me now, and he's still updating... well then damn.

Just read THIS... :mrgreen:
Its typical. Every time I've bought something, be it a computer or cell phone or whatever, the new model comes out the next month...Just bought the AXE II. Please tell me there wont be third (technically fourth) generation Axe anytime soon :p PLEASE!!:roll

where i can see hardware improvements: maybe an coloured, kinda like ipod iOS user interface running on it, USB 3.0 (for faster preset transfer so it would be an easy drag n´drop with the presets (like 300 presets in 2 secs), but also cause it´s standard), the new tiger dsp with i think 4-6 cores it was (or something..i dont remember but there was something), maybe more space for presets and IRs again... but there is much more potential with the II. So be ready for an hell of a journey.

@Cliff: I was always wondering how much firmware space do you have left (after having 7 major updates)

The processing hardware is great. Personally I'd rather have the front panel one big touchscreen but that would be cost prohibitive.

The processing hardware is great. Personally I'd rather have the front panel one big touchscreen but that would be cost prohibitive.
That would be awesome! Keep those wheels turning.

AXe-FX III KNOBLESS :p

"The Only knobs are the guys operating the front touch screen" :p

Please don't do that. Touch screens are cool and all, but I much prefer knobs and buttons. My OCD would melt my brain if the entire front panel was one solid scratch magnet. I wouldn't even be able to put my rack in the trailer because I'd be worried about temp changes (north dakota goes from -80 in winter to 100+ in summer). I get the willies just thinking about that.

Oh my goddd!!! My axe arrived today.. It's soooo light. I didn't expect that... Fractal. What would we do without you I mean what????? Up yours L6 :p

Whenever the next physical incarnation of Cliff's work will be announced (ie Axe-FX III), I will try to remind myself about this: I sold my Ultra shortly after the II was released as I was added to the European waiting list for the II. This resulted in me being Axe-less for approximately 9 months. I will not be Axe-less for 9 months again.

A lot. The FLASH chip in the II is four times larger than the original Axe-Fx.

Speaking of size and space. Is there a reason there are only 3xx~ preset slots on the Axe2? Not that I would ever think that I need that many.. but I'm still curious.

Back
Top Bottom