build twin-sound presets or stick with preset switching?

nice work - like the concept and the use of Excel. Speaking of Excel, I've been using Excel for chord charts as of just recently and it is an excellent tool for that job. I can colour code sections, everything lines up properly. I love it. I just save it as a PDF, share it with Syncplicity (like dropbox) and fire up the ipad and play!

Appreciate this advice as well! Out of curiosity, are these strategies based on real amp setups or FAS modeling? (I'm sure the same basic approach would work in a compatible fashion between both, but I'd be curious to know.)

Cheers,

Alan

Andy and Larry do it with real amps. Andy with a Mesa Lonestar and Larry with his Dumble. I've done it with real amps and my Axe-FX (and now AX8). I dropped in the Texas Star Clean amp and cab and then the drive block. In the old days (college) I had a JCM 800 50 watt that I had a MXR micro amp and a Morley volume boost pedal in front of (also a Distortion + pedal). The amp was single channel so my clean was pedals off (except chorus - it was the eighties after all ) and my guitar volume rolled back a bit. For distorted tones I hit the amp with full knob, micro amp, and if going for VH type dirt, the volume pedal boost. Worked great, but I don't miss the tap dancing or carrying the stuff.

Andy and Larry do it with real amps. Andy with a Mesa Lonestar and Larry with his Dumble. I've done it with real amps and my Axe-FX (and now AX8). I dropped in the Texas Star Clean amp and cab and then the drive block. In the old days (college) I had a JCM 800 50 watt that I had a MXR micro amp and a Morley volume boost pedal in front of (also a Distortion + pedal). The amp was single channel so my clean was pedals off (except chorus - it was the eighties after all ) and my guitar volume rolled back a bit. For distorted tones I hit the amp with full knob, micro amp, and if going for VH type dirt, the volume pedal boost. Worked great, but I don't miss the tap dancing or carrying the stuff.
Thanks for answering my question. Although I started playing guitar (seriously) in the 1970s and had a few pedals in front of my amp through the early 1980s, I ended up migrating to using just a Rockman Sustainor and Rockman Stereo Chorus/Delay in front of my amp (controlled by a simple custom foot pedal) and then on to an ART SGX 2000 in the early 1990s and a Vox ToneLab in the mid-2000s (both in front of an amp). As a result, I never got very comfortable with building sounds in the classic pedals-into-amp manner, although I will say that my best heavy sounds on the ToneLab included an overdrive pedal in the patches.

Between your advice, the multifaceted preset that Smittefar so kindly built for me, and referencing other relevant presets, I think I'm in a better position to start learning how to construct the tones I'm looking for--ideally using more than just the amp blocks and cabinets for the basic timbres.

Best wishes and thanks again for the assistance,

Alan

I have 4 pre-sets per bank on buttons 1-4 (1. Funk Clean 2. Wet Clean 3. Crunch 4. Lead) and 4 global effects switches on 5-8.(5. Amp X/Y 6. Drive 7. Modulation 8. Delay) and within those I may have a few X/Y options. This can get me through almost any scenario, but I keep a separate bank for those spare pre-sets I may need for specific songs, with the same global functions. It's a breeze on stage and I find it much easier and flexible than scenes.

Bruce,

Could you explain how you set this up? I'd like to set mine up like this.

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom