build twin-sound presets or stick with preset switching?

@Alan Benjamin, (If you feel comfortable?) Post 3 sample presets of your progress so far and I will see if I can condense them into a single preset using 3 scenes for you to give you some ideas. There will surely be some compromises, but I find the convenience and gap-less spillover to be worth it.

@Alan Benjamin, (If you feel comfortable?) Post 3 sample presets of your progress so far and I will see if I can condense them into a single preset using 3 scenes for you to give you some ideas. There will surely be some compromises, but I find the convenience and gap-less spillover to be worth it.
Hey Moke,

Thanks so much for the very kind offer! I was out-of-pocket all day and only got home in time to make a few last tweaks to my new draft AX8 preset collection/setup for tonight's band rehearsal. Based on Smittefar's feedback about switching between lower-CPU presets potentially being faster than making big intra-preset scene changes where amps (via X/Y) and my need to have something ready for tonight, I ended up developing a three-bank preset system that should get me through all the live material we're playing at the moment--leveraging preset-based footswitch controls that either toggle back and forth between two presets or jump forward to a third preset when needed. The nice thing about this approach is that I can always leverage F1 for this type of toggling, F2 to hit alternate lead sounds, and F4 to go to the volume swell patches (only in the source presets where this applies).

I ended up placing a lot of the pairs of patches on top of each other (F1/F5, F2/F6, etc.), just so I know where everything is--and, while a lot of the presets initially came from the same library I built over the past few days, I found it nice to be able to manipulate each copy independently to fit the specific context of the tunes they cover.

With this in mind, along with the fact that several of the source presets were tweaked for different guitars, I'm not sure it would be practical to go back to the single-preset-per-tune ideal I was originally targeting when I started this thread. Plus I'd hate to take advantage of your kindness now that I'm not even sure I have a compelling case for consolidating tones this way.

Again, I really appreciate your kind offer and may end up taking you up on it if my continuous research (and everyone's helpful feedback) leads me back in that direction.

All the best,

Alan

Greetings,

After two attempts at building some basic per-song presets on my new AX8 and not being so happy with the results, I ended up buying a new pair of Alto TS212s and decided to go back and start over once again. My first step was to revisit all the factory presets and narrow down a short list of those that might be best manipulated for my purposes and then built a basic library of about 12 single-sound presets that I'd like to use as the basis for programming what I need for playing my band's live set.

With the exception of two tunes, most of our repertoire requires at least one clean and one overdrive sound--and I've tweaked some very nice overdrive sounds I'd like to leverage--none of which use the same amps (or cabs most likely) as any of my clean sounds. With this mind, my original plan was to build new song-specific presets based on scene 1 having the first tone (normally clean) and scene 2 with the overdrive, starting by copying the more complex reference preset I've built and then manually copying all the components of the other sound I want into the other X/Y slots of corresponding blocks and bypassing what's not needed in either scene. My thought process here is that the scene switching should be faster than relying solely on switching between single-sound presets.

In the process of auditioning some of the sounds, though, I noticed that preset-switching performed just about as quickly as I'll need (even though there are a lot of fairly quick changes--often back and forth several times in the same tune). Additionally, there are some tunes were I really need three distinct tones that I doubt I'll be able to program into the same pair of amps/cabs.

With this in mind, I'm wondering if anyone has advice as to the practicality of sticking mainly with preset switching as opposed to trying to consolidate pairs of sounds together in single presets using scene switching. Also, for the latter, is there any better way to "consolidate" the sounds from two different source presets into a single two-scene preset than the method I mentioned above? Any guidance in this regard would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a lot and take care,

Alan

P.S. The new tones are really sounding great already!
I have 4 pre-sets per bank on buttons 1-4 (1. Funk Clean 2. Wet Clean 3. Crunch 4. Lead) and 4 global effects switches on 5-8.(5. Amp X/Y 6. Drive 7. Modulation 8. Delay) and within those I may have a few X/Y options. This can get me through almost any scenario, but I keep a separate bank for those spare pre-sets I may need for specific songs, with the same global functions. It's a breeze on stage and I find it much easier and flexible than scenes.

Quite a fun challenge you gave us there Alan

I thought, I could offer a bit of inspiration, so here is a preset with 7 gapless scenes based on the TX star clean amp model

Screenshot%202016-05-08%2010.29.32.png

As you may be able to guess, I am riding the edge of the CPU limit with this one, so original, I had the Cavern reverb (nrml quality diffusion density 2) in the reverb block x position, but I had to go with a huge spring reverb instead.

Anyways - these are the scenes
Scene 1 - Volume swell (exp pedal 1 attached to the vol/pan block) - no amp used, clean tone shaped by GEQ block
Scene 2 - Funky clean - no amp
Scene 3 - Amp, Cab and Chorus - nothing else - edge of breakup
Scene 4 - Using filters to clean up the amp and raise the level backup, beautiful single note lines here
Scene 5 - Using the y state of the filters to make a treble booster kind of sound
Scene 6 - Using the BB pre to get a modern drive sound - reverb plus delay
Scene 7 - Using Ruckus drive to achieve the same thing - Multidelay

The presets are fairly even in level, but not perfect, so watch out for the volumes.

Attachments

• Test for Alan.syx
    12.6 KB · Views: 14
Hey Moke,

Thanks so much for the very kind offer! I was out-of-pocket all day and only got home in time to make a few last tweaks to my new draft AX8 preset collection/setup for tonight's band rehearsal. Based on Smittefar's feedback about switching between lower-CPU presets potentially being faster than making big intra-preset scene changes where amps (via X/Y) and my need to have something ready for tonight, I ended up developing a three-bank preset system that should get me through all the live material we're playing at the moment--leveraging preset-based footswitch controls that either toggle back and forth between two presets or jump forward to a third preset when needed. The nice thing about this approach is that I can always leverage F1 for this type of toggling, F2 to hit alternate lead sounds, and F4 to go to the volume swell patches (only in the source presets where this applies).

I ended up placing a lot of the pairs of patches on top of each other (F1/F5, F2/F6, etc.), just so I know where everything is--and, while a lot of the presets initially came from the same library I built over the past few days, I found it nice to be able to manipulate each copy independently to fit the specific context of the tunes they cover.

With this in mind, along with the fact that several of the source presets were tweaked for different guitars, I'm not sure it would be practical to go back to the single-preset-per-tune ideal I was originally targeting when I started this thread. Plus I'd hate to take advantage of your kindness now that I'm not even sure I have a compelling case for consolidating tones this way.

Again, I really appreciate your kind offer and may end up taking you up on it if my continuous research (and everyone's helpful feedback) leads me back in that direction.

All the best,

Alan
Sounds like you're getting a heap of cool ideas/advice from forum members which is amazing. Just wanna say ADVENT sounds incredible !!

Quite a fun challenge you gave us there Alan

I thought, I could offer a bit of inspiration, so here is a preset with 7 gapless scenes based on the TX star clean amp model

Screenshot%202016-05-08%2010.29.32.png

As you may be able to guess, I am riding the edge of the CPU limit with this one, so original, I had the Cavern reverb (nrml quality diffusion density 2) in the reverb block x position, but I had to go with a huge spring reverb instead.

Anyways - these are the scenes
Scene 1 - Volume swell (exp pedal 1 attached to the vol/pan block) - no amp used, clean tone shaped by GEQ block
Scene 2 - Funky clean - no amp
Scene 3 - Amp, Cab and Chorus - nothing else - edge of breakup
Scene 4 - Using filters to clean up the amp and raise the level backup, beautiful single note lines here
Scene 5 - Using the y state of the filters to make a treble booster kind of sound
Scene 6 - Using the BB pre to get a modern drive sound - reverb plus delay
Scene 7 - Using Ruckus drive to achieve the same thing - Multidelay

The presets are fairly even in level, but not perfect, so watch out for the volumes.
@Smittefar: Wow, thank you so much for your extremely kind efforts here! In addition to covering all my basic sounds (with built-in volume-pedal swell via expression pedal no less), I know this preset will be an amazing resource for my learning purposes too--on several levels.

I'll be tied up for most of the day and evening once again (this time with non-musical things, so I won't be in the studio), but I look most forward to loading up your preset and digging into both the sounds and how you built them as soon as possible. Will definitely let you know how things go, once I've had a chance to dig in.

All the best and thanks again,

Alan

Sounds like you're getting a heap of cool ideas/advice from forum members which is amazing. Just wanna say ADVENT sounds incredible !!
The amount of help I've been getting is indeed amazing. I really hope to be able to contribute as best I can too, which I'm sure will happen more frequently once I become more knowledgeable and experienced with the AX8 (and FAS technology in general).

Thanks very much for your kind words about Advent too!

All the best,

Alan

The amount of help I've been getting is indeed amazing. I really hope to be able to contribute as best I can too, which I'm sure will happen more frequently once I become more knowledgeable and experienced with the AX8 (and FAS technology in general).

Thanks very much for your kind words about Advent too!

All the best,

Alan
Not a problem at all . ADVENT has CD's i can buy online yes ?

Hey - I was not completely happy with the previous preset, so I made a few updates

Most importantly, I moved the vol/pan block, so it will also work with the amp sound, and I added amp+swell as scene 8

Screenshot%202016-05-08%2014.09.06.png

I also changed scenes 6 and 7 a little, since I was not happy with the drive blocks - I did not change the drives, I just adjusted the settings and changes the settings in the compressor.

Just because, I could not stop myself, I recorded a little clip. It contains all 8 scenes. I sound nothing like you, but I hope you get the idea. It is fairly easy to hear each scene change except for the one between scenes 6 and 7. That change occurs after 1 min 22 seconds.

I am happy to help, and I had lots of fun trying this. I learned a lot in the process as well. I think the filter blocks really shows their capability in scenes 3, 4, and 5.

Hey - I was not completely happy with the previous preset, so I made a few updates

Most importantly, I moved the vol/pan block, so it will also work with the amp sound, and I added amp+swell as scene 8

I also changed scenes 6 and 7 a little, since I was not happy with the drive blocks - I did not change the drives, I just adjusted the settings and changes the settings in the compressor.

Just because, I could not stop myself, I recorded a little clip. It contains all 8 scenes. I sound nothing like you, but I hope you get the idea. It is fairly easy to hear each scene change except for the one between scenes 6 and 7. That change occurs after 1 min 22 seconds.

I am happy to help, and I had lots of fun trying this. I learned a lot in the process as well. I think the filter blocks really shows their capability in scenes 3, 4, and 5.
Wow, this is awesome. Thanks so much! The tones sound really wonderful (even on my MacBook Pro) and I really can't wait to plug in the preset and have a go at everything. I really hope I can repay the favor sometime too!

Cheers,

Alan

Sounds great Smittefar, Is FW 3.03 going ok for you ?

Hi again,

@Smittefar: Did you happen to post your updated preset as well, by any chance? (I'd love to compare the results as is to your excellent audio sampler, if possible.)

All the best and thanks again for everything,

Alan

Sounds great Smittefar, Is FW 3.03 going ok for you ?
I've been using FW 3.03 as well, by the way, and it has been working at least as well as 2.02 and actually a bit better than 3.02 thus far. (I'm not nearly as advanced as Smittefar in my programming abilities, of course, but have been spending a lot of time building, editing, and tweaking presets over the past few days.) Cheers!

I've been using FW 3.03 as well, by the way, and it has been working at least as well as 2.02 and actually a bit better than 3.02 thus far. (I'm not nearly as advanced as Smittefar in my programming abilities, of course, but have been spending a lot of time building, editing, and tweaking presets over the past few days.) Cheers!
Cool. i'm still on 3.02 just a bit wary of the word Beta and (do so at your own risk) in the release notes

Back
Top Bottom