Axe-FX II Vs XL

How soon I needed it would also be a factor , If past product releases are any indicator , you won't be able to just buy an XL in March, my guess is ,there will be a wait list. Initially I though I would get one when the come out and sell my old one , but rethinking now,may not be in a big hurry!

New Id spend the cash for the XL. If you are already a happy FX II owner and already spent the funds as I am and did, Id keep what I have n use the piss outta it... :mrgreen

I am thinking I might eventually (a year from now) get an XL that just stays home. Use it to dial tones in, swap IR's, experiment etc... And then load load those over the gigging unit when they're ready. Saves me the stress of updating and dialing in a small time frame between gigs.

new? I'd have to see what the final street price is on them and then decide.
The new extra 'stuff" would mostly go to waste with me, my patches are all pretty simple and I
don't even use bank 2....at all, so I don't need more patch slots. The extended IR slots is interesting as is the FASlink
but again I'd have to see the final street price. In my current scenario , I'm more than happy with my current Axe Fx II mark I.

What i find attractive is the 512 free slots for IRs, that is A MUST HAVE!!! and you don't know that until you experience the advantages of have it.

This will be far more important when UltraREs IRs come out.

Cliff ALREADY SAID that this will NOT be affecting the new IR's for regular II users. Both units will be able to use them. I just do not need 500 presets when I use 20 NOW. Most people would not.

I don't think the new IR's are going to make a difference at all!

I'm probably going to get an XL then sell the one I don't need. I'm interested in the new input circuit, but I'm not sure if I'll notice any difference.

I'm not going to replace mine with an XL, but if I were buying new it'd be the XL

Same here. One other thing is that when you buy an XL you will also have to buy a new MFC-101 I guess because of the new connections. You will loose money on both your old Axe fx II and your old MFC-101 and you have to re buy both. That means huge costs and hassle.
Don't think anybody really 'needs' 512 presets. I don't care for more IR slots either. If I would buy it it would only be for the increased CPU and maybe more stability in switching because of the increased CPU (not sure if this is the case though).

But I think a lot of used Axe fx II's will show up in the add section here the next few months.
Hope I can control my XL GAS until the Axe III comes out.

ok, that might be a misconception of me then. If you want to make use of the new connections and you have the Mark 1 MFC-101 how will you do that?

doesn't the picture show the FASlink AND the ethercon/net connection?

ax-fx-ii-xl-announce.jpg

I must admit I am a bit surprised by the majority for the XL. At the same exact price, sure I'd take an XL,sure, I am a geek and love to have the latest toy in the shop.
But I would not pay a penny more for it, since I dont tour and never will and since I am a complete amateur I have diffculties to grasp the concept that one should need that much IR slots...
While I understand the interest the XL upgrades may for a touring pro, for all the others, they are pretty marginal improvements, no ? (this is a genuine question).

Everything that affects the modelling or sonic capabilities would be a completely different question of course...

Not many companies use their customers as vital input in R&D of their products as Fractal.
I see the XL as an intermediate upgrade that maybe will fit only a few, but maybe will bring important ideas etc. before a launch of a Mark III.
I'm still scratching the surface of my II but know that the super-users out there will collaborate with fractal for the best of all of us.

As a former TC electronics G-System user we had a "major" upgrade of the G-System (Red color and a input-circuit few of us could actually detect).
The upgraded XL goes beyond with major benefits in the memory-area (and 1.000.000 turns on the big knob ... sarcasm off)...

Same here. One other thing is that when you buy an XL you will also have to buy a new MFC-101 I guess because of the new connections. You will loose money on both your old Axe fx II and your old MFC-101 and you have to re buy both. That means huge costs and hassle.
Don't think anybody really 'needs' 512 presets. I don't care for more IR slots either. If I would buy it it would only be for the increased CPU and maybe more stability in switching because of the increased CPU (not sure if this is the case though).

But I think a lot of used Axe fx II's will show up in the add section here the next few months.
Hope I can control my XL GAS until the Axe III comes out.

I asked about CPU, per Cliff it's unchanged.
As I understand it, presets can have more instances of various effects IF there's enough room left to handle them.
UR cabs have been stated to reduce ~4% CPU usage vs current HiRes cabs as well.
UR cabs have been stated to be cross compatable on both units.

If you need/want the hardware upgrades and/or the extra preset & cab locations, and if the final price can be justified to you for your personal situation, go for the XL. If not, don't.

I wouldn't be so hasty to jump on the "II's will flood the used market!" bandwagon just yet.

Well I have no plans of selling my Axe FxII,but I do plan on buying a second unit sometime in the near future,so for what its worth I'll get the XL then. After all this isn't the software and functionality change internally,rather it's the external hardware that has sort of changed. So my second Fractal unit would definitely be the latest one.

Back
Top Bottom