Axe-FX II Vs XL

Greg H

Inspired
If you did not have an Axe FX-II currently, would you buy an FX or wait just a bit more and buy an FX XL?
In my case it looks like the FX really does what I need but I wonder if it would make more sense to buy the latest unit rather then buying one generation back (even though the basic functions are the same).
Thanks for your thoughts.

That was my first thought, too. But then I got thinking, the FX-II is a great device and does it make sense to pay a bit more for improvements that I probably don't need. Still thinking (but leaning towards the XL).

If you have the money get the new one but most musicians that have the Axe Fx 2 are perfectly happy with it and don't need to upgrade. If you really need 512 presets rock it. I personally use 30 or so presets.

If you are planning on using the FASlink and the new MFC, I would get the XL.

I would guess the dedicated midi thru on the XL will not have the latency of the AxeFx II thru. And if you wanted to use FASlink, the MFC -> AxeFx would have to be the first in your rigs midi chain since FASlink would be in play.

This would only apply if you are controlling other gear via midi and wanted the MFC and AxeFx to be first in the chain.

Questions... Do I need the extra features? am I going to be a power type user that would justify spending the extra cash if so then buy it! if not then don't pretty simple :lol.

Someone made a comment comparing the Axe II to the XL like the Standard to the Ultra. Feature wise I think the Ultra has quite a bit more then the Standard with respect to software. Here the difference seems to be more hardware With FASlink and the Optical value wheel and Flash mem.

I'd say that is your answer, "I probably don't need". If money is no object go for it otherwise use the extra cash for investing in other components you may need such as a foot controller, pedals, power amp, speakers, IRs, etc.

just wait and see what the axe fx market looks like in march. If you can get a axe fx II for like say $1800 or less then I would get that. If you want the latest and greatest and think you will use the FASlink then get the XL.

just wait and see what the axe fx market looks like in march. If you can get a axe fx II for like say $1800 or less then I would get that. If you want the latest and greatest and think you will use the FASlink then get the XL.

Thats interesting, i bought my Axe FX at $1,750.00 in like new condition, and i would not get the XL for the FASlink, i don't pretend to but the pedalboard, bit expensive and there are cheaper option out there. What i find attractive is the 512 free slots for IRs, that is A MUST HAVE!!! and you don't know that until you experience the advantages of have it.

This will be far more important when UltraREs IRs come out.

Like others have said it depends on what your needs are, so list your own pros and cons, weigh those against the cost, and make up your mind.

Me - I'd get the the XL for the hardware upgrades, the vastly increased user-cab slots, more instances of FX's and X/Y configurations on more FX's than with the Axe II.
I don't need the 384 presets I have now, so an increase in presets means nothing to me.

That said I very, very contend with my Axe II right now, and it's not going anywhere.

Thanks for the replies.
All good information.
I will keep gathering information and make a decision.
So far, more people seemed inclined in the direction of the XL.
It is a little bit difficult for me to judge the importance of some of the upgrades sense I am not a current user and am not sure what features I will be using the most. But I will keep reading and figure it out.

I'm not going to replace mine with an XL, but if I were buying new it'd be the XL
and this would be just for the FASlink because it looks so much more robust than an ethernet cable

in general, ethernet cables and RJ45 plugs and sockets are nasty and fragile

Back
Top Bottom