Axe-Fx II "Quantum" Rev 4.01 Public Beta

It is a very dark amp. Part of this is due to the tapers on the tone pots. With everything at noon the tone stack looks like a highshelf with a good amount of high frequency cut. The tone stack is a Baxandall which is more common in hi-fi gear than guitar amps. It lends a unique character to the tone. I don't have the amp anymore but I think I made note of where SV sets the tone and presence controls. I'll see if I can find it.

Edit: found my notes:
SV's personal settings are:
Drive: 7.5
Bass: 6
Mid: 4
Treble: 8
Presence: 8
I had to increase the Mid control on the model to about 5 to match the amp which indicates the mid pot on the amp was greater than spec. This is not unusual. Typical consumer-grade pots have pretty poor tolerance in both end-to-end resistance and resistance at the midpoint.
Which makes sense if it's a Baxandall since bass and treble boost will attenuate mids.

I respect Vai as a guitarist. He's a hell of a player, but I've always thought that his tone was terrible. Of course, that's just my opinion. However, I remember reading (a long time ago) that another professional guitarist commented on his skills being phenomenal, but his tone sucked. I can't remember who said it, but I chuckled in agreement. :D

OK, so you are an XL user so there may be a chance that he wouldn't have to remove it from those firmware updates.

And as for the "ME ME" generation comment, I think that's a bit silly since the old firmware versions were packed back into the latest versions as a consolation to the few who preferred those old sounds. Basically the MKI/II user's limited resources are being extinguished in order to accommodate a handful of people. I have no need for those old versions, how is that being anymore selfish than someone who wants them? And more to the point if there are no chances of updates with those old firmware versions than there is nothing to lose because they can't upgrade anyway.

As far as "wanting something without having to pay" I have no problem buying an XL if I find a need to do so. I was an early adopter of the AxeFXII and was on the wait-list pretty early. I've gotten more out of it than I paid for it and if something new comes out with the XL that I absolutely have to have then I'll upgrade, but it isn't like I decided to buy the first run because it was cheaper; it was because that was all that was available at the time. If I had the choice I would have bought the XL.

"Silly" or not the critique stands and the veridicality of my assertions is glaringly obvious in these pages...users of old equipment want users of new equipment to sacrifice for them "just cuz" and "you guys don't really need it" and "we want it free cuz free means having to do nothing or buy nothing." If that is not the mantra of the "me generation", then you are neglecting the data posted and seeing things through narrow goggles. Perhaps another pair of Kantian spectacles is in order sir.

Yes you are the only one.

Count
You are attempting to make this issue convoluted. It isn't. I enjoy being able to use presets that were specially designed for me by other artists without changing FW in a time consuming fashion. For example, Moke's presets were designed using 3.03 software and they do not sound as good using 4.0. I have other presets that sound fantastic with 2.0 but terrible with 3.03. I LOVE the ability to use ALL of these presets quickly. The XL+ allows this to happen and I want to continue to use this great feature. I don't want to give it up simply because others who don't want to purchase new equipment are being selfish. I pay for my selfishness and it doing so promote the viability of FAS as a company. If they come out with Axe Fx III today then I will make the purchase. They have more than earned my loyalty. The only individuals who seem to be arguing about this are the one's with equipment other than XL or XL+.

Devil's advocate for a moment....

Currently there are 4 selectable prior firmware versions to choose from using the 'firmware version' parameter. How many more versions are likely to be added and how many added versions are likely to fit before the XL platforms boot ROM has no more room for further development (each firmware version is larger than the prior on its own without the prior modeling versions added)? At what point will adding additional legacy modeling versions be limited (a maximum number of legacy modeling versions supported for this parameter)?

Let's say that maximum number is twice the number available now. And let's say Cliff announces this limitation when that number has been reached (4 firmware updates with significant modeling improvements from now). What would happen with these available for selection legacy modeling versions? One would have to go if a scenario such as this were to play out. But which legacy version should be removed?

One would assume it would be the earliest version in the list, yes? If some users still have important presets tied to that version they are likely to lobby for some other version to be removed for many of the same reasons presented in this current debate (to keep or lose this parameter) as to why it's critical that the legacy modeling version parameter not be removed. If the practice of leaving presets tied to older modeling versions continues the there will be users in favor of keeping each supported version when such a limit is reached and an older version has to go.

In this hypothetical situation some users will lose that older version upon which they rely to keep older presets frozen in the past. At next update the same will happen again, and so on for as long as Cliff continues to improve the modeling code. This very scenario could conceivably reoccur with each additional modeling advancement. Will those who depend on versions that must be removed when new firmware is released feel the way Mk I/II owners do now. Will they feel that their legacy dependency trumps the dependencies others have developed by leaving important presets tied to legacy code? Would they feel as though continuing development has left them behind? Should they be told to be happy it was supported for so long? Should others have a later modeling version that they depend on be expected to drop that particular feature/version so those dependent upon an earlier version may continue to receive updates without impact to their presets?

The above, as stated at the start, was merely a hypothetical. Just food for thought.

Personally I have no real position in this current debate. I'll be happy with whatever occurs. I'd be happy if further firmware updates are made available for the Mk I/II platform (new firmware is always fun to explore and advancements in the amp modeling are always much appreciated). Just the same I'd be happy if the Mk I/II has reached EOL for further development updates (especially considering how amazing the current modeling sounds and feels) as this would mean that my Mk I is a mature, stable platform with a nearly inexhaustible number of parameters, features, effects types, amp/cab combinations, yet to explore - so much so that I may be y not exhaust them before we see an AxeFX III announcement.

As has always been the case during my years as a FAS customer I'm grateful to Cliff and FAS for their time and efforts in continually improving an already amazing product. :)

Count

Devil's advocate for a moment....

Currently there are 4 selectable prior firmware versions to choose from using the 'firmware version' parameter. How many more versions are likely to be added and how many added versions are likely to fit before the XL platforms boot ROM has no more room for further development (each firmware version is larger than the prior on its own without the prior modeling versions added)? At what point will adding additional legacy modeling versions be limited (a maximum number of legacy modeling versions supported for this parameter)?

Let's say that maximum number is twice the number available now. And let's say Cliff announces this limitation when that number has been reached (4 firmware updates with significant modeling improvements from now). What would happen with these available for selection legacy modeling versions? One would have to go if a scenario such as this were to play out. But which legacy version should be removed?

One would assume it would be the earliest version in the list, yes? If some users still have important presets tied to that version they are likely to lobby for some other version to be removed for many of the same reasons presented in this current debate (to keep or lose this parameter) as to why it's critical that the legacy modeling version parameter not be removed. If the practice of leaving presets tied to older modeling versions continues the there will be users in favor of keeping each supported version when such a limit is reached and an older version has to go.

In this hypothetical situation some users will lose that older version upon which they rely to keep older presets frozen in the past. At next update the same will happen again, and so on for as long as Cliff continues to improve the modeling code. This very scenario could conceivably reoccur with each additional modeling advancement. Will those who depend on versions that must be removed when new firmware is released feel the way Mk I/II owners do now. Will they feel that their legacy dependency trumps the dependencies others have developed by leaving important presets tied to legacy code? Would they feel as though continuing development has left them behind? Should they be told to be happy it was supported for so long? Should others have a later modeling version that they depend on be expected to drop that particular feature/version so those dependent upon an earlier version may continue to receive updates without impact to their presets?

The above, as stated at the start, was merely a hypothetical. Just food for thought.

Personally I have no real position in this current debate. I'll be happy with whatever occurs. I'd be happy if further firmware updates are made available for the Mk I/II platform (new firmware is always fun to explore and advancements in the amp modeling are always much appreciated). Just the same I'd be happy if the Mk I/II has reached EOL for further development updates (especially considering how amazing the current modeling sounds and feels) as this would mean that my Mk I is a mature, stable platform with a nearly inexhaustible number of parameters, features, effects types, amp/cab combinations, yet to explore - so much so that I may be y not exhaust them before we see an AxeFX III announcement.

As has always been the case during my years as a FAS customer I'm grateful to Cliff and FAS for their time and efforts in continually improving an already amazing product. :)

Well thought out sir...I will agree that my support of FAS will never tire...so if Cliff decides this option has become obsolete, I will defer to the Maestro!

I think there will be a lot of unhappy people if the next version of firmware is not available to the Mark I and Mark II users and those with XL's start posting hundreds of posts about how freakin amazing the new firmware is.

I think there will be a lot of unhappy people if the next version of firmware is not available to the Mark I and Mark II users and those with XL's start posting hundreds of posts about how freakin amazing the new firmware is.

...as soon as I get out they pull me back in! Somebody call a waaaambulance...if you are upset upgrade and buy an XL! I would love to have a 1958 Les Paul but I am stuck with my 70's mode...I think I will call up the company today and cry about it...

Currently there are 4 selectable prior firmware versions to choose from using the 'firmware version' parameter. How many more versions are likely to be added and how many added versions are likely to fit before the XL platforms boot ROM has no more room for further development (each firmware version is larger than the prior on its own without the prior modeling versions added)?

Who knows?

At what point will adding additional legacy modeling versions be limited (a maximum number of legacy modeling versions supported for this parameter)?

Who knows?

One would have to go if a scenario such as this were to play out. But which legacy version should be removed?

If one has to go, I'd probably prefer it be the earliest as opposed to the most current, but it's not up to me.

Undoubtedly there will be people who have presets tied to both, early revisions and the most current firmware, but if one or more modeling versions have to go then you may as well toss a coin because there's no clear-cut decision that'll appease everyone.

In this hypothetical situation some users will lose that older version upon which they rely to keep older presets frozen in the past. At next update the same will happen again, and so on for as long as Cliff continues to improve the modeling code. This very scenario could conceivably reoccur with each additional modeling advancement. Will those who depend on versions that must be removed when new firmware is released feel the way Mk I/II owners do now.

Maybe, but I'd prefer to maintain the rollback functionality for as long as possible. If the day comes that XL users are in the same position that MK users are now, I'm sure many of those who support rollback functionality would likely be willing to have it removed.

My current position is, if removing the rollback functionality will provide numerous (20 or more) additional updates for MK users, then I think expunging it is worth the trade off. However, if it only provides a very limited upgrade path (a few more updates) then I'd rather just keep things the way they are.

That's called evolution. Quantum firmware is at an evolving point, and unfortunately the MK I/II units are drawing dangerously close to not being capible of advancing with that evolution. It will eventually happen to the XL as well, and we will have to deal with that when the time comes. At some point each of us will be faced with the "stick with what I have and be more than happy" or "upgrade to the newest and greatest hardware and continue the ride". It is inevitable for all of us.

...as soon as I get out they pull me back in! Somebody call a waaaambulance...if you are upset upgrade and buy an XL! I would love to have a 1958 Les Paul but I am stuck with my 70's mode...I think I will call up the company today and cry about it...
The only reason you are not whining is because you already have an XL. I have an AX8 so it is no skin off my back. But I totally understand the point of view of the Mark I/II owners.

This wasnt directed at you anyway.

This is in now way complaining.........but,

It does put me in a tough spot. If I stay with my Mark 1 (which is awesome), I won't be able to make any presets with the newer amp modeling, newer amp models, and other new effects and possible controller enhancements. Which will hurt my little preset store.

If I upgrade, I will have to sell my Mark 1 (at the new lower price that will happen as the market gets swamped with other people upgrading) to be able to afford it. Then any presets made with any new firmware will not run on the Mark 1s and 2s. Which will hurt my little preset store.

Was going to try to get an AX8 early next year. But not sure what I will do now? Would love to get an XL+ and keep the Mark 1, so that I could make stuff for both when possible. But I don't see that as a possibility at this time?

Whatever happens, It's been a great run though and thank Cliff and all at @Fractal Audio for the relentless pursuit of tone and great updates and support.

The only reason you are not whining is because you already have an XL. I have an AX8 so it is no skin off my back. But I totally understand the point of view of the Mark I/II owners.
WTF? Your comment is...oh forget it! I give! Let me just buy you an XL+ because you are so deserving. In fact, I think FAS should buy all of the needy Mark I/II owners an XL+ so that they can have just what I have. After all, it is not fair! Price be damned. Oh noooooo....The Mark I/II users deserve everything that the XL+ users have and deserve all the bells, whistle, and privileges (without paying an extra nickel) and FAS has no business in the first place offering a more expensive product. Whining? Oh but you weren't directing that at me...

WTF? Your comment is...oh forget it! I give! Let me just buy you an XL+ because you are so deserving. In fact, I think FAS should buy all of the needy Mark I/II owners an XL+ so that they can have just what I have. After all, it is not fair! Price be damned. Oh noooooo....The Mark I/II users deserve everything that the XL+ users have and deserve all the bells, whistle, and privileges (without paying an extra nickel) and FAS has no business in the first place offering a more expensive product. Whining? Oh but you weren't directing that at me...
Dude. Chill out.

I dont want to argue with you. How about you take a minute and try to see the situation from my side and I will do the same.

Gday Moke,

Or.....

You could sell the MK1 now before the supposed rush, get an XL+, and have a chat with algrenadine (hope I got the name right!) about a converter that you can pass presets to, that spits out ax8 ax fx mk1,2, XL & XL+ Versions. That would be an economical and elegant way forward. I guess the risk is that the conversions may not translate 100% but that's what bet testers are for!

Thanks
Pauly

This is in now way complaining.........but,

It does put me in a tough spot. If I stay with my Mark 1 (which is awesome), I won't be able to make any presets with the newer amp modeling, newer amp models, and other new effects and possible controller enhancements. Which will hurt my little preset store.

If I upgrade, I will have to sell my Mark 1 (at the new lower price that will happen as the market gets swamped with other people upgrading) to be able to afford it. Then any presets made with any new firmware will not run on the Mark 1s and 2s. Which will hurt my little preset store.

Was going to try to get an AX8 early next year. But not sure what I will do now? Would love to get an XL+ and keep the Mark 1, so that I could make stuff for both when possible. But I don't see that as a possibility at this time?

Whatever happens, It's been a great run though and thank Cliff and all at @Fractal Audio for the relentless pursuit of tone and great updates and support.
Or....

Gday Moke,

Or.....

You could sell the MK1 now before the supposed rush, get an XL+, and have a chat with algrenadine (hope I got the name right!) about a converter that you can pass presets to, that spits out ax8 ax fx mk1,2, XL & XL+ Versions. That would be an economical and elegant way forward. I guess the risk is that the conversions may not translate 100% but that's what bet testers are for!

Thanks
Pauly

Or....

Back
Top Bottom