Axe-Fx II "Quantum" Rev 4.01 Public Beta

. I agree that the Pi model doesn't really match a Big Muff (AFAIK it was never G3'd), but it's cool in its own way with some tweaking.
I completely agree yek. ;)
There is much work to do.
Also in the family Big Muff. :cool:
Parameter "Effect Type".
Bi Muff Triangle.JPG Bi Muff Ram's Head73.JPG Bi Muff Civil War.JPG Bi Muff Sovtek Tall font 1s.JPG
At least for historical pedals. :rolleyes:

Desire already expressed by many users.
Axe amazing car, I do not think you can stop with the Big Muff.

Christmas is near....;)
Cliff out of courtesy, expect a big Christmas package. :D:D:D:D

Last edited:
I agree that the Pi model doesn't really match a Big Muff (AFAIK it was never G3'd), but it's cool in its own way with some tweaking.
That's because the tone knob works differently on the original pedals than how it's implemented in the axe fx.
In the axe model it's a low pass filter (like the one you find on tubescreamers)* while the real muffs have a sort of tilt eq centered around 1000 Hz and with a deep notch at that frequency.
At halfway it's flat, fully clockwise it cuts lows and boosts highs, counterclockwise it boosts highs and cuts lows.

EDIT: shelving filter actually, my bad. In the graphs below the slope on the high frequencies doesn't change

Last edited:
That's because the tone knob works differently on the original pedals than how it's implemented in the axe fx.
In the axe model it's a low pass filter (like the one you find on tubescreamers) while the real muffs have a sort of tilt eq centered around 1000 Hz and with a deep notch at that frequency.
At halfway it's flat, fully clockwise it cuts lows and boosts highs, counterclockwise it boosts highs and cuts lows.

That is incorrect.

That is incorrect.
I tried to measure this difference by setting up the tonematch block as a fft analyzer, reference is white noise coming from the synth block, local in the first 2 images below is the spectrum of the axe fx muff model with tone at 0 and 10, last 2 images are coming from my ram's head clone with tone at 0 and 10.
I also tested with a sine wave at 100Hz (at a level comparable to guitar level) to see if the low frequencies are affected by the tone control:
In the afx model the output level in the vu meter basically remains the same (actually goes up by almost 1dB with the tone at 10), in the ram's head it drops by about 17dB

The big muff tone circuit is described well in this article and it matches what I experience with my real pedal: http://www.electrosmash.com/big-muff-pi-analysis

AFX Muff Tone 0.JPG AFX Muff Tone 10.JPG Ram's Head Tone 0.JPG Ram's Head Tone 10.JPG

Our model uses a shelving filter but it's not based on a Ram's Head version.
Yes I know the model is based on a triangle but it had to be a pretty rare version since all schematics I've seen have a very similar tone circuit to my ram's head, usually only the center frequency and the notch depth change between different versions.
Anyway it's already easy enough to simulate this in the axe with a filter set to tilt eq and frequency around 1000Hz ;)

No, the Tone control works the same as the modeled pedal. The Bass, Mid and Treble controls are a generic EQ that can be used in addition to the Tone control to further shape the sound.
So on a pedal like BB or AC booster the bass and treble knobs are modeled like the pedal? In that case we should leave tone at noon? (Understanding we can use it for further tone shaping)

Just use your ears and leave it were ever sounds best for you, thats the only rule.
Never said I had an issue just trying to understand. On the forum we use that phrase all the time just use your ears. What sounds good is all that matters but if we understand how some of this stuff works we can may turn a few less knobs because we grabbed the right knobs first instead of just randomly turning and hoping to find a sweet spot

Never said I had an issue just trying to understand. On the forum we use that phrase all the time just use your ears. What sounds good is all that matters but if we understand how some of this stuff works we can may turn a few less knobs because we grabbed the right knobs first instead of just randomly turning and hoping to find a sweet spot

Oohh yes, sorry. It's just that for example in the amps i know only 1/3 of what most of the advance parameters do, but i never ever stay with the default state of the amps, i really don't like em that much if i don't turn 6 or 8 knobs i have come to learn they actually make the amps sound more of what i'm trying to achieve but i have no clue what they are really doing in theory inside the amp, same with the drive pedals, i just move things around until they work great with the input of the amp and the volume knob of my guitar.

It's been promised that we will get a full comprehensive detailed guide of all the FXs in the fractal units, something Fractal has been working on for some time now IIRC.

I think there is an argument to be made for both "sides" of the issue. Sometimes too much knowledge is a bad thing. Sometimes because we know what we shouldn't do, or what we believe we should do, we miss out on those, to quote Bob Ross, "Happy Accidents". We adjust things in a manner that makes zero practical sense, and that anyone with a clue as to how real amps work would never even think of, but it ends up giving this great tone.

Its a fine line between an art and a science. We don't want to craft tones out of dumb luck, but we also don't want to limit ourselves.

I generally like to create a tone, and then try to find the reasons behind why it worked. That way I know what I came out with was organic and a natural process, but I then do like to understand why that worked, so I can know how to utilize what I did in future patches

Back
Top Bottom