Axe-Fx II Firmware 9.00 and MFC-101 Firmware 2.15 Available

What kind of problems have you all had with updating the mfc? I've read that some people had things change.Is it a big deal or something that cliff and fractal will fix.

P.S Thanks Cliff and to everyone at Fractal for all of these upgrades for tha Axe II !

No biggie, IAs were are all re-arranged. Just needed to re-assign blocks to IAs to put them back in correct order as I have my MFC laid out. Took 5 minutes.

Maybe to do with new Scene IAs available.

Thanks so much for the update! Curious. Are there many changes between 9.0beta and 9.0 release as far as amp modeling? My patches that I tweaked for 9.0beta sound fantastic but have changed a bit for 9.0 release. Seem like there is a bit more low end and slightly more muffled or something. I didn't expect much of a change between beta and release, so I had to revert back to beta just for a gig this Friday and my sound was back. Just wondering if there is a parameter I should be looking at adjusting, or if I simply need to re-tweak again?

You'll probably just have to do some tweaking. On my go-to Brit Brown patch, I had to substantially lower the drive in my TS-808 block and tweak the amp EQ a little bit for more top end. Once I did that, it sounded way better than before. Also, I probably still need to raise the LPF threshold in the cab sim a little bit. 9.0 release is definitely darker sounding than the beta (never used any prior firmware versions), but it's just plain better once you dial it in.

The low-end seems "spongier" now, which is perfect--it means you can use less gain across the board and still get great sounds. Palm mutes are unbelievable.

You'll probably just have to do some tweaking. On my go-to Brit Brown patch, I had to substantially lower the drive in my TS-808 block and tweak the amp EQ a little bit for more top end. Once I did that, it sounded way better than before. Also, I probably still need to raise the LPF threshold in the cab sim a little bit. 9.0 release is definitely darker sounding than the beta (never used any prior firmware versions), but it's just plain better once you dial it in.

The low-end seems "spongier" now, which is perfect--it means you can use less gain across the board and still get great sounds. Palm mutes are unbelievable.

Thanks. Glad it wasn't just me that noticed it.

Thanks so much for the update! Curious. Are there many changes between 9.0beta and 9.0 release as far as amp modeling? My patches that I tweaked for 9.0beta sound fantastic but have changed a bit for 9.0 release. Seem like there is a bit more low end and slightly more muffled or something. I didn't expect much of a change between beta and release, so I had to revert back to beta just for a gig this Friday and my sound was back. Just wondering if there is a parameter I should be looking at adjusting, or if I simply need to re-tweak again?

Notice the comp defaults to 5, I think on a lot of amps which was on 0 in 9 beta, probably has something to do with it, Might try lowering comp to see?

Notice the comp defaults to 5, I think on a lot of amps which was on 0 in 9 beta, probably has something to do with it, Might try lowering comp to see?
Ahh that could certainly be it if that was the case. Though I believe I did check the comp parameter and it was low/off in my patches, but could very well be wrong.

Definitely 'spongier,' I never new what that term really 'felt' like until 9.0 dropped... Distortion takes less picking effort now (at least via headphones, haven't tried it live yet). It sounded more like a mic'd up amp that ever before! If things sound a little darker just kick up the Definition knob... It almost makes it feel like you've dropped a drive pedal in there without losing your low end (which is the main reason why I never use a drive block in my chain unless for a special effect). Best firmware yet!

I really like the pick attack. Turning the Comp up to 8% and the Pick attack up to 10% on the AC30 sim and its just come to life for me.

+1

I noticed last night that on one of my high gain patches (USA Lead 2+ sim) that those 2 parameters seemed to work well together. I had the Comp at around 10%, Pick Attack maxed(!), and the tone seemed to become much more 3D sounding. Single notes on the high strings sounded thicker and had more character.

Liking the update. Regarding MFC-101 2.15 I wonder : Was the ALT(ernate) preset option removed?
I can't seem to find it anymore in the menu's?

Cool, now I can play "Stairway to Heaven" and "Smoke on the Water" with a spongier, pickier "botiquey" tone!

Thanks for the update and the hard work. I'm looking forward to experiencing the new changes.

Atomica 2 has less gain now... always seemed like too much gain (at 5 it was crazy gain), so maybe they fixed it to be more accurate.

I noticed a problem with a clean patch.. It was on USA clean (i believe) and when i tried to zero the amp model (double press bypass) it would get super gained out and require a reboot.

Before there was always a slight delay (dropout) when switching between presets. As far as I understand having scenes fixed that (as it says in the release notes). So since we can only have two amps loaded per preset does it mean I can only have 2 amps to choose from per every 8 scenes?

Last edited:
Before there was always a slight delay (dropout) when switching between presets. As far as I understand having scenes fixed that (as it says in the release notes). So since we can only to amps loaded per preset does it mean I can only have choose 2 amps to choose from per every 8 scenes?

Yes, see this threads video: http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-fx-ii-discussion/61105-tutorial-using-scenes-axe-fx-ii-mfc-101-a.html

He demonstrates the switching is absolutely without dropout within the preset.

The little I got to play around last night it sounds fantastic! I always found the Boogie models quite dull sounding. Whenever there's an update those are some of the first ones I check out being old Boogie player. Maybe it's just me but what I heard last night was a major improvement to those models (USA Lead2+). Just with the default amp settings it was immediately noticable. This box just gets better and better!

Dang it! I just read about the update and have to leave shortly for a 4 day weekend in Manhattan with my beautiful wife. I won't be able to try out FW9 until next Monday. Wait a minute... that's really messed up... :|

"Music is the best" - Zappa

Peace,
The little I got to play around last night it sounds fantastic! I always found the Boogie models quite dull sounding. Whenever there's an update those are some of the first ones I check out being old Boogie player. Maybe it's just me but what I heard last night was a major improvement to those models (USA Lead2+). Just with the default amp settings it was immediately noticable. This box just gets better and better!

I have not checked out my boogie patches yet but I'm hoping to find this as well, seeing I came from being a Mark IV'A" owner before I went Axe FX II.

Back
Top Bottom