Axe-Fx II Firmware 9.00 and MFC-101 Firmware 2.15 Available

Holy palm muting, Batman!

The low-end response is way improved over v.9 beta. Lot more gain from the same settings, though. But once you lower the gain level a bit, it gets good. Really good. :D

Thanks so much Cliff and the FAS team, awesome!!!
Unfortunately I'm right in the middle of moving house up to Brisbane....... oh well I'll survive :)
Thanks again
Cheers

If something is changed from the last posting of release notes:

Axe-Fx II Firmware Release Notes
Added eight “scenes” to each preset. Each scene allows for different combinations of bypass states and X/Y state (if applicable) for the effects. For example, Scene 1 may have everything bypassed while Scene 2 has several effects engaged. Furthermore, Scene 3 may be identical to Scene 2 except that one or more blocks have a different X/Y state. Scenes allow the user to easily switch between various combinations of bypass and X/Y states within a given preset. Furthermore, switching scenes does not disturb the routing so spillover is unaffected. Additionally, each scene stores the output level independently allowing for different volumes between scenes. The output level for the FX Loop is also stored per scene.
Scenes can be manually selected when in the Layout or Recall menu using the ‘A’ Quick Control knob.
NOTE: spillover may be affected if switching between X/Y states if drastically different algorithms exist between the two states. For example, if one scene has a Digital Delay and the next scene uses a Tape Delay, spillover will probably not function correctly as these modes use different algorithms.
Scenes can be changed via MIDI CC (or via Program Change when using preset mapping). There are three CCs available for scene selection: Scene Select, Scene Increment and Scene Decrement. Scene Select allows directly selecting a desired scene via the CC Value. The scene selected is the CC Value plus 1. For example, to select Scene 2 the data value would be 1. Scene Increment and Decrement step through the eight scenes whenever a value greater than 63 on the configured CC is received, wrapping around at the limits. Additionally, mapping mode allows mapping a PC message to not only a preset but also a given scene.
NOTE: When changing scenes via MIDI CC the bypass and X/Y states can revert to the states present when the preset was saved by setting “SCENE REVERT ON CC” to ON in the I/O->MIDI menu. This allows engaging or bypassing various effects in a scene and then reverting to the original state. Changing the scene via Axe-Edit or the front panel does not revert (as then you would not be able to edit scenes without saving prior to changing scenes).
The Global Bypass continuous controller parameter has been replaced with the Scene Select continuous controller parameter since Scene Select can accomplish everything Global Bypass could ever do. Note that using Scene Select in place of Global Bypass will probably select Scene #8 (if the CC has values of 0 or 127). Existing presets will have all blocks engaged in the new scenes so the operation should be identical to Global Bypass.
New power amp modeling with improved dynamic response. This new modeling features improved transformer/plate interaction modeling resulting in better feel and a punchier response. The Supply Sag parameter is more responsive as a result. Additionally, crossover and transformer hysteresis distortion modeling is improved resulting in more overtones when playing softly. This improves
controlled feedback performance and yields a more aggressive tone at lower Power Tube Bias settings. The Global menu allows the choice of Version 9.xx, 8.xx or 7.xx modeling to suit individual tastes. Note that Version 9.xx is slightly quieter so don’t be swayed by Fletcher-Munson effects when evaluating differences.
Greatly improved cathode follower modeling. The cathode follower modeling now varies the amount of distortion in addition to compression. This results in a more dynamic attack, improved feel and more “punch” and “thunk” (since this also creates low frequency energy into the power amp). The amount of cathode follower affect is controlled, as always, by the COMP parameter in the Amp block. Note that the higher the COMP value, the more effective distortion on sustained notes. Therefore as you increase COMP, you may want to decrease Drive. Also note that excessive values can result in pumping or blocking distortion. Note that the “cathode follower effect” occurs even in common cathode stages as well so even amps that don’t have cathode followers may exhibit some cathode follower-like effect.
Added PICK ATTACK parameter to Amp block. This parameter controls a sophisticated dynamic range processor that operates on leading edge transients. Negative values reduce pick attack while positive values enhance it.
The Amp block Type parameter is now a dedicated page to facilitate selecting the desired type in light of the copious models available. Selection is afforded via the Value knob as well as the Navigation buttons. The list can be sorted numerically or alphabetically with the type of sort being set in the Global menu.
The BOOST switch is now a dedicated knob and also modifiable so it can be activated remotely.
The FAT and BRT switches in the Amp block menu now always display text. When the switch is active the text is highlighted.
The SAT switch function has been added to the Pre page in the Amp block menu under the COMP knob.
Set TMA block Resolution mode to High by default. Also set Reference Source to Input 2 by default.
Compressor block now has two Pedal types. “Pedal 1” is the same as before while “Pedal 2” uses a different algorithm which is smoother and pumps less.
Added Time Offset parameter to Delay block Mono Delay mode. This parameter allows adding up to 100ms of delay to the right wet signal which can be used for widening effects.
Added Badger 30 model based on 30W version of Suhr Badger. This model has been placed in the position formerly held by the Spawn Fastrod model (see below).
All three “gears” of the Splawn Quickrod have now been modeled. The Spawn Fastrod has been renamed “Spawn Q-Rod 3rd”. “Spawn Q-Rod 1st” and “Spawn Q-Rod 2nd” models have been added. All three models now appear in order starting at position 101.
Added “Brit Silver” model based on a 100W Marshall Silver Jubilee.
Added “Spawn Nitrous” model based on a Splawn Nitro with KT-88 power tubes.
Added “FAS Crunch” amp model. This is our take on the ultimate British-sounding amp. More dynamic and open than a Plexi, but with more gain.
Added “Two Stone J-35” amp model based on a Two Rock Jet 35. The amp was modeled in the lead mode with the “Bypass” switch engaged. The Bypass switch bypasses the input tone stack to give a more focused lead sound.
Added “Fox ODS” amp model based on a Fuchs ODS-50.
Added “Hot Kitty” amp model based on a BadCat Hot Cat 30R.
Added “Band-Commander” amp model based on a 1968 Fender Band-Master.
Added “Super Verb” amp model based on a 1964 Fender Super Reverb.
Added “Vibrato-King” amp model based on a Fender Vibro-King.
Added “Gibtone Scout” amp model based on a Gibson GA17RVT “Scout”.
Fixed several incorrect values in Wrecker 1 model.
Numerous MIDI enhancements to support Axe-Edit TNP.
Improved preset switching time and reduced display lag after switching presets.
Fixed incorrect bias value in Spawn Fastrod model.
Fixed unable to access certain parameters in Vocoder block.
Fixed wrong parameter mapping for LF/HF Mic Spacing in Rotary block.
Fixed modifiers do not always copy when copying an effect from a different preset.

No Axe Edit Yet? :(

马上... this is chinese (DUH) and literally means "on horse", meaning "on the way". Since Chinese characters was created long long time ago, something was on the way, carried by messenger etc... it was "on the horse"... in this modern world the characters are still the same and it means...

.... soon...

;)

I just updated my Axe and MFC. Having never tried 9 beta, my first impressions are 1). It sounds great and 2). Wow, lotta new amps. Really dig the new Fenders, especially the Super Verb. Wow! It's gonna take a lot of quality time to go through all the newbie amps.

Pick attack: amazing, even a subtle value increase makes a big audible difference with a cleaner amp. Definitely gives more thunk or knock.. but I'm not quite sure how much of this setting I like best yet.

Couple of minor weird things. Before you ask - no Axe-Edit or USB connected for this, realtime sysex is 'All' and MFC connected though.

1). Some of my old presets now make an audible thump sound when switching between them. Never did that before. Same 'thump' when using the MFC or the value wheel, and it happens even with nothing plugged into the input jack. I scrolled through a bunch of factory presets too, most are still silent but a few very effect-laden ones make other forms of self-noise. (sounds even with no guitar plugged into the input jack). Up around the low 100s in Bank A there are several. Did they always do that? Try 'Beautiful Eights, 'FilterRing Funk' or 'W@rped Vinyl ABCD'.

2). MFC - my IA assignments got all scrambled after update to 2.15.

I don't consider these to be a big deal.. my old presets need a rebuild anyway, I don't really care about factory presets. MFC was quick to go through and re-assign my IAs.

Whoa what an amp update! A custom model, a few boutique amps, couple of rockers, the Gibson, and a buncha Fenders??? Way cool...talk about variety and getting a ton of new toys to play with.

I'm glad I read this thread after I shut down the rig for the night...I'd be up way too late if I got going on all this stuff...

As always, FAS overdelivers! Thanks...I can't wait to try this release out.

Excited to try it out - thanks for the continued efforts.

Considering how deep this is getting, ever thought about making this a post-secondary education program?

Just axin' :)
V.

thank you FAS!
after a few set backs (MFC needed a reset and all new IA assignments) I'm back in business.
seems like there is more gain on tap , going to need some minor tweaks.
the scenes functioanlity is killer ( I never went to 9.0 beta) so this is all new to me
and very cool

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom