Anyone still using a tube amp?

I sold all my tube amps since getting the FM9. But lately I've been thinking about getting another tube amp. Does anyone still use tube amps now and then, or do most just use their Fractal?
Yes.

Though last amps/preamps purchased have been solid state. I really like simple when working on something musically that doesn’t require more.

Like for many, the amps and pedals stay for comparison, reality check, and nostalgia.

Thanks to everyone who commented! It has helped me a lot. I will stick with Fractal. As I thought about it, it really doesn't make a lot of sense to use an amp and have a clean tone and an OD tone, when the Fractal gives me literally everything. That, and the weight of tube amps.

Thanks!

I live in an apartment so I always ran my tube amps into a load box into a processor into a headphone amp, but I don't do that anymore. I do use my Carvin Steve Vai Legacy tube preamp pedal in conjunction with my FM3 a lot.

I use tube amps 90% of the time. My main amp is a Komet Vimana 25. I also use a Bruno Cowtipper 22 and JCA Circuits GR1.6 when I don't want to take or don't have room for a head/cab set up. I have been using AXEFX products for effects since the FX8 came out. Mainly using the FM9 but occasionally use the AXE3/FC12.

Last edited:
I sold everything years ago with the exception of a Baron B60 and a Baron Snott watt. Awesome custom amps that you can’t get anymore. Basically, modern hot rodded marshally tones or vintage marshally tones. Ironically, since the B60 is so loud I run it into a Two notes then into the AxeIII out my studio monitors. Still sounds great but then I have that old cranked high gain amp noise to attenuate. The low noise floor on Axe modeled amps is something I forget about but always appreciate.

I play a Boogie Mk-IV and a Simul Satellite together with my Axe-FX III using the 4-Cable Method (well, actually 5 in case of a stereo rig). Sounds awesome - love the 'punch' of the 'real thing'. For home rehearsaling and FX-III programming, I have configured an amp block and a cabinet block with an IR to match my Mk-IV as closely as possible. All of my presets are configured so that I can switch seamlessly between the real amp and the amp block using a control switch programmed to the FC-12. Works fine :)

Yea, I have four amps still- two Swarts (an SST-30 and the stereo SM-20), and two Carol Anns (a Tucana 3, and a Satin). I usually use my Axe as a virtual pedalboard- right in front of the Satin, 4CM with the Tucana, and as a w/d/w master pedalboard for the Swarts, which I usually run together- guitar to axe to SST-30, out a line from a tone king attenuator, back to the axe, then back out to the SM-20 for stereo wet goodness. It's huge sounding.
And in the music room, Axe straight to monitors.
At church, straight to FOH. The axe does it all perfectly.

I do a lot of sub gigs, weddings, parties, clubs etc. And there are times, few and far between, when I will bring out my Headstrong Lil' King S amp and 906 mic, my pedalboard and a guitar. More than 90% of the time I am using my FM9 and I bring out my I.E.M. and if necessary I'll use them with my iPad to make my own mix. I'll never get rid of my amps, it took me Over the course of my life I've been fortunate to buy them and it just doesn't make sense to sell them off, yet.

Yes.

Though last amps/preamps purchased have been solid state. I really like simple when working on something musically that doesn’t require more.

Like for many, the amps and pedals stay for comparison, reality check, and nostalgia.
Yes. This is why I really enjoy the Ethos Clean Fusion Deluxe. I can run that straight into my FRFR and really enjoy the result. And, the FX loop works great.

Still have a few- Some old Marshalls and Fenders, an Egnater Mod 100 and a Soldano Astro 20. They don't get used much, but I fire them up every once in a while to check my ears and sounds vs the modeling. I've sold a bunch too but kept the ones I really liked or would be impossible to replace. The Astro 20 is a glorious little amp and running it 4CM with the Fractal gear just adds so much possibility. It may be a little redundant because the Fractal's Soldano models can nail this amp no problem, but it's still fun. As good as Fractal's modeling is, and has been my live rig for a good while, I still like amps (at home). I think it's the smell of the dust (and God know's what else) cookin' on the tubes--it's a nostalgia thing for me ;).

I still use tube amps regularly. I love my AFX and use it all the time, too. To me, they're all just tools and what tool is right for the job at hand is what I'll use.

Another way I look at it... take the most modern electric guitar you can think of, amazing piece of kit that it may be, but does it make a late '50s Les Paul, Strat, or Tele any less valid? Leo got so many things right with those early '50s Teles, and so many things right with the late '50s Bassmans that everyone copied. To me, Fractal is the logical evolution, the cutting edge. But without the amps that inspired and continue to inspire Cliff & company...

I think it's just hard to part with things you own. But I've noticed how good it is to sell things that you don't really like or use anyway, otherwise you'll feel guilty for not using it. Maintaining the hardware also costs time and money. I've been feeling better since the stuff went away. I could never have imagined this before, even though I had even equipped the Plexis with new circuit boards myself. I love to pimp cheap guitars. In past I had these Gibsons and Fenders and I more or less never tried to touch it - to expensive, I can't sell it anymore. Take a photo of it and get rid of the amps and guitars.

Last edited:
I think it's just hard to part with things you own. But I've noticed how good it is to sell things that you don't really like or use anyway, otherwise you'll feel guilty for not using it. Maintaining the hardware also costs time and money. I've been feeling better since the stuff went away. I could never have imagined this before, even though I had even equipped the Plexis with new circuit boards myself. I love to pimp cheap guitars. In past I had these Gibsons and Fenders and I more or less never tried to touch it - to expensive, I can't sell it anymore. Take a photo of it and get rid of the amps and guitars.
So I did, I would feel guilty too as I consider music as my second job to keep myself from spending all money I earn with it in new instruments and stuff...

but I still miss my Deluxe '65... 🤦🏻‍♂️

playing with real 4x12 cab in the room, I still prefer my real tube amps (Friedman BE deluxe / Revv Generator 120 MK3 / Bogner Uberschall.

For playing via monitors/headphones and occasionaly using 2x EV-PXM12MP´s - I use my AXE-FX 3.

different tools for different jobs.

One day i’ll try my axe3 through my 412, but mosly im lazy (move things around).

I keep seeing good deals on various amps, think about buying them, then remember I turn an amp on every 2ish months if that, mostly to make a clip to post to my secondary instagram (lunchtimetones). Not much point in a sweet 60s fender if Im going to reach for my superlead first.

Guitars are guaranteed useable regardless of volume constraints, so I go that route instead. Are real amps still fun? Yeah. Do i have a pedal being built? Yeah. Am I gonna use my axefx next time I play? Guaranteed.

Back
Top Bottom