Anyone still using a tube amp?

I still have quite a collection, EVH 5150, Mesa Dual Rec, Peavey XXX, Mesa Mark V, Fender SuperSonic, Marshal DSL 20, and PRS MT15. They are still fun, especially if you have a good attenuator. I love doing 4 cable method with the Axe, get to use the drives/compressors/wah into the front, and the chorus/flange/delay/reverb in the loop.

I still have quite a collection, EVH 5150, Mesa Dual Rec, Peavey XXX, Mesa Mark V, Fender SuperSonic, Marshal DSL 20, and PRS MT15. They are still fun, especially if you have a good attenuator. I love doing 4 cable method with the Axe, get to use the drives/compressors/wah into the front, and the chorus/flange/delay/reverb in the loop.
I dont like the whole attenuator thing because why am I spending more money to make the volume more managable? I have an axefx if i want that, which also doesnt cost me in tubes. Lots of amp owners seem to go the load box route these days and it boggles my brain a little bit haha.

Let em roar. If they cant roar, find a place where they can (hourly studio/planned empty house time/etc).

Or buy a fractal modeller, power amp (or your fx loop) and enjoy a dimed plexi without a plexi or load box at home volume through a real cab.

Not sure if thats a hot take, i should post it on another board to find out 😂

I dont like the whole attenuator thing because why am I spending more money to make the volume more managable? I have an axefx if i want that, which also doesnt cost me in tubes. Lots of amp owners seem to go the load box route these days and it boggles my brain a little bit haha.

Let em roar. If they cant roar, find a place where they can (hourly studio/planned empty house time/etc).

Or buy a fractal modeller, power amp (or your fx loop) and enjoy a dimed plexi without a plexi or load box at home volume through a real cab.

Not sure if thats a hot take, i should post it on another board to find out 😂
To be honest, its more out of concern for my hearing. I want to avoid hearing a constant busy tone when I get older.

Besides, I also enjoy tweaking the tone in post with IR's (and DynaCabs) to get good recorded tone.

All that being said, every once in awhile, I do throw caution to the wind and wire direct to my Mesa 2x12 and scare the neighbors with old obnoxious Slayer riffs.

Last edited:
I still use mine pretty regularly. Fryette Deliverance 120 or Fryette Sig:X into a 2x12.

For impromptu jams, it's just easier for me.

I wear earplugs every time I use them.

To be honest, its more out of concern for my hearing. I want to avoid hearing a constant busy tone when I get older.

Besides, I also enjoy tweaking the tone in post with IR's (and DynaCabs) to get good recorded tone.

All that being said, every once in awhile, I do throw caution to the wind and wire direct to my Mesa 2x12 and scare the neighbors with old obnoxious Slayer riffs.
Molded earplugs at -25dB reduction (or the max you can get) - then crank it.

just imagine, who many lyoner you could get instead :)

I do a lot of sub gigs, weddings, parties, clubs etc. And there are times, few and far between, when I will bring out my Headstrong Lil' King S amp and 906 mic, my pedalboard and a guitar. More than 90% of the time I am using my FM9 and I bring out my I.E.M. and if necessary I'll use them with my iPad to make my own mix. I'll never get rid of my amps, it took me Over the course of my life I've been fortunate to buy them and it just doesn't make sense to sell them off, yet.
What are you using to mix the iem from the ipad??

I have only had my fx3 for 12 days so all my tube amps are still here. I have no desire to sell them. Well there are a few I would like to get rid of but not my all tube amps. Just an SS and a couple small hybrid amps. I still love my tube amps also.

Got a G50 in the other day and I love it but the FM3 gets most of my attention regardless. The latest Revv voicing is also a hair different than what we have modeled in the Fractal world. IMG_2416.jpeg

I haven’t gotten to the point of trying the fx3 with my tube amps yet but I will. Nice list. I have the triple xxx super forty and a half stack. I love those amps the first two tube amps I ever bought. I consider all of my tube amps keepers JSX mini colossal, Vox Nighttrain, Nocturne Baby Blondeshell, Winfield Typhoon and Dust Devil. All keepers.

Last edited:
i bought my real amps for the rare times i get to use them. I would absolutely sell them first if I thought it wasnt worth having them around for “once in a while” (likely selling one, actually).

My JCM800 and DRRI are now room pieces I have to dust every once in a while. Because the Fractal is almost endless in it’s ability, it’s hard to venture away from it now.

Still have a Dual Rec and Roadster...havent really played them much in the past couple of years. Picked up an EVH Stealth about a week ago. Using this head with my FM9 in 4CM is so amazing and refreshing!! Kinda forgot how great tube amps can be and think I might be going this route for a while!

I don't own a tube amp since 2012 (bought a AF2 back in 2011 so everything else become obsolete) but a few times a year I spend some time with tube amps, just to "calibrate" my FM9 or whatever Fractal device I own with my guitats, lol...

Only reason for my keeping a modest combo amp/small effects board is for open-mic gigs where space constraints might be an issue regards my Duo 24/QSC CP8s. TBH, I'm kind of a wanna-be guitarist, not a practiced one who puts in the practice time each day because of obligations, so guitar is more likely a hobby when spare time allows.

My modest combo amp is my beloved Brunetti 35W Singleman 1x12 Combo, mostly used for cleans or EOB/Dumble-like tones. The Brunetti is a great clean platform that adapts to pedals well. Listen to Alberto Barrero do a 35W Singleman justice on YT, then you'll understand why I chose a Brunetti...

Back
Top Bottom