Announcing the OwnHammer High Gain Essentials

Man, I just LOVE the Mesa mixes. Did CK have any input with these? They're my new go-to iR's now.

Have to agree. They are the best of the three. The Diezels are good too but not quite as present as the Mesas. The Engl IRs have a tonality that I'm not as fond of. Not sure if I can find a use for them.

Very happy to hear everybody is digging these! :)

As noted a little further up, this is because of the tail length. If you go to the ..Wav\Truncated\48-kHz_Mono folder you'll note they are the same size. The ones in the Ultra-Res and Truncated folders are 200 ms long; the ones in the regular Wav folders are 500 ms long.

Kevin,

Does CabLab require you to truncate the .wav files or would it handle the longer .wav files and truncate as needed internally? (I do know CabLab requires mono .wav files for sure :) )

Sorry, thought I got them all but seems I missed this one! As for cabs and speakers, I currently have the following 4x12's in my possession:

- Bogner Standard
- Diezel rear loaded
- Engl Pro
- Krank Krankenstein
- Marshall 1960B (modern production)
- Marshall 1960B (vintage 70's checkerboard)
- Mesa Standard
- Mills Afterburner
- SLM 412
- Sunn 412s

Depending on how what I do put out sells and what pops up on Craigslist, I may add a couple more. ;)

Speakers, I have around 50 different makes/models, and will probably sample 15-20 or so for the High Gain stuff - classic leads, greenbacks, Lynchbacks, Scumbacks, etc. Would rather not give a list because things could be added or subtracted for one reason or another.

Sounds great! I can see I'll be buying a lot more from you!!
Already can't wait. ;)

Which sample rate is everyone using for Ultra Res? Whenever I load 96000hz mono wavs from the Mesa ENG30's pack into Cab Lab, and export a single IR to the scratch pad I get this weird combing reverb effect, but when I use the 44.1 wavs theres no reverb except now their dull in the high end? I'm connecting to axe fx II v1 with USB on a late 2013 IMac

Which sample rate is everyone using for Ultra Res? Whenever I load 96000hz mono wavs from the Mesa ENG30's pack into Cab Lab, and export a single IR to the scratch pad I get this weird combing reverb effect, but when I use the 44.1 wavs theres no reverb except now their dull in the high end? I'm connecting to axe fx II v1 with USB on a late 2013 IMac

You should use the 48K mono wave files or better yet, the wave files Kevin prep'd for CabLab in the Axe-Fx II directory.

Terry.

Man, I just LOVE the Mesa mixes. Did CK have any input with these? They're my new go-to iR's now.

A couple of the beta testers had a big influence either directly or indirectly on how some of the elements came into being or ended up, however the gear and techniques used were me being selfish and doing what I wanted without trying to chase some trend I didn't agree with (for example, I'm not a big fan of 1073 mic amps, but people want that whether they know what they're asking for or not). These are how I like tones to sound, and used some tricks I have in my back pocket that I've never heard of anyone using before, as well as the primary construct being based around something I picked up from producer/engineer/guitarist/songwriter Kato Khandwala. Check out his credit list, some of those albums will have similar setups (core methodology wise, specifics do vary) for the heavy rhythm guitars:

Kato Khandwala | Credits | AllMusic

Kevin,

Does CabLab require you to truncate the .wav files or would it handle the longer .wav files and truncate as needed internally? (I do know CabLab requires mono .wav files for sure :) )

I think it will truncate it no matter how long it is, I just made them smaller like that to save space for both myself and end users. When you're talking about the hundreds of these types of libraries I'm hoping to put out between all the High, Mid, and Low gain subsections, those things add up, no sense wasting resources!

Sounds great! I can see I'll be buying a lot more from you!!
Already can't wait. ;)

Happy to hear, looking forward to sampling all that stuff, due to some exclusions I'll not mention directly, these are not so much of a pain in the butt for me to make! :lol

Grab the Axe-Fx-II.zip file, the appropriate .wav files for Ultra-Res conversion are in the ..\Axe-Fx-II\Ultra-Res\.. folder. :)

*EDIT* Looks like you've spotted those now.

Last edited:
You guys are giving me GAS!!!!!!!!! (well, I guess this is more 'IR-AS').
I guess I'm going to be buying these tomorrow.....

Anyone find a cab that sounds similar to the Basketweave TV?
I know these are very different cabs....but you never know.

Best $9/ea you'll ever spend on gear.

I got the EN's in all cabs. I would say the Diezel is closest IMO. Still kinda' its own thing though.

As noted a little further up, this is because of the tail length. If you go to the ..Wav\Truncated\48-kHz_Mono folder you'll note they are the same size. The ones in the Ultra-Res and Truncated folders are 200 ms long; the ones in the regular Wav folders are 500 ms long.

Kevin - Is this simply a file size / convenience thing or could one infer from this that using the truncated files on the previous libraries will yield something better? I think most everyone is using 48kHz mono to convert the older libraries to UR. Have you learned anything along the way that would say we should be using something else until such time as the libraries get updated with the "special" WAVs as you indicated earlier? Just looking to make sure I/we am getting the best possible UR performance out of the older libraries. :) Thanks!

Have you considered a "mixes only" bundle? E.g. All the high gain "mix" IR's in one bundle?

A sampler like that would appeal to me, to get started and help me pick which individual set I would like before I get all the different mic positions etc.

:) I love this. Is that a known term, or did you make it up?

Made up, I was hoping I didn't sound like Simple Jack with that one. My son loves dinosaurs, so Jurassic Park has been something that has been in regular rotation the last few years. Dr. Ian Malcolm must have rubbed off on me a little. :lol

Subject to chaos ... a la ... Professor Chaos? :eek:

View attachment 21351

Perhaps this is more accurate!

Kevin - Is this simply a file size / convenience thing or could one infer from this that using the truncated files on the previous libraries will yield something better? I think most everyone is using 48kHz mono to convert the older libraries to UR. Have you learned anything along the way that would say we should be using something else until such time as the libraries get updated with the "special" WAVs as you indicated earlier? Just looking to make sure I/we am getting the best possible UR performance out of the older libraries. :) Thanks!

The ..\Wav\Truncated\.. folder contents are only in existence because S-Gear won't load files larger than 20,000 samples. I want them to be 500 ms to get more low level room nuance. :)

The files in the ..\Axe-Fx-II\Ultra-Res\.. folder are truncated a little bit above the length requirement of Ultra-Res (to my recollection it's around 167 ms, so 200 is a close round number for my OCD), and they are non-minimum phase transformed so as to avoid unnecessary cascading of multiple transforms. Some files may benefit from this, some may not, but I don't think most would know the difference. My thoughts are this is best practice in the theoretical sensibility.

Have you considered a "mixes only" bundle? E.g. All the high gain "mix" IR's in one bundle?

A sampler like that would appeal to me, to get started and help me pick which individual set I would like before I get all the different mic positions etc.

Ummm.... no comment for now? :lol Typically when something I do reaches market, I've had the idea or a prototype of it at least a year in advance; my queue is just always full. I always have new things I'm concocting, have lots I'm sketching out now, and I've learned to keep fledgeling ideas close to the vest until they become men. ;) I can safely say that right now I have no intentions of providing any libraries where I organize or present any duplicates/highlights/etc in separate collections/bundles. Learned the lesson of overlap before when I had a-la-carte format options. However I will sleep on it for when the day comes that I could present a bundle that would contain enough content to justify doing so.

Last edited:
Hello everyone,

I am happy to announce a new set of library projects dubbed the High Gain Essentials. What is "essential" about them? They provision everything you need and nothing you don't for killer high gain tone in the studio, on stage, and at home - and, well, they sound so good you simply shouldn't be without them. I may be biased, but from some of the sound clips the beta testers have posted over in the recording forum, maybe not. :)

There are many, many more cabinets and speakers to come, however the first batch contains 9 single libraries, which you can find here:

High Gain Essentials: OwnHammer.com - Store

So far I couldn't recommend any one over another, the reason these are in the first run is there really isn't a bad one in the bunch. All very different sounding, and all have different sweet spots. As a recommendation for a place to start in the auditioning process, for me personally I like position 05 for the V30-CH-08, position 08 for the V30-CH-16, and position 03 for the V30-EN. Your mileage may vary. The cabs and power amp options will suit different sources and tonal aesthetics to taste.

Lastly, for those with Cab-Lab wanting to convert the .wav files to Ultra-Res, download the Axe-Fx-II.zip and the docs.zip. I have specially prepped files for this task in the Axe-Fx-II.zip as opposed to the Wave-Audio.zip. More info is in the PDF manual.

Hope everyone digs them!

Cool Kevin!, is there a way to bundle buy all of them?

Back
Top Bottom