Announcing the OwnHammer High Gain Essentials

I love the last Mesa v2 update pre this release. Are these new ultra ir for Mesa much different?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Kevin. Grabbed them all and I really like what I'm hearing with them so far. It's early here so I'm stuck in a pair of cans auditioning them, but can't wait to give them a try later through my Xitones. Awesome set and they are exactly what I was waiting for.

I love the last Mesa v2 update pre this release. Are these new ultra ir for Mesa much different?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My ears are just hearing more clarity in the new versions, compared to the V2's. They are seriously impressive.

Excuse my newbie questions here, but why don't these just come in UltraRes format? How would I convert them to this format?

Considering buying, but still unsure.. Anyone who bought the whole deal, who's willing to do some comparison clips?
Would be nice to hear each of the different speakers in each of the cabs. It might just be me who doesn't have enough knowledge about the sound difference between the different versions of the V30 speakers..

Thanks seed for the vid, this gives me an idea of which pack I want to buy...for now. :)

Question to Ownhammer: Will all these other cab/speaker yet to come be included with these packs, or will we need to buy them separately?
Either way I'm buying some, you're IR's kickass man!!

Also, can you tell us what cabs/speakers are yet to come?

Thanks for the kind words and support guys, and extra props and thanks to the guys who have put the time into already making some clips, infinitely appreciated! :)

Is it a big difference in the sound between 8 and 16 ohm?

Definitely, at least as large if not larger than the difference between the 8 ohm Chinese and 8 ohm English speaker. Crazy!

Hey Kevin, could you tell me which cabinets would come stock with which speakers? I know the Mesa would come stock with the V30EN, right? But I am not sure about the others.

The V30-EN is stock in the Mesa cabs, and the V30-CH-08 is stock in the Diezel and Engl cabs. I pulled the V30-CH-16 from my Bogner Standard 4x12, my SLM also came stock with 16 ohm's.

And can different 4x12's, with the same exact speakers, really make a noticeable difference in tone?

Absolutely, sometimes as large as the difference between two similar speaker types.

I assume the WAV files are of the right length to gain the UR advantage?

And then some. Check out the PDF Manual at the bottom of one of the product pages and skip to the Fractal Audio Format Files section toward the bottom. There's some info there in the Ultra-Res subcategory.

Different outboard, different sampling methodology and mic placements, plus you get the tube power amp options. You can probably get one or two files to sound similar, but nowhere near identical and that's about as close as they come. In as close of an apples to apples placement comparison that is possible, these new ones will have more clarity. Take away from just the V2 MES V30-EN : HGE MES-ST V30-EN, with the other libraries you have totally different speaker options at your disposal as well.

Excuse my newbie questions here, but why don't these just come in UltraRes format?

Commercial use license restrictions.

How would I convert them to this format?

Cab-Lab from the Fractal Audio web store:

Cab-Lab - Axe-Fx II Cab IR Mixer

Useful for WAY more than just converting files. In time you'll likely use the crap out of it and love every minute of it; highly recommended!

Way too much trouble for an inexperienced newbie who just wants a plug 'n play solution. Why don't these just come in UltraRes format?
From what I understand if the vendor distributes UltraRes IR's he has to pay licensing fees to FAS. That means that the cost of each pack is going to go up to some degree; not sure what that amount is and it's not really my business. But the vendor can definitely sell his IR's in wave format that are as long as he wants them to be without having to deal with licensing and the end user can do whatever they want with them.

Interestingly the only way to convert them to UltraRes is to own CabLab....which means that the "licensing" is on the end user, but in the form of a one time payment.....plus you get everything that CabLab has to offer which is a real value at $29.95.

I quickly went through thousands of free IR's that I've downloaded over the years and any set that was 170ms or longer I went ahead and converted to UltraRes. Took me an afternoon to go through and organize everything, but I have thousands and thousands of UltraRes IR's now that are ready to mix. Now don't mistake the amount of time it took me with how slow the process of conversion is; it can whip through an entire folder with hundreds of IR's from seconds to a few minutes at most. The time eater was going through the mess that I had created over the years that I called a collection.

The ability to convert all of those to UltraRes alone was worth $29.95 to me.

From what I understand if the vendor distributes UltraRes IR's he has to pay licensing fees to FAS. That means that the cost of each pack is going to go up to some degree; not sure what that amount is and it's not really my business. But the vendor can definitely sell his IR's in wave format that are as long as he wants them to be without having to deal with licensing and the end user can do whatever they want with them.

Interestingly the only way to convert them to UltraRes is to own CabLab....which means that the "licensing" is on the end user, but in the form of a one time payment.....plus you get everything that CabLab has to offer which is a real value at $29.95.

I quickly went through thousands of free IR's that I've downloaded over the years and any set that was 170ms or longer I went ahead and converted to UltraRes. Took me an afternoon to go through and organize everything, but I have thousands and thousands of UltraRes IR's now that are ready to mix. Now don't mistake the amount of time it took me with how slow the process of conversion is; it can whip through an entire folder with hundreds of IR's from seconds to a few minutes at most. The time eater was going through the mess that I had created over the years that I called a collection.

The ability to convert all of those to UltraRes alone was worth $29.95 to me.

How difficult is it to get up to speed with Cab Labs (just coming in fresh into Axe FX recently)?

How difficult is it to get up to speed with Cab Labs (just coming in fresh into Axe FX recently)?
Dead simple. Seriously. Install it. You can load up to 8 IR's in the mixer (top of the app). The sliders below set how high the corresponding IR is in that IR mix. In the AxeFXII just select the scratchpad (last slot in the User IR slots). Name the IR in CabLab (you always have to name it first for some reason) and then select "send to scratchpad". When you find that grammy winning mix you can save it to a slot or save the session which will load the IR's and mixer settings when you reload it or export it as an UltraRes IR to the computer.

Guess this was missed.

Can you tell us what cabs/speakers are yet to come? And will these have to be a separate purchase or part of these libraries?

I've bought one Pack, but the download takes very long and ends then suddenly. then, when I try do unzip the file, it says the file is not valid.

it worked now - it took some time - but I have the pack now and look forward....:encouragement:

Last edited:
Guess this was missed.

Can you tell us what cabs/speakers are yet to come? And will these have to be a separate purchase or part of these libraries?

Sorry, thought I got them all but seems I missed this one! As for cabs and speakers, I currently have the following 4x12's in my possession:

- Bogner Standard
- Diezel rear loaded
- Engl Pro
- Krank Krankenstein
- Marshall 1960B (modern production)
- Marshall 1960B (vintage 70's checkerboard)
- Mesa Standard
- Mills Afterburner
- SLM 412
- Sunn 412s

Depending on how what I do put out sells and what pops up on Craigslist, I may add a couple more. ;)

Speakers, I have around 50 different makes/models, and will probably sample 15-20 or so for the High Gain stuff - classic leads, greenbacks, Lynchbacks, Scumbacks, etc. Would rather not give a list because things could be added or subtracted for one reason or another.

I've bought one Pack, but the download takes very long and ends then suddenly. then, when I try do unzip the file, it says the file is not valid.

I have seen this happen for two reasons:
- Downloading more than one thing at a time
- Roughly 0.2% of customers report having very slow connections to the data center of my hosting provider, and process of elimination has brought it down to it being the ISP the client is using - for whatever reason they just don't like talking to each other.

Please try them one at a time and if it doesn't go through shoot me a message through the OwnHammer Contact Portal

Considering buying, but still unsure.. Anyone who bought the whole deal, who's willing to do some comparison clips?
Would be nice to hear each of the different speakers in each of the cabs. It might just be me who doesn't have enough knowledge about the sound difference between the different versions of the V30 speakers..

This packs are absolute MUST HAVE for anyone who are about high gain tone. In fact they are very versatile.
Start with buying each of the pack loaded with V30 EN
Start from MESA for example, it's a classic.
There is almost no point in making comparison records, cause each of this pack is very good.

$9 is not huge amount of money even I in time of military crisis in my country can afford it :)

Back
Top Bottom