Announcing the OwnHammer High Gain Essentials

I'm loving this IRs... they really hold up the aggressiveness of whats needed throughout the mix and mastering phase.

Here is that same track with aggressive mastering with IZOTOPE.

Support - Solidly

Good to see your focus on your music even in midst of such uncertainty

Thank you. Fractal and now Ownhammer keeps me away from watching news and over reacting on what's happening on the streets.

2 nicolasrivera

maybe you compressed your track too hard?
by the way, try to using Fabfilter pro-l as a mastring limiter, it's one of the best, i think it's better then iZotope's.

These sound amazing Kevin... stuff like this just keeps making guitar playing more and more fun! Thanks again for your hard work...

I'm beginning to struggle with these impulses. Don't get me wrong these are the best sounding impulses I've ever used, but I'm hung up on either to use the live vs studio impulses??? Why are there the different versions? Shouldn't the sound of a cabinet be the same either in a live venue or being miked in the studio for recording purposes?

I'm torn because I didn't realize I was loading the "live" impulses originally, and I immediately fell in love with them. After I realized I was using the "live" impulses, I loaded the studio impulses because I believe I probably should be using the studio versions for what I do... (I play through a Universal Audio Apollo into JBL LSR4326P monitors and everything is hooked up through my DAW/CUBASE for recording with clients) Anyway... I don't know if I like the "studio" impulses as much as I do the "live".

Why are the "live" impulses better suited to a "live" situation and why are the "studio" better for "studio" situations? Are certain frequencies of the studio impulses tweaked for better mix results? Really confused here.

Also... Before I knew what I was doing, I loaded up the first mix impulses just thinking the number had to do with the mic that was used. I didn't realize I was falling in love with impulses derived from a TUBE AMP!!! ARGH!!! Over the weekend I realized it and made Ultra Res versions of all the solid state impulses and again, I don't think I liked them as much as the impulses from the tube power amp. :( I always thought this should be a big no-no, but my ears are telling me something very different than what I expected.

Are you guys preferring the solid state or tube power amp impulses?

All in all... these are all great problems to have. Tearing my hair out because I'm having such a difficult time choosing from so many amazing sounding impluses! Oh woe is me! :)

I'm beginning to struggle with these impulses. Don't get me wrong these are the best sounding impulses I've ever used, but I'm hung up on either to use the live vs studio impulses??? Why are there the different versions? Shouldn't the sound of a cabinet be the same either in a live venue or being miked in the studio for recording purposes?

I'm torn because I didn't realize I was loading the "live" impulses originally, and I immediately fell in love with them. After I realized I was using the "live" impulses, I loaded the studio impulses because I believe I probably should be using the studio versions for what I do... (I play through a Universal Audio Apollo into JBL LSR4326P monitors and everything is hooked up through my DAW/CUBASE for recording with clients) Anyway... I don't know if I like the "studio" impulses as much as I do the "live".

Why are the "live" impulses better suited to a "live" situation and why are the "studio" better for "studio" situations? Are certain frequencies of the studio impulses tweaked for better mix results? Really confused here.

Also... Before I knew what I was doing, I loaded up the first mix impulses just thinking the number had to do with the mic that was used. I didn't realize I was falling in love with impulses derived from a TUBE AMP!!! ARGH!!! Over the weekend I realized it and made Ultra Res versions of all the solid state impulses and again, I don't think I liked them as much as the impulses from the tube power amp. :( I always thought this should be a big no-no, but my ears are telling me something very different than what I expected.

All in all... these are all great problems to have. Tearing my hair out because I'm having such a difficult time choosing from so many amazing sounding impluses! Oh woe is me! :)

All i can say is trust your ears. There are so many that more then one will be the right one for that day... maybe the next day you will not be loving that IR so much and then find another one.

If it sounds good it sounds good...You don't need to overanalyze it. :) You tried both options and you know which ones you like. That should be the end of that decision :)

That said I go for the solid state versions - I haven't yet tried this latest batch - but I do end up loading tube versions and compare just to make sure.

Stop panicking, there's no right or wrong. AFAIK, the Studio mixes sound a little thinner, so that they can be dual or quad tracked etc. The Lives mixes are tweaked to cut through a live mix. As far as right or wrong, it's all about whatever your ears like. I've used studio mixes for live situations before. I've mixed Solid State and Tube impulses before. That's the beauty of it.

I wouldn't over-think it so much. My situation is about the polar opposite of yours, yet I'm digging the studio mixes the most. I also thought I was going to prefer the SS over the tube PA (to better hear the modeled amp's PA), but more often than not I'm going with one of the tube PA mixes (usually the EL34 one, which was an even bigger shocker for me).
In the end, what sounds right IS right.
That, and these are so damn amazing it's tough to go wrong either way.

btw, has anyone else tried making UR IRs with the longer WAV samples? I tried this the other day just for kicks, and I was getting some very strange (not altogether bad, but unexpected) overtones. When I went back to use the ones in the Axe II file, those overtones were gone (for the better, in this case).
Just want to know if anyone has had a similar experience?

Matt, if it helps:

The Live mixes have the MD421 in them, which was positioned to be very warm and cone-y. Their presence in the mix also lowers the presence of the mix, if I may try to inject a (barely) clever play on words. :lol There were some instances, rare, but they did happen and I can't remember for what speaker but I know it was the Diezel cab, where I liked an IR from the Live mixes for a studio track more than the Studio version of that same position. It was just the way the IR interacted with that specific source in that specific mix. This was exactly why I rephrased and restated the "these are not rules, but merely suggestions" type of verbiage in that section of the PDF:

---| CUT |---

THE MIXES

The mixes are subdivided into two voicings – Live and Studio. These are, however, merely suggestions and not rules that must be followed in any or all situations. Experiment to see which voicing best suits the amp and sound you are going for, and know that the inherent tonal relationship between the two voicings can change from cabinet to cabinet and speaker to speaker in different OwnHammer High Gain Essentials libraries. Overall, the Live mixes will have more lower mid weight, and the Studio mixes will sound more direct.

LIVE

Custom mixes of the 57, 421, and 121 mic options.

Mix ##’s 01 through 10 are a reference to the 57 IR ##’s used in that combination, and not different mic balance levels or any other variable change. For example:

Live 00 = 57 00 + 121 HG + 421 HG
Live 01 = 57 01 + 121 HG + 421 HG
Live 02 = 57 02 + 121 HG + 421 HG
And so on, and so forth.

The Live mixes are primarily intended for, but certainly not limited to, use with FRFR (full range flat response) monitoring and the feed to FOH (front of house) for live settings.

STUDIO

Custom mixes of the 57 and 121 mic options.

Mix ##’s 01 through 10 are a reference to the 57 IR ##’s used in that combination, and not different mic balance levels or any other variable change. For example:

Studio 00 = 57 00 + 121 HG
Studio 01 = 57 01 + 121 HG
Studio 02 = 57 02 + 121 HG
And so on, and so forth.

The Studio mixes are primarily intended for, but certainly not limited to, use in studio recordings.

---| END CUT |---

As it pertains to power amps:

When I tested these with my tube preamps and DAW based power amp sims, I liked it with the Solid State power amp option. When I tested these with the Axe-Fx II, I (and I can't think of one other Axe-Fx II using beta tester that didn't also agree) mostly preferred the EL34 power amp option.

Go with whatever sounds good, and toss the concept of simulation and what "should be" out the window, it will only hold you back. If it's too much of a mind-***k, just click around until it sounds good. Happy accidents are what make some things in audio and music creation and production amazing, and in fact there were a couple that went into creating these. I say embrace it! :)

Oh, and I wouldn't personally recommend the Studio mixes outside of a mixing environment. They may work, but I'd imagine playing to them as a guitarist could sound harsh and or lacking in the body department. Not something you want to jam to, but will save your arse in a dense full production mix. At that, an in your face, commercially bright full production mix, not everybody is going for that so the Live ones may work better there as well, and are also VASTLY dependent on the source.

Matt, if it helps:

The Live mixes have the MD421 in them, which was positioned to be very warm and cone-y. Their presence in the mix also lowers the presence of the mix, if I may try to inject a (barely) clever play on words. :lol There were some instances, rare, but they did happen and I can't remember for what speaker but I know it was the Diezel cab, where I liked an IR from the Live mixes for a studio track more than the Studio version of that same position. It was just the way the IR interacted with that specific source in that specific mix. This was exactly why I rephrased and restated the "these are not rules, but merely suggestions" type of verbiage in that section of the PDF:

---| CUT |---

THE MIXES

The mixes are subdivided into two voicings – Live and Studio. These are, however, merely suggestions and not rules that must be followed in any or all situations. Experiment to see which voicing best suits the amp and sound you are going for, and know that the inherent tonal relationship between the two voicings can change from cabinet to cabinet and speaker to speaker in different OwnHammer High Gain Essentials libraries. Overall, the Live mixes will have more lower mid weight, and the Studio mixes will sound more direct.

LIVE

Custom mixes of the 57, 421, and 121 mic options.

Live 00 = 57 00 + 121 HG + 421 HG
Live 01 = 57 01 + 121 HG + 421 HG
Live 02 = 57 02 + 121 HG + 421 HG
And so on, and so forth.

The Live mixes are primarily intended for, but certainly not limited to, use with FRFR (full range flat response) monitoring and the feed to FOH (front of house) for live settings.

STUDIO

Custom mixes of the 57 and 121 mic options.

Studio 00 = 57 00 + 121 HG
Studio 01 = 57 01 + 121 HG
Studio 02 = 57 02 + 121 HG
And so on, and so forth.

The Studio mixes are primarily intended for, but certainly not limited to, use in studio recordings.

---| END CUT |---

As it pertains to power amps:

When I tested these with my tube preamps and DAW based power amp sims, I liked it with the Solid State power amp option. When I tested these with the Axe-Fx II, I (and I can't think of one other Axe-Fx II using beta tester that didn't also agree) mostly preferred the EL34 power amp option.

Go with whatever sounds good, and toss the concept of simulation and what "should be" out the window, it will only hold you back. If it's too much of a mind-***k, just click around until it sounds good. Happy accidents are what make some things in audio and music creation and production amazing, and in fact there were a couple that went into creating these. I say embrace it! :)

Oh, and I wouldn't personally recommend the Studio mixes outside of a mixing environment. They may work, but I'd imagine playing to them as a guitarist could sound harsh and or lacking in the body department. Not something you want to jam to, but will save your arse in a dense full production mix. At that, an in your face, commercially bright full production mix, not everybody is going for that so the Live ones may work better there as well, and are also VASTLY dependent on the source.

Kevin, I very much appreciate your discussion on these points, particularly... "so the Live ones may work better there as well, and are also VASTLY dependent on the source". That's what I was looking for. Everything you mentioned I had pretty much come to that conclusion on my own, but I wasn't expecting to per all my previous experience, it was really bugging me! Like I said, having so many incredible options at hand is a great problem to have. Thank you so much for complicating my life with all these difficult decisions! Loving it. Thanks again! :)

With all of these great IRs I keep finding new favorites.
One thing I've been doing to a/b quickly is I put my current 'fav' cab in the 'x' slot in my cab block, and in the 'y' slot I put the scatch pad.
I put the cab on 'y' and start clicking through my OwnHammer folder, and thanks to AlGrenadines Cab audition, the cabs are loading instantly to scratch pad. When I find one I think I really like, I flip over to 'x' to compare to my current favorite cab. It gives me quick perspective on if its a keeper or not.
And if I like them both....then I drag and drop them into cab lab for mixing!
The only complaint I have about the process,is not being able to mix and hear in real time in cab lab....

With all of these great IRs I keep finding new favorites.
One thing I've been doing to a/b quickly is I put my current 'fav' cab in the 'x' slot in my cab block, and in the 'y' slot I put the scatch pad.
I put the cab on 'y' and start clicking through my OwnHammer folder, and thanks to AlGrenadines Cab audition, the cabs are loading instantly to scratch pad. When I find one I think I really like, I flip over to 'x' to compare to my current favorite cab. It gives me quick perspective on if its a keeper or not.
And if I like them both....then I drag and drop them into cab lab for mixing!
The only complaint I have about the process,is not being able to mix and hear in real time in cab lab....

Or a graphic representation or what one is hearing, which is my biggest wish for the app.

Just amazing IRs! OwnHammer did it again!

I bought Diezel V30 CH 8, Engl V30 CH 8 and Mesa V30 EN.

I had some time to test these IRs and they are pure gold.
My favorite IR atm is Mesa V30 EN Studio SLST 5 mix and the EL34 version of the same mix.

But most likely, tomorrow i'll be having a new favorite. That's just me. :)

With Axe FX II, i have freedom. Haha! :D

bought the Mesa V30 EN pack.
These all sound very good, I am having a really hard time picking a favorite to use.

Bought all of them. So far they seem very nice! Clarity and tightness are the keywords.
I like them being numbered 0-10, brighter to darker. Don't mess with that layout in future releases, Kevin!

Back
Top Bottom