allan holdsworth tone

For recording purpose i made a full dry patch (just roll off all delays) and wet settings in my DAW with Waves SuperTaps.
I know you tired from me :lol: - but here one more holdsworish sound demo (setting from Yamaha UD Stereo Enhanced Lead Solo Patch 1)
http://webfile.ru/4584365

:idea:
.........BTW I will use this wet/dry delay concept for other tones (Landau, Henderson, Luke, Hinds...) - its very powerfull and flexible for getting a big FAT sound.

yeah, i've already made a couple of clean patches - one for picking and one for swells. they sound great.

the guy in that video needs to learn how to use his volume pedal!

LOL, I know,

you have to wait until it's up to fire the next chord :mrgreen:

During a time, I was into searching for UD-Stomps and Magic Stomps on Ebay, they were discontinued yet.
Great to listen they can be emulated with the AxeFx

Im searching good vst delay for DAW - analog of yamaha ud stomp. It must be multidelay with different rate LFO for each chanel. Maybe someone knows? :?:

Honestly these seem to have more life than AH tone. I wouldn't say better or worse, just more lively. Personally I prefer them :D Can't wait to get an Axe!

squidlips said:
Honestly these seem to have more life than AH tone. I wouldn't say better or worse, just more lively. Personally I prefer them :D Can't wait to get an Axe!
Yeah, i agree. AH is more compressed and more flat.

Ooops, just realized that it was last meshuggah patch in this demo (they all have the same name) :lol:
Maybe later i will record some demo with new AH patch. sorry :| ...

nice one!

funny to hear that backing track again - i made it quite a few years ago when the old allan holdsworth forum was active so we could all have a blow over it and here it is again on the axe fx forum...life is full of little circles....!

Wow - its your BT? :eek: Great! But can you do a new version with more "life" instruments, especially the drums :roll:

lol! yeah, that beat is a bit strange....i used Band in a Box to make most of it and that was the best 6/4 groove it had. i might make another one sometime that's a bit closer to the original tony williams version, if i have a spare couple of days...!

sim

magoga said:
This shredding is lack of normal phrasing, but this kind of gainy sound forces you to show you chops :lol:
huh?

the tone you demoed sounds really nice and allan-y, but i'm hearing some attributes which lead me to be skeptical of using it for really fast fluid legato playing. it doesn't sound like it would track fast lines as well.

mentoneman, i dont know what you mean by tracking fast legato lines. You can play fast legato on any sound, even acoustic - its all about technics :|

magoga said:
mentoneman, i dont know what you mean by tracking fast legato lines. You can play fast legato on any sound, even acoustic - its all about technics :|

yes, and no :mrgreen:

please know that i'm not intending any disrespect to your playing at all or trying to suggest that you can't play legato like allan. i sure as heck know i cannot!

i've been a fan of allan since 82 and have seen him live 6-7 times at least over the years and checked out his rig every chance i had.

allan is technically playing each and every note we are hearing when he does his thing, and if you listen to his early release "velvet darkness" he plays an acoustic guitar and violin in typical allan virtuoso legato fashion, but he also:

1) has loads of gain happening, he just crafts his sound so you don't hear the gnarl of high gain distortion, and early on used his load boxes(juice extractor) on his dual rectos into mesa strategy 295s and tc 1140 parametric eqs and tc line drivers to achieve horn like smoothness, horn like tone envelope and touch sensitivity, and stacked delays to add sustain and his clean chorused sounds. now he does it digitally.

2) has low action so he can "blow" on the strings. i spoke with his guitar tech, mike pitillo/aka the guitar doctor in fountain valley, who has set up my guitars as well, regarding allan's setup.
allan has stated in interviews that he has refined his technique so that the unpicked notes are as loud as the picked notes. you can see and hear this when he plays. when he frets the note hard it chirps and when he caresses the note it is fatter like a horn.

mentoneman, thanx for detail info, but as i said early its not the AH patch - its more Meshuggah one (btw i hear some Gambale here). And as you mention the main thing besides the gear that makes Allan great virtuoso is his caring for each note, it needs years of practicing.

just a little update and some interesting info

one of allan's lead tones that i really love is from the tune You Came Along from Chad Wackerman's Forty Reasons

i always use the beginning of allan's solo in this tune as a kind of reference when trying to get a really singing "brown" sound with loads of bloom. its quite a meaty tone and quite gainy (for allan) but really sweet

i tried tonight (on headphones, so not ideal) and tested the usa leads, the mkII and the fas leads to see which one seemed closest. and it was the fas lead 2.

i had it set up like this
gain 7.64
bass 2.01
mid 5
treble 5,98 (bright off)
pres 2.05
master 8.54

running through a 1x12 and 2x12 brit cabs, both miked with u87's. drive set at 2 and 67% air at 3105Hz

i have a dynamic bass cut filter in front of the amp

i'll have to test this through speakers to see if it's really any good, but a/b ing with the recorded solo on cans, it was pretty close. might need a bit more treble, perhaps...i dunno

i was also driving the amp with a fet boost with everything set at default except the level, which was on about 7. you may not need this, as the guitar i was using has very low output

might sound rubbish through your speakers, but just thought i'd share.

sim

Back
Top Bottom